Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:13 PM

81 posts, read 186,828 times

Advertisements

Moving to Denver from GAWD AWFUL NYC in FIVE WEEKS! So excited I can't sit still or see straight.
We will live downtown for 6 months to a year before buying a home.
We don't want to buy right in Denver. Too expensive - want more house for our $$$.

Mission: Find cute & quaint "downtown" area that is 10 - 15 miles outside of Denver where we can purchase a nice 2 or 3 br home or townhome for around 300k - I picture a main street atmosphere with some nightlife happening and a few groovey bars and restaurants some live music and fesitvals every once in awhile. Doesn't have to be jammin, but not deadsville either. People are out and about. No tumbleweeds. Want a great little town that friends and family will love to come visit. When we really want a crazy night out, we can head off to Denver (which is where we will likely work too).

On your mark, get set, GO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:30 PM

26,242 posts, read 49,145,261 times
See this thread for a list of suburbs and nearby towns with some degree of quaint old 'main street' districts.

In the 4.5 years that this site has been operating, we've answered just about every topic one could imagine, so we always encourage people to use the very capable search tool provided with this software.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:44 PM

54 posts, read 129,479 times
The only thing that comes close is downtown Littleton and for that money I don't think you are going to like what you can buy that meets the requirements nor will you enjoy the commute and parking if you work in Denver.

300k can buy you a lot of house, new or used if you are willing to deal with traffic and commute time and don't need the main street part. The west just is not built the same as the east coast through the midwest where you have big cities surrounded by smaller "spur" towns.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,493,306 times
Remember, the commuting bands for Denver extend 60 miles out from city center so 15 miles out of Denver means you are still in the metro area.If you mean 15 miles from the edge of the city, then there are not a lot of places that will fit your bill. The outer 15 or 20 miles around the city is primarily made up of planned communities and suburbia. For instance, Highlands Ranch is a single community (with different sub areas) of over 70,000 residents. Lots of restaurants but not a "small town" type feel to it.

On the positive side, you might also want to try Evergreen or Idaho Springs. Both fit most of your needs but are in the mountains and some people can't handle the winter commuting. Summers and Fall are absolutely wonderful.

I would say, get a map then start googling. You can likely find some of your wants, but not all.
Nav

Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,191,668 times
I would look into Old Littleton and Olde Arvada

Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM

181 posts, read 583,338 times
I would say that if you're planning to move here and rent before buying, first of all, you're smart, and secondly, get here and start looking around. Then start asking questions. You'll get answers.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 PM

726 posts, read 2,150,120 times
I too would say check out Arvada.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 AM

331 posts, read 990,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
I would say that if you're planning to move here and rent before buying, first of all, you're smart, and secondly, get here and start looking around. Then start asking questions. You'll get answers.
I agree with this. As much as I read and researched neighborhoods of Denver to see what I wanted before I got here and looked, my mind has completely changed when I actually got here, started looking around, and started asking locals.

I limited my apartment searching to 2 neighborhoods in Denver before I got here. Now that I'm living in one of them, I've biked / walked / driven around, and found other places that I should have looked into more before moving. And now, after visiting Boulder (with surrounding towns) and Evergreen, I'm hoping to move to Evergreen to get to live somewhere with great views without the cost of Boulder.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 AM

81 posts, read 186,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
I agree with this. As much as I read and researched neighborhoods of Denver to see what I wanted before I got here and looked, my mind has completely changed when I actually got here, started looking around, and started asking locals.
You are absolutely 100% right. I need to just chill out until I can see/experience all the neighborhoods for myself. But I am so restless in my shoebox NYC apartment! I sure am enjoying Google Maps Street View to check out Denver neighborhoods in the mean time! What a great invention!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 PM

205 posts, read 504,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
You are absolutely 100% right. I need to just chill out until I can see/experience all the neighborhoods for myself. But I am so restless in my shoebox NYC apartment! I sure am enjoying Google Maps Street View to check out Denver neighborhoods in the mean time! What a great invention!
As the others mentioned you are absolutely doing the right thing by renting first. I know that you mentioned wanting to live outside of the Denver city limits, but if you're going to rent and look around anyway, you might want to consider some of the city's (not that "the city's") neighborhoods. To me they sound a lot closer to what you're looking for than the suburbs. Denver is so different from NY in so many ways, it may be an option for you. If this does sound reasonable, there are a lot of threads that discuss the various pros and cons. I really don't have as much first hand knowledge as some of the other posters

Also, if you could eat a black and white cookie for me before you move, I'd very much appreciate it. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver