Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 51,168 times

Advertisements

Hey, I might be moving to Denver from New Orleans, I don't know what to expect. It's pretty horrible here in every aspect besides the insane night life. New Orleans is totally crazy in every aspect that you could possibly imagine and it's not as bad as you'd think on a hazy saturday night/early sunday morning. What's denver like? Are people laid back? I don't know anything about the west but I'm sure the culture must be drasticly different from the south, or at least this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504life View Post
Hey, I might be moving to Denver from New Orleans, I don't know what to expect. It's pretty horrible here in every aspect besides the insane night life. New Orleans is totally crazy in every aspect that you could possibly imagine and it's not as bad as you'd think on a hazy saturday night/early sunday morning. What's denver like? Are people laid back? I don't know anything about the west but I'm sure the culture must be drasticly different from the south, or at least this city.

Do you know what the main difference is between the North and the South? In the North, we have a cutoff age when the kids can sleep with the parents. Culture difference indeed!

Joking aside, it's not boring here at all. In my single days, I found way too much nightlife to occupy my time! It's a bigger city than N.O. and while it doesn't have the specific culture of the French Quarter (or the history), it's a fun place to live with lots to do.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:03 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,472 times
what do you consider "boring"?

i have heard denver described as "bland", usually by people from more historically urbane and diverse places. denver can be pretty mellow relative to many other cities it's size. it can feel like a big small town of a sort of middle american persuasion, for some. where proximity to the mountains, spectator sports, suburban living, and/or sunshine can tend to be a driving force for many. jazz everywhere, rich culture, and mardi gras maybe not so much, in denver. not a city that never sleeps, and not a deeply historic and jazzy place (though it has a great jazz station!). not hazy and humid here - high desert to new orleans swampiness. it does not have the intense culture and urbanity of a new orleans or some other cities. though it does have a peppering of some non-boring things (just guessing at what you might find boring). if sunny sunday mornings are what you might like, you'll find that here. very very different from n.o., i'm thinking.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 PM

68 posts, read 362,153 times
Default NOLA & Denver each have tons to do

I love New Orleans- the food and the music are un-equalled in my book. But, Denver is not boring- their are a ton of clubs to dance at and see "live" music at. Plus, for some reason there are a lot of people in the Denver area who are from New Orleans or who love New Orleans culture- nearly weekly you would be able to find a dance or get together for cajun dancing somewhere. One of the big differences is weather, education and health concerns. People in Denver tend to be really weight & health conscious and sports-minded. It is an area where people do a lot of outdoor activities- like ski, bike, hike, camp, run etc... The Denver area tends to have a lot of young adults. Things would be very different for you in Denver from N.O., but not boring. Why are you considering Denver? If you gave more details it would be easier to help.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times
Since in your other post you said you are in the middle of your Junior Year of High School, and your curiosity to learn as much about your possible new home, you sound like a well rounded and educated student. You should have no problem making friend with your interest level and your social will follow easily. Denver is laid back compared to N.O. party scene but there is much to see and do here, day and night.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 45,366 times
If you are coming from New Orleans you will boered.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:39 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,653 times
My family and I moved here from New Orleans after Katrina. It's the best move we ever made. The people are great and it's so nice to live in a progressive area instead of a regressive area. If you choose to move here you will love it!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Boring people are bored.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:16 PM

386 posts, read 1,693,140 times
I always found stuff to do. But I guess it depends on what you're into. If you're into sports and outdoorsy stuff, you'll never be bored. If you're looking for the hottest club scene in the western hemisphere...Denver might be a bit of a let-down. I've never (thankfully) been to New Orleans so I can't relate. If NO's murder rate is any indication, Denver is far less interesting.....

Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 PM

16 posts, read 77,192 times
nice kierkegaard reference charles. yeah, denver can be boring, but it does have nightlife and it is a fun city to bike in. I like it, i like new orleans too. the culture is different, but nothing shocking (a little less racism in denver I'd say.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver