Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM

27 posts, read 73,235 times

Advertisements

Everyplace I've been...we've had one high school. So when someone says "Cherry Creek High School", I was under the impression that the entirety of Cherry Creek School District fed into that high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,188 times
CCSD has 7 area high schools. High Schools Directory - CCSD

Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 AM

5 posts, read 17,144 times
funny to see this thread because you are from the same IKEA store as my GF. It also must be destiny because me and my GF have been looking to move and were considering Tampa or Somerville, but were going to wait in case they opened one in Denver.

I got a call this morning after you guys found out and me and the GF were very excited and laughed! Heres hoping to everything working out for the both of us!

Also in my quick research I am liking Highlands Ranch or Littleton area. We will be getting an apartment/TH though and have no kids.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes View Post
Everyplace I've been...we've had one high school. So when someone says "Cherry Creek High School", I was under the impression that the entirety of Cherry Creek School District fed into that high school.
Yes, the districts here are large. Boulder Valley has about 7 "comprehensive" high schools and a few charter and "alternative" high schools as well.

BTW, four of those high schools are on the 5280 list: Boulder High (Boulder), Fairview High (Boulder), Monarch High (Louisville), and Peak to Peak Charter School (Lafayette). Just a little bragging, though I don't think much of any of those lists. And it would not be a good idea for someone working in Centennial to live in Boulder County, anyway.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:38 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciSux09 View Post
funny to see this thread because you are from the same IKEA store as my GF. It also must be destiny because me and my GF have been looking to move and were considering Tampa or Somerville, but were going to wait in case they opened one in Denver.

I got a call this morning after you guys found out and me and the GF were very excited and laughed! Heres hoping to everything working out for the both of us!

Also in my quick research I am liking Highlands Ranch or Littleton area. We will be getting an apartment/TH though and have no kids.
Hope it works out for you Ikea types, you're gonna love Colorado. Be sure to use the index of threads to find lots of knowledge on schools, climate and much more. Littleton has some RTD stops, be sure to check that out, there is a nice "old-town Littleton" with an RTD stop that could be a real gas-saver for going downtown to all those attractions and stadiums.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Not that it matters but, IKEA has round beds......I've always wanted one of those!!!!
My oldest son went to Smoky Hill HS. He was also in the IB program...I'd say it is a fine CC school. I spent 2 weekends ago driving thru (didn't recognize Smoky Hill Road past Gun Club!!) And, I was a school bus driver for 6 years there!!!!!!!!!!
I think there must be neighborhoods in SE where you could find a home for 300K. I'd just google that area and see what comes up!
Good Luck!!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:49 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Mike, Downtown Littleton is on the SW side. The opposite side of the light rail system from the new proposed location on County Line- Stay to the SE part of town - you can still take light rail downtown!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,279 times
I just visited the area. I really liked the southlands mall area (cool mall!) of SE Aurora (CCSD), like Beacon point, Southshore, and Tallyns Reach. They have some new homes with some really good incentives right now. I also liked HR, Lone Tree, and Parker areas.

but you want to my favorite area so far? Castle Pines.

Everybody has there own preferences.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 PM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
Jake,
All of the attributes of schools that you mention come at a price. The neighborhoods with the greatest number of afflulent homeowners, and the people who demand, and can pay for these features, are mostly in the Cherry Creek School District, and then Littleton Schools. The homeowners who live in more 'modest' homes but still in these districts, benefit from sharing expenses with their "richer" neighbors, and that means better pay and able to attract better teachers and coaches...and more diverse special programs.

Find the most expensive homes, and you will find them located in the best-supported school districts. Parts of South Aurora are light years ahead of their northern Aurora neighbors due to the difference in the funding of their differing school districts.

Of course, exceptions exist. In Denver, there is a handful of schools who outperform all the other Denver schools, not because they get more money, but the parents either have the time or the money to support their school better than the others. One school (Slavens) benefitted from landing just one or two extrordinary administrators, and have been among the top schools.

Centennial is served by Littleton and Cherry Creek Schools. On average they are higher caliber and have a greater number of programs available. You need not concern yourself between them...choose the best neighborhood. The area just to the west of the new Ikea plant is very desirable, my favorite being just north of S. Suburban golf course. You get a lot for the price there.

The light rail would allow good access to downtown and professional sports, but you could not travel east and west through Centennial on it. You would benefit by living elsewhere and commuting to Ikea.

Quote:
We need to live close to Centennial. I'm reading about Cherry Creek, Littleton, and Douglas. What am I overlooking?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 PM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
JAke,
That is partially true. The nearest high school to me is Grandview High School, a Cherry Creek School. However, a large number the kids in our neighborhood chose to opt-out ("school of choice") and instead attend THE Cherry Creek High School. It's that much better. None of them regretted that decision, even though their parents didn't like having to drive them over.

Over the years, Grandview HS, and the newer and nearby Cherokee HS have improved their reputation to the point where younger kids looking at HS next year, don't feel there is as much difference.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver