Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,565 times

Advertisements

My husband has received an offer from a company in Colorado. We're talking and considering the move from Ohio. Here, homes have yards without fences and it's kind of nice. Are there areas or neighborhoods anywhere in the Denver area that don't fence in properties? Just curious.... Also - which neighborhoods/suburbs tend to have larger lots (I've got kids who LOVE to play outside). Thanks! This venue is truly a Godsend!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 AM
txp

15 posts, read 49,467 times
Most of the homes in the Anthem neighborhood in Broomfield don't have fences. Some do, but the only kind that can be put up are 4 foot split rail fences so you still get the feeling of open space. Lots in this neighborhood are mostly 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre which is as big as or bigger than most other neighborhoods. There is also a lot of open space, parks and trails for kids to play outside.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
It seems to me the older homes tend to be the ones with the big old six foot privacy fences. My dad used to say it looked like a cattle stockade! (He was from Pittsburgh.) It used to be considered desirable to have a privacy fence. Some of the newer subdivisions are not so fence happy. Big lots are not common here.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,288 times
Wow you know she's right, I never really noticed that.

I came from Ohio, and yeah, I had a big yard, with no fence.

The lots are really irregular and large, so fences are uncommon.

(I don't miss mowing near an acre of grass though)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
There are some communities where fences are rare, others where only a 3-4 ft split rail are allowed.

In most subdivisions, privacy fencing is the norm.

You might look to backing to open space lots - most have spilt rail fences that lend to the illusion of having more space, but not having to mow or water.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
If you don't like fences you probably wouldn't like Aurora. It seems as though all major arterials are lined with sidewalks and back yard fences.

I'd venture as far to say Aurora should be called "The City of Fences".

Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 10,565 times
Thank you everyone! I'll keep ALL of that in mind. We're excited about Denver, but sad to leave our large beautiful yard. But, I think the mountains will make up for it!
aprilfk

Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
I never understood subdivisions with no fences. My parents live in one in the KC area. So you go out on your deck and you're looking across a sea of grass at the back side of all your neighbors - no privacy at all, and way too much grass to mow. I don't think that's common in the Denver suburbs though.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
In the Pittsburgh and Albany, NY areas, homes are built on larger lots, so you're generally not looking right at your neighbors. We have a fence, b/c we have a pool (will be in there today, for sure!), and we can still see what our neighbors are watching on TV, especially when the leaves are off the trees, which is about 7 months a year.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM

189 posts, read 710,826 times
Default Fences

I really dislike the look of fences (except maybe split rail type), but what if you have a dog? With no fence, you have to walk the dog(s) on a leash or hope they don't stray, but I wouldn't trust the neighbors to keep their dog from pooping in my yard. I don't want other people's pets in my yard, especially cats. I live on the Western Slope. In some neighborhoods around here, they only permit wood fences -- they decay and look miserable after a few years if not maintained with preserver or stain. Just go to Austin, TX, and see the blight down there from all the broken-down privacy fences. The white plastic fences last forever, but they are, well, plastic, plus they glare like the dickens when the sun hits them. I had a north-backing yard at my last house, and I needed sunglasses in the house when that southern sun overhead hit that shiny white plastic...just ridiculous. The bottom line is: if you have considerate neighbors who won't allow their kids and dogs onto other people's property, then there's no need for a fence, but that's not the real world, sad to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver