Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 37,324 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Denver and have two small children. Our needs are: we are looking for an urban lifestyle, family friendly area and good public schools nearby.
Is this possible in Denver or should we just stay in Fort Collins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiereaney View Post
We are looking to move to Denver and have two small children. Our needs are: we are looking for an urban lifestyle, family friendly area and good public schools nearby.
Is this possible in Denver or should we just stay in Fort Collins?
May I suggest my neighborhood? Check out stapletondenver.com, or look at real estate in the 80238 zip. 6 mi. from downtown, within 15 min. of everything in urban Denver, tons of kids, great schools (high school hasn't been built yet though), great people. Eventually light rail will run through Stapleton as well.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
Man we get this question a lot (for good reason!). Fort Collins is great but a little small for me, there are TONS of places in Denver that are great for families. I agree on Stapleton and my neighborhood which is similar but smaller, Bradburn Village in Westminster. Here's some prior threads that might be helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...community.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...etro-area.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ts-around.html

Where to pick depends on price range you are looking for and commute times.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM

168 posts, read 622,095 times
Hi. Do you know where you'll work yet? Commute time can then be factored in to where you'll consider living. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Hey, try Parker or Lone Tree. I drove from Parker to downtown Denver M-F for my job for 4 1/2 years......wasn't bad at all, but I did start to work at 7AM. Basically, had NO traffic when I left the house at 6:20AM.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM

12 posts, read 37,324 times
My husband works from home or travels so commute is not a problem. What about Washington Park or the Highlands area?
Thanks for the input!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiereaney View Post
My husband works from home or travels so commute is not a problem. What about Washington Park or the Highlands area?
Thanks for the input!
I think Wash Park is better for families and a great neighborhood. I don't know about the schools though. Highlands seems to be, from what I've heard, more young professionals, probably not as many kids. I have several neighbors who moved from there to Stapleton after having babies.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
I think the elementary schools in the Washington park area are good. I've heard great things about the Montessori program at Lincoln Elementary. I haven't heard much about the middle school and high school.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Why would you live in Parker or Lone Tree if you wanted an urban lifestyle?

One factor that has been left out is price, which is going to narrow the list of options rather quickly.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think Wash Park is better for families and a great neighborhood. I don't know about the schools though. Highlands seems to be, from what I've heard, more young professionals, probably not as many kids. I have several neighbors who moved from there to Stapleton after having babies.
Highlands and Wash Park are probably the two most popular Denver neighborhoods right now, and there are some good reasons why for each. Wash Park is probably better for families with school age children at the moment, but there is still a considerable price-gap between Wash Park and Highlands (Highlands being less expensive, but only in a relative sense). The main difference is schools. Wash Park's elementary schools are generally solid. The baby-boom of kids in Highlands are just now starting elementary school, and many are just babies and toddlers, consequently CSAP scores don't yet reflect the change in the neighborhood there. I think the schools in North Denver (aka Highlands) will catch up to Wash Park, given the demographics, but Wash Park is about 10 years ahead in that process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver