Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,489,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
it is only because it is on an old airport and is a new development is what make people call it Stapleton.
? Both Park Hills end at Quebec. Stapleton has its own zip code of 80238.

Quote:
Green Valley Ranch is diverse and is statistically the lowest crime area in Denver.
That is just dead wrong. GVR has higher than average crime.

2008 Crime Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,078,396 times
Around Denver, Aurora is generally considered bad, but areas around Havana and Hampton are what people think about when they say the worst. Lots of bangers like to live there. Same with East Colfax, by Yosemitie. The areas around Stapleton are not great, but inside it is pretty nice. Same with Lowry, but Lowry is contaminated. 6th Ave between Colorado Ave. and Qubec has some of the most beutiful homes (and expensive). West of Colorado Ave. on places like 8th and 12th are kind of nice looking, but I only drove through there. Evans and south Colorado Ave. near 25 are pretty horrible, pretty much tenements. Stay away from North Federal too, it looks like a run down disaster zone.

Parker's kind of nice but pretty far south, Thornton is nice too but far North. Farther is pretty nice too, up through Boulder and Longmont.

Not sure on the schools really, but Denver schools are not great as far as performance and safety go. North is better, in Louisville, Broomfield and Boulder.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM

There are plenty of great DPS schools and plenty of bad schools in every district.

I buy Burittos from the cart in the parking lot at Yosemite and Colfax frequently and have never seen these "bangers" you speak of.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM

10 posts, read 12,149 times
I have been reading these posts and I must disagree with Green Valley Ranch having higher than average crime. I am going to check it out on the city website. My family lives on the NE corner GVR golfcourse by Picadilly, for 2 years. Never an incident. If anyone else is from GVR please express what you have experienced and where because I am curious as to where the crime might be. Crap I just missed the end of the debate.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 30,009,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Lots of bangers like to live there.
How do you know? Do you pull off and ask them for their gang ID cards?

Havana is more than fine south of Alameda. North of Alameda it gets poorer, and older (construction/homes) but isn't necessarily bad. Hampden is middle class suburban through Aurora, I don't know where that came from. Where Hampden turns into Havana, well, that's still technically Denver. I can't think of anywhere along Hampden that would be considered the least bit "bad", in any city. Where Hampden meets Federal, might come close, but IMO is still not "bad".

I wonder if your definition of "banger" might be different then mine.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilliesEverywhere View Post
I have been reading these posts and I must disagree with Green Valley Ranch having higher than average crime. I am going to check it out on the city website. My family lives on the NE corner GVR golfcourse by Picadilly, for 2 years. Never an incident. If anyone else is from GVR please express what you have experienced and where because I am curious as to where the crime might be. Crap I just missed the end of the debate.
This is from an earlier debate on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Steve, again, manipulating the facts to make a point, isn't doing the facts justice.

Gateway/Green Valley Ranch is second in Denver neighborhood population, only to Montbello.

So yes, GVR does rank high in incidences of crime, but that is mostly because it has a high amount of people. More people usually = more crime, yet not necessarily a high crime rate.

The more compelling statistic would be the "Rate per 1,000 Persons Rank".

GVR ranks 47th in this department, out of 73 statistical neighborhoods.

That's 53.6 crimes (and not necessarily crimes against persons) per 1,000 people. That's a 1 in 20 chance of being a victim of any type of crime throughout the year, or once in 20 years, or 3-4 times a lifetime.

Another compelling statistic, is Montbello, which ranks 41st!!!!!!

If people knew it ranked that far down, and read the statistics properly, maybe the Bellos wouldn't have the rep it does.

I normally ignore crime stats, I find it irrelevant to worry so much about it because even in "bad" areas it isn't all that common of an occurrence.

Residents of GVR, (and maybe even Montbello), you can now rest safely.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Dave, you quoted the wrong portion of that thread. Don't be John McLies -- it was later demonstrated that those stats were bull****. The reality remans, Montbello and GVR remain above average in crime and WELL as in VERY FAR beyond average for bank owns.

I want to agree with you -- but every single stat about GVR simply sucks.

Anyway link to the thread wherein people who are trying to sell in GVR chime in --- and lie.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...y-ranch-8.html

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,995,357 times
I shouldn't have mentioned GVR in my list of places to avoid, I think I opened up a Pandora's Box. To the OP: by all means, check out GVR, but it's not particularly close to the job location on I-70 and Quebec. I think you'd be better off in one of the other places I mentioned.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
it was later demonstrated that those stats were bull****.
When? And by whom?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,078,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
How do you know? Do you pull off and ask them for their gang ID cards?

I wonder if your definition of "banger" might be different then mine.

When it looks like a duck and talks like a duck, I would give the benefit of the doubt and say it's a duck. When one sees groups of 5-10 people screaming obscenities at each other, listening to rap in their old beat up Cadillac, 40's in their hands, wearing crypts colors (blue is a common color, but seeing a blue bandanna will keep me away)....I hear quacking. Feel free to ask yourself, but I'll keep to myself and stay out of the crime stats.

For the most part they do keep to themselves, but every once and awhile you get some pretty nasty business. When I worked on Colfax had one friend who's car was stolen and used for a couple armed robberies. Had another who was robbed at gunpoint when she was stopped in her car. Add a handful of car break ins, not bad for 3 years working out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver