Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne215 View Post
I totally agree its turned into california 2! people just aren't genuine. It's said people use to be kind. This post was mainly a vent but I just can't take here anymore. I feel its ruined lol
I disagree California is as real as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
To the OP: Please leave.

Why is this thread still going on?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Also, did something happen? You said "people are heartless".
I had the same question. Heartless is an interesting term. Unfriendly and cold are tossed around this thread more frequently.

Things are tough all over, Karianne. I suspect that you'll find that the "heartlessness" you're experiencing here in Denver is happening everywhere, and it's especially pronounced as people suffer through the economic downturn. Strangers aren't really heartless, they just don't have a genuine and lasting connection to you, and the metro area is full of strangers.

As far as Colorado becoming California2, I think it's time to stop blaming Californians and recognize that a lot of the the social issues you're experiencing are the result of increased transience everywhere. Because many people no longer have close family as their primary social group, they've lost the long-term, unconditional support it offers. And, because families anchor us in difficult times, that disconnection can be very hard, particularly for young mothers.

Family is the primary reason my spouse and I chose to move to Denver. We needed the permanence of those relationships, so my husband sought a job here where we could live near his parents. It hasn't been all smooth-sailing, but overall, it's comforting to know that we have each other. As they say, blood is thicker than water.

It's certainly possible to build a family unit out of people who are unrelated. My church offered that kind of support to me when I was a young mother living on the opposite side of the country from my parents. But, in the end, only family could fill the void.

I hope that things get better for you. Best regards...FC

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-15-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Some further thoughts:

Although it might be tempting to chuck everything and move somewhere else, it really just throws you into the same situation you're fleeing, because you'll still lack long-term connections. The grass isn't really greener on the other side.

My suggestion is that you look at the strongest relationships in your life here in Colorado right now and build out from there. Once you have a strong network of family and friends, you'll be more resilient to the "heartlessness" of others.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM

351 posts, read 649,697 times
I can think of one reason you might want to consider staying.....

...but if natural beauty and clean, safe neighborhoods aren't quite what you're looking for then, yeah, Denver's probably not going to do it for you.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
I've gotta say it, the "natural beauty" of Denver is sooooooooo over rated. I think it is misleading to say that Denver has natural beauty.

There is natural beauty NEAR Denver, but to say the city of Denver has natural beauty is just not true. The natural beauty is in the state of Colorado, not Denver, that's for sure.

In San Diego, San Francisco, Tucson, Portland, Seattle, SLC, Las Vegas, and almost any other western city. You can drive out of the city for 40 minutes and be in absolutely gorgeous places. Just like Denver.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Karianne, to each his own. I've been saving up money to move to Colorado for a while now. I just love it down there and I always have a good time when I visit. By the way, I have NEVER been treated rudely or unkindly in Colorado. Not even in Denver or in pretentious suburbs like Highlands Ranch and Cherry Hills. I just think Denver is a great fit for me and it works out financially too. That's just me though.

I have a best friend who really wants me to move to Minneapolis with her. She loves it there and I have no idea why because it's freezing cold 9 months out of the year and the other 3 are humid as hell and bugs eat your flesh. Everyone wears black too and parts of the city look so rundown. I guess she just looks past that and sees what she likes. I'm sure there are plenty of things that I won't like about Denver when I move there but I can just look past those and focus on what I love. Denver's a fun, active city and I don't ever see how people can say people there are heartless and rude. Just because they don't smile at you when you walk by or ask how your day is going does it make them heartless? Do you give that same courtesy to them?

Anyway, move somewhere you like because no one should be forced to live, or raise their kids, in a place they hate. However, if you want to find people warmer than Coloradoans and still live in a cultured city GOOD LUCK!!! I wouldn't even look to my east!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:46 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsRanchUrbanite View Post
Denver is the greatest city in the world! It is super diverse. Here in highlands ranch I know a asian family. I saw some indians too on the 16th street mall! You just have to open your eyes more. Denver is by far the greatest city in the world. We are not all run down and dumpy like east coast cities. we are new and clean! Places like Highlands Ranch are the newest and most awesome city neighborhoods. Whats wrong with chains? they are more efficient, clean, and cheaper than stupid ma and pop stores. There is a reason nobody likes eating cockroach soup at some diner owned by ma and pa. No thanks! If you like the 3rd world go back and live in New York.
You think that Denver is the best city in the world? LOL, that is SO funny

Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Having lived all over the country, every place is what you make of it. I have friends who wouldn't leave Minot, ND if their lives depended on it and others who hate living in Hawaii. There are few places that roll out the red carpet for people. You have to make an effort. Smile and go over and meet your neighbors (instead of the courtesy wave), find a club or group to belong to. People don't owe you a favor just because you've decided to call their city your home. Those who enjoy living in Colorado do so because they've found their niche. If you're just going to go to work, go home and sit in the basement and watch TV, you can do that anywhere. Colorado has a great outdoor living environment, but it's not for everyone. I don't ski either but there are still great things to do in the mountains year round and we have enjoyed living in our new home state. We went to Breckenridge for a night to enjoy the snow sculpture contest and had a blast. My daughter found that innertubing down a mountain is the greatest thing she's ever done. I've found that I enjoy ice skating as much as I did when I was young. I prefer the beach but know that I'm not going to get that here in CO. I could spend my time complaining about being landlocked or I can enjoy CO for what it does have to offer. It's a lot more fun to do the latter.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
You think that Denver is the best city in the world? LOL, that is SO funny
Why? Because you think it's not? Opinions are like butts...everyone has them. Why mock someone who has clearly found their niche? Especially when your profile says you desperately want out of SC.

People find cities that suit them for various reasons...close to family, love to ski/surf, enjoy the weather. Are there more cultural places than Denver? Sure, but what if you could care less about going to the theater or a museum? Are there places that are warmer than Denver? Sure, but what if you like to ski? Are there places that have an ocean nearby? Sure, but what if you can't swim? Are there places that aren't covered in chain restaurants? Sure, but what if your palatte isn't as "sophisticated" and you rarely eat out anyway? Millions of people call Denver home and it's got a large population of people who didn't grow up here. There must be a reason and to pretend that you are oh-so-sophisticated is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver