Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,476 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I currently live in Boston and am considering moving to Denver. I've lived in Boston for 8 years and can't take the weather or the people any longer. The winters have been getting longer and grayer with each passing year. I moved here from Coral Springs, Florida and loved the season changes for the first few years. However, recently the only season's are winter and summer, and the summers are getting shorter and shorter. I don't mind the cold, in fact, fall is my favorite season. I love the smell of the crisp area and burning leaves. I have a golden retriever and she loves the snow. My only requirement is seeing the sun more than a couple days each month. I suffer from SAD and have a light therapy lamp, but nothing replaces the actual sun.

I'm 39, single (never married) and have no children. I've wanted it this way, until now. I'm starting to feel the urge to settle down. What is the social life like in Denver? I love the city of Boston. It's so rich with history and so sustainable, however, the people are not very welcoming. It's very hard to meet people and make friends here. Everyone I've met who has relocated here have all said the same thing. People here think they're better than everyone else and they're in such a hurry, to get nowhere. After eight years I still don't understand it. I'm a pretty laid back, easy going person and have had a difficult time living here. I'm the type of person who prefers a few close friends rather than a large circle of acquaintances. I have made some friends here, but only one remains. The others have moved away.

I plan to visit Denver this winter to scout locations. Can anyone help me with the geography of the city and surrounding areas? What area's are safe? I've always lived on the water, and am concerned about being land-locked. So, being close to a lake would be nice, but I also want to be relatively close to the city. Also, are back yard swimming pools common in Denver? Although I currently live 3 blocks from the beach, I've missed having a swimming pool since leaving Florida. I guess a pool is a luxury I took for granted.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Lots of sunlight here, even in winter.

Backyard pools are NOT common, though public pools are available at many rec centers or commercial fitness venues.

Lots of social life. Use the advanced Search Tool with keywords like: social or single or lake

Check out a map of the area, there are lakes, though most are too cold for swimming even in summer, but at least you can get some views. Once you see lakes on the map and get the name of the town or area of Denver, look in the index for threads on that town or part of Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 PM

90 posts, read 368,098 times
Lots of Denver metro are is safe. Being from an east coast city myself (DC area) I can say that there are no real ghettos like you might see. Northern Aurora may be the closest you get because even Denver itself isn't that bad.

It's funny you mention the people in Boston. Here in Denver, they are VERY nice. Denver natives may not know this because they haven't lived in the Boston-Washington corridor, the most densely populated part of the United States where people are much colder and a hell of a lot less hospitable.

As far as being close to a lake, keep in mind Denver metro lakes don't have the ambiance like those east coast lakes with all the plush green trees and such. However, there are lakes around the metro area, although none of them are very big and most are surrounded with brown prarie.

As far as swimming pools, you can probably get a place with one, but most people around here prefer activities like hiking, fishing, camping versus chilling in their backyard pool.

In terms of sunny days, Denver has a ridiculous amount of sunny days. In fact it's not uncommon to wear a winter coat, get inside your car and sweat your ass off because the sun is turning your car into a greenhouse because the sun is so close to you (being at high elevation).

Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
Yep we're 92 million miles away from the sun vs. 93 million if you are in Boston.

Not as many pools, but big neighborhood/rec pools instead. They are actually a good social outlet.

People are not really into a hurry here, pretty laid back.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM

291 posts, read 911,640 times
I think the others pretty well made their points, well. If you're coming out over the winter to check it out, be aware that you may have a hit or miss proposition that really wouldn't represent what our winters are like. I depends on how many days you'll be here, but what I'm say is that you could come out during a period of snow, and that wouldn't faily represent our winters, or you could come out during one of our stretches of warm, sunshine filled days where a coat is optional. That wouldn't be normal, either. We get them both here, but when it snows it doesn't last long and warms back up in a few days and the snow melts. You may want to bookmark the weather channel's online site and follow our weather during the winter. Keep in mind, that due to our low humidity and high elevation, that a 55 degree day here, would feel like a day in the high 60's in Boston.
I grew up in Wisconsin and I know all about lakes and I did miss them when I got here. Our major lakes have been created as a form of flood control and have been made into state parks. Because of this, they don't have houses aroung them. There are some smaller lakes sprinkled amoung the city and suburbs, but they aren't usually for swimming, but mostly for water storage.
There also aren't very many back yard swimming pools. The don't add value to a property, so most people don't go to the expense of putting one in. Plus with the size of lots shrinking over the years, back yard pools take up too much room.
Boston sounds like Milwaukee, where I lived for a few years after college. The people were nice but they didn't readily open up. It took awhile to get accepted into their groups. Totally the opposite out here. People that relocate tend to be more out going, and this town is loaded with transplants.
I can't advise you on the social life for singles, as I've been married for 25 years. But you might try this web site to get a feel for what the city offers. It's yelp.com.
Good luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrclark View Post
My only requirement is seeing the sun more than a couple days each month. I suffer from SAD and have a light therapy lamp, but nothing replaces the actual sun.
Well, for you Colorado is the place to be. No shortage of sun here.

Quote:
I'm 39, single (never married) and have no children. I've wanted it this way, until now. I'm starting to feel the urge to settle down. What is the social life like in Denver? I love the city of Boston. It's so rich with history and so sustainable, however, the people are not very welcoming.
I know what you're saying. I lived and worked in Wash. D.C. for several years. There's definitely a culture difference between the East Coast and the West. If you're looking for more laid back, friendly people, you'll find it in Denver.

Quote:
It's very hard to meet people and make friends here.
I had the same experience in D.C.

Quote:
I plan to visit Denver this winter to scout locations. Can anyone help me with the geography of the city and surrounding areas? What area's are safe?
Denver-ites can give you the specifics, but my impression is most areas are safe and there's probably only a few areas "to avoid."

Quote:
and there's I've always lived on the water, and am concerned about being land-locked. So, being close to a lake would be nice, but I also want to be relatively close to the city.
I use the following link to scout out lakes whenever I want to try a new place to boat or fish. It will show you where all the lakes in Denver are: Fish Explorer Colorado Lakes and Reservoirs - Colorado Fishing Map

Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,476 times
Smile Thank you!

The responses have been great. Thank you for all the information.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:24 AM

18 posts, read 104,503 times
Hello

Being a Colorado native, I like to think I understand the weather here, but unfortunately, it's an interesting topic. Denver has the most days of sunshine all year, over any other city. Being closer to the sun also means getting burned much faster, so always wear sunscreen and keep hydrated!!!

At 39, you should have no problem meeting people. Denver has such an diverse population that it makes finding your ideal rather easy.

As for places to avoid, Aurora is not known for its charm, nor is Commerce City and Five Points, though the latter two are becoming more of a home buying area as real estate is flipped. Washington (Wash as we call it) Park, City Park, the Highlands, Old South Gaylord/Pearl Street, DU-area, Bonnie Brae are all great neighborhoods but do come with at a price. Suburban Denver areas like Littleton, Golden, Lakewood are all nice too.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,403 times
lrclark,
Exactly what type of area are you looking for? Urban scene, burbs, Country, Mountain, Prairie, Rolling Hills, Open plain, forest, sweeping vistas, concrete jungle, yuppie, hillbilly, family, alternate lifestyle, Condo, townhouse, Hi Rise, Single Family home? Give us a little more info and we can pinpoint some great areas for you. Remember, there are 3,000,000 residents in the Denver regional area so the possibilities are endless? Also, what are your price ranges. Some area carry a higher price tag so dont want to steer you towards something that is more than you are comfortable with.

Nav
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver