Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM

366 posts, read 1,373,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Indeed you are correct. Though I am married, I have lots of single friends and 3 girlfriends who have come at various times for a visit. They all had a great time and said over and over how fun the "single scene" is in Denver. I can't speak personally, but all three left with phone numbers and tales of cute, "normal" guys that they met while here. Guess what? They didn't even go to a bar. The three of them met guys while ice skating, in Breckenridge at the snow sculpture contest, while walking my dog near Cherry Creek Park (p.s. walking my dog is how I met my husband...if you don't have a dog, borrow one and head to a dog park), and going to a Rockies Game. You got to put yourself out there and strike up a conversation, even if it's "hey, where did you get that gyro?" when you're at Coors Field. Bars are not the best place to meet someone.
Those are GIRLS. Its hard for guys, not girls.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
Those are GIRLS. Its hard for guys, not girls.
Now, Drew...who do you think my friends met? I think everyone believes they are on the losing side of the dating scene. For every guy like yourself who talks about the lack of girls in Denver, there are girls bemoaning the same thing. The ratio of men and women doesn't make a difference as that is assuming that every one of those counted is dating material. I'm not so far removed from the dating scene that I don't remember what it was like...good god. There were a lot of toads out there, but I was in Arizona. Most of my friends still live there and say that there is absolutely no one worth dating in Arizona. Sound familiar? I bet you would hear the same thing no matter where you went. You've just got to figure out where the good ones are. I see tons of single girls at Rockies Games. Tons of single girls skiing with their friends. Lots of single girls at the Tattered Cover downtown. If that doesn't work...volunteer at the Humane Society. They could use the help, and you can go out and work at adoption day. Nothing opens the door to a conversation than a dog or cat. If that doesn't work, you can let them off the leash and then ask for help chasing the dog.

Look at it this way...Colorado is at the top of the list for healthy states, which puts the odds in your favor of finding a non-couch potato. It also ranks high for those with a college degree, which means that even if your pickins are slim, at least they are good ones.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,705 times
From my experience, meeting several women on CL and another site, and in person, they are more interested in what you can do to make them look good than they are in a genuine person. Caveat Emptor! I know you're thinking...he's ugly. Nope...But for some reason, women here are flaky. Come and go, email you, all excited and want to know all about you, but NEVER want to meet up or actually do coffee. This whole town just seems screwy...

Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 AM

795 posts, read 2,409,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
From my experience, meeting several women on CL and another site, and in person, they are more interested in what you can do to make them look good than they are in a genuine person. Caveat Emptor! I know you're thinking...he's ugly. Nope...But for some reason, women here are flaky. Come and go, email you, all excited and want to know all about you, but NEVER want to meet up or actually do coffee. This whole town just seems screwy...
Well thats CL for you. That site is full of spambots and hustlers.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,584 times
Hmmm, the stats for Denver show that the population is 49.5% female (291,110 females) and 39.5% of those over 15 years old have never been married. There should be about 115,000 single women for you (minus the 15-18 year olds who you will have to wait a few years for).

Yes, 115,000 single women in Denver who have never been married!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Default Attention Dever Singletons!!

Though I am not one myself, let it not be said that I don't think about you newly-arrived Denver singletons here on city-data.com. I have read thread after thread on this site lamenting the lack of both single men and single women here in our great city and while getting my hair done yesterday and waiting for the color and highlights to set, I had some free time on my hands. I saw the magazine "5280" on the rack and began to peruse.

Guess what? The entire February issue was devoted to the single life in Denver. There were articles and interviews of singles who talked about how hard (or easy) it is to meet singles and where the best place to meet them are. I took notes, so here you go:

1. Every Thursday at 6:00 pm, a group called the Irish Snug Runners get together and run a 5K through downtown. Afterwards, some of the 2,000 members meet for a post-run pasta buffet. Their website: irishsnugrunners.com. Here's the plus side...if you don't meet anyone, you at least get a good exercise session out of it. If you do, chances are the man or woman you meet isn't going to be a couch potato.

2. On March 15th, there is going to be a St Patrick's Day 7K run through LoDo. There will be a massive block party afterwards complete with Irish Bands and no doubt, green beer. See my comments above about the plus side.

3. The magazine 5280 is having their annual "Single in the City" event soon. The woman who is in charge of organizing the entire thing goes to my same hairstylist and she was telling her about the event. It's the biggest meetup that the city has. Now of course, it could be a huge meat-market, but at least you know that the people there are looking for the same (possibly) thing as you. My advice? Find a friend of the opposite sex and attend with them. It is a lot less intimidating to approach you this way than if you are in a "pack." If neither of you meet anyone interesting, at least you have a sort of date and you may even meet some potential friends of the same sex. I'm sure you can find the details on the 5280 website.

According to the magazine, Denver was rated as the #1 place to meet singles for 3 years in a row. Apparently, we've fallen to #11. The only explanation I have for this one is that during those 3 years, people either got married or entered into exclusive relationships. Fear not! There must be enough singles still out there to justify a magazine devoted entirely to you for the month and if there is an event called "Single in the City", it's just not you having a hard time meeting people.

Good luck...my job here is done!

Oh, by the way, while my hairstylist is married, she mentioned one of her female co-workers (and pointed her out to me...young (mid-20s), cute, in good shape, and doesn't have the typical freakish hairstylist look that is common in the industry). The salon is right downtown in LoDo. As to not turn it into a meat market, if you're interested, IM me and I'll give you her name as well as the salon's number. Call and book an appointment. If it doesn't work out, at least you get a great haircut out of it. And, it's right near Coors Field and the Tattered Cover so you can go to a game right after, sporting a fancy 'do.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,705 times
Default Spambots and Hustlers? Sounds like a music hit...

That may be true in some places, but I have found great success in using CL in other places, at least to sell things...I did meet a couple of good GALS in Key West that way, you'd think there are tons of girls in Key West, and you'd be right...for about 4-5 days or 1 from other places in Florida. Nice if you're a dog and just want vacation fun, I was looking to build...so I moved to DENVER...(I can hear the laughing right now, go ahead!)

But when money is tight and you work a lot just to make ends meet, well, I also tried TRUE and SINGLESNET...Not that there's anything wrong with me, I am just tired of the bar scene. Been there, done that in the Navy and in Key West, and could if I tried and cared, out do most of these barhounds...just don't care. My attitude and age, I guess. I just like drinking with buddies as opposed to "Search and destroy" in the club, which well, just never really was me...

I often think that people are just so superficial now, that they don't try to see a person for who they are. Yes, I know that's something that uglier people tend to say, but I'm not. I'm no Brad Pitt, but I also don't settle. Seems to me that everyone woman I finded approachable (and not crazy) in Denver was already taken. Kinda sucks. I thought moving from a small town of 39,000 and 1-2 million tourists a year would be a big change to a place of what...1-2 million average?

Now I just find myself waiting for college to start up for me this year...Oh yeah...I'll be about 10 years older than most of them, 12 for some...Sigh. Oh well, Glory Days...Good luck to ya, OP...Menver, HA! That still cracks me up...

One thing I will say though, from Honolulu to Key West, women complain there aren't enough good men (could it be their standards are too high...sorry but I won't make you the first of the "Housewives of Jefferson County") and men complain (well, Men like me do) that there aren't enough women out there either. Same problem in HNL...too few women. Yup, even in Hawaii. In Key West, size of the island does that.

I think that people like me are people that just take time to get to know tend to get written off in exchange for the hot guy in the latest fashion. (Mountain Lions would attract prey wearing Hollister too if they needed to) But that's ok. It really is a jungle out there! Anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Well thats CL for you. That site is full of spambots and hustlers.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 AM

247 posts, read 745,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
3. The magazine 5280 is having their annual "Single in the City" event soon. The woman who is in charge of organizing the entire thing goes to my same hairstylist and she was telling her about the event. It's the biggest meetup that the city has. Now of course, it could be a huge meat-market, but at least you know that the people there are looking for the same (possibly) thing as you. My advice? Find a friend of the opposite sex and attend with them. It is a lot less intimidating to approach you this way than if you are in a "pack." If neither of you meet anyone interesting, at least you have a sort of date and you may even meet some potential friends of the same sex. I'm sure you can find the details on the 5280 website.
Just wanted to say that I love that magazine. Great articles.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBoy914 View Post
Just wanted to say that I love that magazine. Great articles.
I had no idea that the magazine even existed until I saw it at my hair salon yesterday. As I looked through it, it seemed that it was really focused on the downtown Denver scene, but there were still enough interesting things and advertisements of stuff to do here that I am thinking of getting a subscription. Think of it this way...if YOU are reading it, there must be others (even if it's at the bookstore). There are going to be a lot of people at all the events I listed above and probably a ton of them at this 5280 event. If you are correct when describing yourself, you are not a couch potato troll (sorry to be blunt). While there are plenty of people looking for "Brad Pitt" (though it's highly doubtful they'd know what to do if they got one), there are a lot of them looking for a good looking, educated, non couch potato woman or man, so put yourself out there. Good luck!

I know what you mean about the Florida Keys. It would be hard to be single in a place like that because it's so full of tourists just visiting over long weekends. Not exactly a place to find someone who lives down the street. That's probably the same story in places like Breckenridge and Vail.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
That may be true in some places, but I have found great success in using CL in other places, at least to sell things...I did meet a couple of good GALS in Key West that way, you'd think there are tons of girls in Key West, and you'd be right...for about 4-5 days or 1 from other places in Florida. Nice if you're a dog and just want vacation fun, I was looking to build...so I moved to DENVER...(I can hear the laughing right now, go ahead!)

But when money is tight and you work a lot just to make ends meet, well, I also tried TRUE and SINGLESNET...Not that there's anything wrong with me, I am just tired of the bar scene. Been there, done that in the Navy and in Key West, and could if I tried and cared, out do most of these barhounds...just don't care. My attitude and age, I guess. I just like drinking with buddies as opposed to "Search and destroy" in the club, which well, just never really was me...

I often think that people are just so superficial now, that they don't try to see a person for who they are. Yes, I know that's something that uglier people tend to say, but I'm not. I'm no Brad Pitt, but I also don't settle. Seems to me that everyone woman I finded approachable (and not crazy) in Denver was already taken. Kinda sucks. I thought moving from a small town of 39,000 and 1-2 million tourists a year would be a big change to a place of what...1-2 million average?

Now I just find myself waiting for college to start up for me this year...Oh yeah...I'll be about 10 years older than most of them, 12 for some...Sigh. Oh well, Glory Days...Good luck to ya, OP...Menver, HA! That still cracks me up...

One thing I will say though, from Honolulu to Key West, women complain there aren't enough good men (could it be their standards are too high...sorry but I won't make you the first of the "Housewives of Jefferson County") and men complain (well, Men like me do) that there aren't enough women out there either. Same problem in HNL...too few women. Yup, even in Hawaii. In Key West, size of the island does that.

I think that people like me are people that just take time to get to know tend to get written off in exchange for the hot guy in the latest fashion. (Mountain Lions would attract prey wearing Hollister too if they needed to) But that's ok. It really is a jungle out there! Anywhere!
Hey dont feel bad about being older and in college. I just graduated this year and I am 32. I found my experience to be very intriging. Just think we 30 plus folks dont have to deal with idenity crisis and all the other insecurities that come with youth. I found that being older in college was very advantageous for meeting people, especially women!

CL used to be good but every reply I get now is linked to a sex site. The best places to meet people seem to be groups on CL. If i were you I would try to meet up with someone who knows the cities core. I bet your views of denver would change pretty fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver