Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 04:44 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
-Denver is not utopia, not even close.
-Denver might be overrated, most folks are scared off by the snow/cold
-People IMO are colder and ruder than average
-I can't find any solid stats on teen suicide, but regarding suicide as a whole, Colorado isn't first, it is eighth (Alaska is first). I doubt any organization compiles suicide stats by city.
-Colorado ranks 26th out of 50 in both Higher Ed and K-12 spending.
-DPS boasts a 76.9% HS graduation rate -- I believe that number if quite inflated, but I don't think it is as low as 30%.
-Colorado ranks 15th in meth users per 100,000
-Colorado has the 21st lowest auto insurance rates
-I got terrible dry skin after moving here, so I buy lotion.
-Not all women here are ugly, and definitely not most, but some (like anywhere)
-Been to LoDo? Cap Hill?
-I'll agree that Denver is mildly bland, but so are most places within 500 miles of here.
-I'm not a hick, nor am I yuppie, but I will say there are more yuppies here per capita than hicks.
-I'm not from the Midwest. 19.1% of folks that live in the Denver urban area were born in the Midwest. Wow, that's higher than I thought it would be, but so what? Some people here consider Denver/CO to be part of the Midwest.
-Cops? What cops? WASP ideology? What the ---- are you talking about? (I'm not a WASP either, BTW)
-If our city is a joke, then why aren't so many of us transplants laughing?
-I am in no way affiliated with the local Chamber of Commerce.

I think that anybody that has an axe to grind with a place, probably moved there and it didn't turn out as they expected. CAS, Funky and others probably came out here with "Rocky Mountain Dreams" that ultimately didn't pan out. Well, my Rocky dreams have come true, so I'm going to stay put for a while. I see Denver for what it is, not for how I pictured it. If I ever get the temptation to leave, I will. And if I ever post an "I'm outta here!" thread, I hope to get a few less "Good riddances!" and a few more "Goodbyes!"

P.S. What I find funny about these Denver haters is that they never let us know where they live currently, and if they give us a clue they are very vague. I wonder what wonderful place CAS resides in, and I'd like an affirmation on Funky's new home. If Denver is so terrible and his new place is so wonderful you'd think he'd at least tell us or brag about it a little.
Good point about these denver haters not posting where they have found paradise. I thought I read somewhere on city data forum that funky monk lives in Oxnard, California...

Old 03-01-2009, 05:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Good point about these denver haters not posting where they have found paradise. I thought I read somewhere on city data forum that funky monk lives in Oxnard, California...
Oxnard? LOL. If he thinks Denver is boring and spread out, I can't wait for him to start trashing Oxnard.

When this thread first started, I pulled up his profile to see what forums he'd been most active in. His most active forum behind Denver is San Diego. Isn't that a past location? It sure sounds like he doesn't spend much time investigating a place before heading off..

Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Why is everyone even worrying about where I am living right now? Who cares? I think Denver sucks, and now i'm living somewhere else, but why does it matter to you where?

And your guess is wrong. I am somewhere on the SoCal coast at the moment.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Why is everyone even worrying about where I am living right now? Who cares? I think Denver sucks, and now i'm living somewhere else, but why does it matter to you where?

And your guess is wrong. I am somewhere on the SoCal coast at the moment.
You won't tell anyone where you are because you want to throw stones at Denver but you don't want anyone to be able to compare it to the supposed paradise you've found.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS View Post
Funkymonk, your opinion matches the rebuttal of these mile high snobs. To them, Denver is utopia and nothing can top it. You are absolutely correct, Denver is very overrated. The people are cold and VERY RUDE!!!!!! And they want facts? Well here are a couple facts you can google. Denver and Colorado have the highest suicide rates in the nation amongst teenagers. Imagine that! Higher then Iowa? Kentucky? Alabama? That should tell you something. One of the lowest cost per capita spend on higher education and K-12. Denver schools boast a 30 percent graduation rate. Colorado ranks in the bottom for spending on drugs and alcohol treatment. Yet they have one of the highest capita of meth users. I could go on and on. The drivers in this large cowtown are the worst of any city that I've experienced. Always driving 5-10 mph below the speed limit, no turn signals, hit and runs on a constant basis. No wonder Colorado has one of the highest insurance rates in the nation. You can keep your dry skin, ugly women, dead nightlife, bland city filled with hicks and yuppies who moved in from the midwest, cops on every corner ready to break up anything that doesn't resemble the WASP utopian ideology. Don't worry, these mile high hicks will belittle everything you or I say, hence the arrogance in these posts. Get over yourselves, your city is a joke. You do a good job of marketing it, but so does NYC.
Excellent post.

I see Denver the same way. I think it sucks and it represents exactly what is wrong with America in many ways. There isn't anything too cool or dynamic going on there.

But if some people do like it, I say good for them. A lot of people would hate to live where i'm at right now but I love it.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You won't tell anyone where you are because you want to throw stones at Denver but you don't want anyone to be able to compare it to the supposed paradise you've found.
No. The reason is because I have gotten some angry and INSANE private messages from people in Denver. So I want to remain hidden.

Here you go though. I am in San Diego county. Go ahead and compare as much as you want. Knock yourself out.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Though entertaining for a day trip, I find San Diego County to be bland and uninteresting...but then, I'm not into oceans, and the SoCal lifestyle just isn't for me. I'd rather have mountains to one side and the vast empty plains on the other. Denver is likely not perfect, but I really like what specifically the city proper has to offer. That said, I haven't been there in years, so when I finally get out there this summer to scope it out, we'll see what I think.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Though entertaining for a day trip, I find San Diego County to be bland and uninteresting...but then, I'm not into oceans, and the SoCal lifestyle just isn't for me. I'd rather have mountains to one side and the vast empty plains on the other. Denver is likely not perfect, but I really like what specifically the city proper has to offer. That said, I haven't been there in years, so when I finally get out there this summer to scope it out, we'll see what I think.
You think that SD county is bland and uninteresting and Denver isn't? Wow, that's baffling to me. Did you write that backwards on accident?

SD and Denver are both Western American cities. So they both have a short history without a lot of deep culture. But I think SD is much more diverse and full of energy. Lots of people find SD overwhelming and too busy and full of action. Most people escape SD to find a more peaceful and quiet lifestyle.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:21 PM

San Diego - Too crowded, too expensive, and the wages don't offset the cost of living. What seems fun and exciting at age 20 becomes not so much by 35. As long as you're not in Denver, there will be one less person there clogging up the freeways and restaurants when I get there.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
San Diego - Too crowded, too expensive, and the wages don't offset the cost of living. What seems fun and exciting at age 20 becomes not so much by 35. As long as you're not in Denver, there will be one less person there clogging up the freeways and restaurants when I get there.
Too crowded? I don't think so. If i'm going to live in a CITY, I want it to be a real city. Major metro areas are supposed to be crowded. I don't like the American style, ultra-sprawed city like Denver or Phoenix. If I want space, i'll go live in a rural area. I think it's a foolish idea to live in a huge metro, yet expect to have tons of space.

I dont feel crowded in SD. But most Americans really want a lot of personal space do they can totally isolate themselves. I've never been like that though. If you think SD is crowded, try living in Europe or Asia for a while, then we'll see what you think.

High cost of living? Yes, this is the biggest disadvantage, and it is a major problem. But in my opinion, it's worth it to pay extra to live in a much better place. And I have learned ways to cut corners and deal with it. It depends what kind of lifestyle you live. And I probably live a much more frugal type of lifestyle than most Americans.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Denver was not as cheap as I was expectng. Food was expensive, car insurance was surprisingly expensive. Rent was the only thing that was more reasonable. I'm not in the market to buy a house, so I don't care about real estate prices.

The little bit of extra money I saved just wasn't worth it to me to live in such a stagnant city.

I'm probably going to move again soon. Should I tell you all when I move agai so we can have another round of comparisons?

By the way. It says you live in Orange County? I can see why you want to escape the state then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver