Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 28,538 times

Advertisements

So we need to move to Denver and would like to replicate our current living situation if possible. Our kids are in private schools but we'd like to be in a decent district just in case--not the best but better than average. So we currently live in an equestrian community--trails, access to open space that also allows for other small livestock. Our community is very social--summer camps for kids, community theatre, weekly summer bbqs etc. Commutable to very good private schools and 'town' is minutes away if that. Is there an area like this in Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 AM

291 posts, read 911,403 times
I guess the first question I have is where will you be working? There are a number of areas that have good access to equestian stables. Parker is a Denver suburb preferred by many, as is the area around Castle Rock. The western suburbs of Denver are also interlaced with many private stables, however, the way your post read, I would think you were describing an area like Ken-Caryl Ranch, which is where I've lived and worked for the last 25 years. I've got some pictures in one of my albums. We have over 4,000 acres of open space and our own equestrian center. The only caveat would be our zoning wouldn't permit small livestock. If that is important than you will have to buy acerage. Buying that type of property would acutally take you out of Denver and into the outlaying areas where homes tend to be on 35 acre parcels and hence spread out where you might lose that close community feeling you presently enjoy. There are some parcels that are smaller than 35 acres, but not as many. If you could live without the small livestock, and board your horses in a stable, you'll have more options.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,879 times
Finding a place to ride your horse wont be that hard...Finding a community like you have will be impossible. Like Jerry said above, you will have to look in the outlying areas for the larger parcels of land. Even then, most of the properties that allow horses, only allow a few and no livestock. To find that, you have to find agricultural zoned land. This puts you about an hour (or more) out of Denver proper. You may find that the Elizabeth area Southeast or Sedalia, Southwest of Denver may suit your needs. Sedalia has many horse areas and you can find open space in Elizabeth. However, not sure what your price range is, but a 3-5 acres in sedalia with a modest house will set you back 600-700k.
Elizabeth is a bit cheaper, and you can get 10 acres with house for around 550-600k. Head a little east of Elizabeth around Kiowa and eastward and you can find much larger ranches. (Kiowa and Elizabeth are areas that have "treed" land. Other areas like east Parker are just rolling barren treeless prairie.) Elizabeth also has a "hometown" feel with a lot of community events. Main Street was built in the late 1800's and that sets the character of the town.
Sedalia, doesn't really have a town, rather a few buildings. Its more of a location than a town. Parker is a town like Elizabeth that got destroyed suburban sprawl. Historic down town, but surrounded by countless miles of tract housing and shopping centers.

Nav

Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM

31 posts, read 133,268 times
Sounds like you want Cherry Hills or Greenwood Village. Good public schools and many private schools. Properties where you can keep your horses, goats, llamas and chickens.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 PM

11,824 posts, read 34,425,536 times
Denver Country Club?

Are you wanting in Denver, or near Denver?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 37,619 times
I'm hard-pressed to think of such a place that is close to the city of Denver. That doesn't mean there isn't one--but I don't think such a community would be as good as what you would find in the outlying areas.

If you're willing to commute, look into Woodside in Pine Junction. Everyone owns horses; it's a close-knit commuity with an arena and tons of riding trails. Also, just about everyone in the community owns horses, so if you get to know your neighbors, they might help out with throwing your horses their hay when you can't get home in time. Most people in that area have barns and small arenas as well.

Hope that helps. It may be too rural for what you're looking for (45-minute drive to the Denver metro area), but it has the "horsey" feel you want.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 37,619 times
Oh, I forgot to mention: Although Denver is 45 minutes away, Pine Junction is close (10-minute drive) to other mountain towns; namely, Conifer, Bailey, and Evergreen. Conifer and Bailey can provide you with the basics, such as groceries, restaurants and services; while Evergreen can provide you with a bit more, such as major retail shopping at none other than the almighty Wal-Mart :-D.

If you want better items, you'll have to make the trek to Denver, but you can get most of what you need within 10 minutes of Pine Junction. (And as an added plus, you'll live within a ten-minute drive of the county of South Park--from the famed Comedy Central series--I'm not saying that's a plus. ;-)

Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
I'd hazard to guess Parker and Elizabeth. Parker seems like Norco, CA to me. A former rural horse/farm type town that is gradually turning into a suburb, but still retaining some of it's roots. The research I've done on Elizabeth(and the things I've heard here) suggest it's a far more rural town that's not terribly far from the Denver area. Very horse friendly.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I'd hazard to guess Parker and Elizabeth. Parker seems like Norco, CA to me. A former rural horse/farm type town that is gradually turning into a suburb, but still retaining some of it's roots. The research I've done on Elizabeth(and the things I've heard here) suggest it's a far more rural town that's not terribly far from the Denver area. Very horse friendly.
What you said, but you have each town in the wrong tier. Parker is not "gradually turning into a suburb," it's already a pure suburb wall to wall and has been for at least 15 years. Parker is just the latest Aurora, Lone Tree, Centennial, Highlands Ranch; nothing rural about it whatsoever now. Elizabeth is exactly how you described what you thought Parker was. Kiowa is the true rural-ish town-- as you described Elizabeth.

See my photo tour of the area: The Exurbs: Elbert & eastern Douglas counties photo tour.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
Well, north Parker is at least as you say. South Parker seems to have lots more open space. Noticed trail rides and multi-acre plots right off Parker Rd, various stables, and some other stuff all right around the Pinery area.

Elizabeth I only know from here, so thanks for correcting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver