Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,848,753 times

Advertisements

Here is a thought. My sister used to work at U.S.West for many years before retiring in 2003. She told me that there was a good size room there that kept phone books there from decades back that people can use there for reference. I've been needing to go down there anyway as I visit relatives and friends from time to time (I live west of Grand Junction) and I need to get new phone books of the Denver area White and Yellow Pages anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
23 year resident, moved away in 86. Just remembering stuff, wondering if anybody else does...

Jims Burger Haven on Federal?
Brentwood shopping center
Kennedy High School and Bear Valley...'65-70
Villa Italia
Cinderela City
Cruising 16th and a cop named Snyder
The Scotchman
39th street and Peoria street racing
Allan Berg
Lakeridge Road
The Federal Center
Casa Fiesta
Craig Chevrolet in Arvada
Obviously no particular order, just pop ups in the head. Status? other memories? What's it like today? I haven't been back since a 2 hour layover in 87.

I haven't been back for a long time either, and I hope to make it back in the next couple of years. I have a few childhood memories.

I remember Burt Chevrolet in Englewood. I don't have many memories of Craig Chevrolet. My dad always bought Chevrolets and we used to see the new models every fall. Burt Chevrolet was always packed, and they had a spotlight that zoomed all over the sky.

I remember Joslins.

I remember Neusteters. My mom didn't buy clothing there because it was so expensive, and I always used to joke with her that she bought her clothing at Wardsteters. I remember Wards being fairly close to Neusteters. Wards at that time was an ugly multi-story concrete building.

I took my swimming lessons at the Littleton YMCA. At that time, it was an old two or three-story house with a pool in the backyard.

I took a few ice skating lessons at DU. I never did master my triple axel. LOL!

I also took the Evelyn Wood spead reading course at DU. What a bummer! Without that speed reading course, I wouldn't have been able to master my triple axel. That course saved me from reading, and reading, and reading Sure!

I used to go quite bit to a recreational trampoline place on Santa Fe Drive. As I recall, they had a minature golf course, too. They had about 20 trampolines and they were all at the ground level. Back then, that was the rage. Today, I don't think this type of business would be viable with high insurance rates. Jumping on a trampoline can be dangerous, if there's no spotters around.

Last edited by Zel Ya; 10-16-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So for those who were around back then before I was born, would you have rather lived in the Denver of the 60's and 70's or the Denver of today?

When I was a child, Denver didn't have smog. I could see Pikes Peak though the living room window.

Take me back to those days.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,145 times
I'd forgotten all about the trampoline place!
Who recalls the afternoon showers Denver got during the spring/summer? They stopped around 63/64....at the same time we experienced more than a few earthquakes in the area, and it was disclosed that Rocky Flats had been pumping nuclear active waste water into empty missle silos to the east of town(now all developed I am certain).
Governor Lamm rising to power via boycotting the Olympics coming to Evergreen?
All the ROTC troops from DPS marching in the Veterans Day Parade downtown?
Cloud seeding during the winter of 72 I believe it was?
And btw....there was a Playboy centerspread that worked as a operator at the telephone company back in 71/72....you'd never have looked twice at her the way she dressed and wore her hair.
What was the big rock/roll promoters name? Barry Fey? I recall seeing him in a limo outside the Playboy club around 72, several characters in it with him.
Ebbets Field downtown?
Whole Earth(?)coffee shop somewhere near Broadway and the Interstate overpass.....

Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 PM

67 posts, read 157,095 times
Any one remember the show on channel 2 for teens called Discote (SP)(Dis-KO-TA). It was in the mid 60's when Channel 2 was still located on Speer blvd. It was a teen dance show similar to American Band stand. There was a band there sometimes called the Jolly Green giants and they had their faces and things made up in Green paint or something.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,848,753 times
drb85650- thought of a small chain that thrived for a short while. Malt Shop records. Had one store for many years, expanded to three from '78 to '83. By the late 80's they were out of business. Had a fair amount of vinyl- new and used. I remember one being on the west side of town. The other 2 was east Denver and Aurora.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 PM

[quote=drb85650;5776179]I'd forgotten all about the trampoline place!
Who recalls the afternoon showers Denver got during the spring/summer? They stopped around 63/64, /quote]

I can't remember the afternoon showers.

However, I do recall seeing hail about 5 inches deep in Englewood, and I've never seen anything remotely similar since that hailstorm. This was probably in around '62 and it was apparently a very localized thing, because my dad and I had been in the downtown Englewood area and it didn't hail on us; but it sure hailed about 10 blocks or so from the downtown area. It looked just like snow. I would guess the hailstorm was in the spring or summer.

Did anybody go to Progress Plunge? It was an indoor swimming pool, and I swam there during the winter months. They may have had an outdoor pool, but I can't remember. During the summer months, I swam at the Littleton YMCA.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
Hey drb: Was this guy kind of a renegade, wore spurs on his boots, motorcycle cop? Seems like he was a red head. That's funny!

Quote:
A cop named Snyder? Took great joy in writing tickets on 16th street.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
There's a Jim's Burger Haven over on 84th (?) and Washington (?). omg so yummy.

I worked in Villa Italia, it took quite the downturn right before they bulldozed it. I worked in this store that in the back sold these slutty clothes, in the front, "family style" sweatshirts and sports stuff.

Brentwood, that was fun until it just got old.

Thanks for bringing up Allan Berg, loved his show, hated his killers, that was a really sad day...

Quote:
Jims Burger Haven on Federal?... Brentwood shopping center...Villa Italia...Cinderela City...Allan Berg

Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,453,889 times
I thought that was on 88th and Washington or one block west, but I can't remember. I haven't been up that way in 10 years!

How about Unique Burger on 72nd and Pecos? Pretty good pastrami burger!

Oh, and how about the calzones at Romas up there on 84th ?? or 88th and Washington?

I'm hungry now.

Flashforward to wantto: Chicken and Waffles! The Breakfast of Champions!

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-22-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Thousands of years ago into the future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver