Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 36,468 times

Advertisements

Hi
This is my first post to this forum. I'm relocating to the Denver area from San Francisco in late Dec / Early Jan. I've a wife and infant child.

I thought I'd ask your opinion on relocating to Denver. We are moving from a cool, lively place in down town San Francisco and are looking for an area in Denver with a mix of walking distance amenities such as parks and museums and cafes, restaurants etc.

We know that Denver ain't San Francisco but we also know it's a cool town - we want to strike the right balance between cool culture and kid friendly.

We're looking to rent and then buy after 6 months either in Denver or Boulder (but the commute would be a challenge for me).

So far we're looking at Highland (diverse), Cherry Creek (safe, cool boutiques, near my office), Stapleton (new, kid friendly), Washington park (near a big park!). I also like the vibe in LoDo but probably not the best place to live for an infant.

Any advice?

Much obliged,
AH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
I would think that Stapleton would be your best bet for what you're looking for.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Thanks!
I hear that area is very new. What advantages do you think it has over the other kid-friendly areas?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
The Mayor lived in Lodo until his boy was school age. So I don't think having an infant in LoDo is a deal breaker, if you are moving in 6 months anyway.

Where is work?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Hey.
Work is Cherry Creek. Stapleton sounds good - we'll rent for 6 months then buy hopefully.
LoDo seems lively also.
What a tough decision!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4qual View Post
Thanks!
I hear that area is very new. What advantages do you think it has over the other kid-friendly areas?
well, considering you want walkability, it adds a lot compared to other family friendly areas like highlands ranch, parker, etc which are flatout suburban or semi-rural in the case of (some parts of) parker. i think there is an area in englewood or littleton that is a downtown type area with some housing, but i dont know what its called. that area has decent schools as well i believe.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
You're looking in the right places -- Highland, Wash Park, and Stapleton are some of the most sought-after neighborhoods in Denver.

I wouldn't recommend Cherry Creek itself -- not really a lot of families there, and the culture there is a bit too materialistic for my taste. It's also a bit of an older set there; rich older set, of course, but older.

I also would not recommend LoDo as a place to live as it's WAY too noisy -- too many in their early twenties see LoDo as a place to get drunk every night and it kind of spoils it for people who live there.

If you're working in Cherry Creek I would also look at Congress Park. It's close to Cherry Creek but not part of it.

Also recommended might be Platt Park, which is something like a poor persons' Wash Park, and (South) Park Hill, which is known to be a great family-oriented neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM

19 posts, read 83,631 times
I'd suggest Stapleton too. I grew up in Marin, and I now live in Stapleton with my husband and two kids (ages 4 and 6). We chose to move to Denver specifically because we fell in love with Stapleton, I just think it is such an awesome place to raise kids. There are lots of community activities and parks and pools within walking distance of most residences. Also, the public schools are top-notch. Plus, if you are moving here from San Francisco, the house prices are downright reasonable. :-)

Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 AM

Thanks for this! When you say walkability - what do you mean? You can walk to shops / parks / other amenities / cherry creek etc?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
You're looking in the right places -- Highland, Wash Park, and Stapleton are some of the most sought-after neighborhoods in Denver.

I wouldn't recommend Cherry Creek itself -- not really a lot of families there, and the culture there is a bit too materialistic for my taste. It's also a bit of an older set there; rich older set, of course, but older.

I also would not recommend LoDo as a place to live as it's WAY too noisy -- too many in their early twenties see LoDo as a place to get drunk every night and it kind of spoils it for people who live there.

If you're working in Cherry Creek I would also look at Congress Park. It's close to Cherry Creek but not part of it.

Also recommended might be Platt Park, which is something like a poor persons' Wash Park, and (South) Park Hill, which is known to be a great family-oriented neighborhood.
Thanks for this. It echoes my perceptions about these areas. It's looking like Stapleton.... Cherry Creek seems a little sanitized, LoDo is a little noisy / sporty. The only thing that worries me about Stapleton is that fact that it's so new - while lots of families I'm concerned it may be a little lacking in diversity and energy. We've got a young family but I'm not convinced that we only want to socialize with other young families! Thanks for the advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver