Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post

I miss the old diner in the Woolworth's on the 16th St. Mall. Remember they had everything, pet store, diner, clothes, appliances? lol
That was where my Grandma used to take us, if she didn't take us to Baur's.

Did anyone ever join the yuppie throngs at the Colorado Mining Company?
There was also Miss Rosie Bottoms, I remember seeing a lot of Denver Broncos there back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Baur's? Isn't there a Baur's now over by the Marriott Courtyard? Are they trying to replicate the old one? I've never been inside.

Woolworth's had the best fries. Also cheap stuff. I outfitted my entire apt. there once. Except for furniture. That came from the thrift shop.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Baur's? Isn't there a Baur's now over by the Marriott Courtyard? Are they trying to replicate the old one? I've never been inside.

Woolworth's had the best fries. Also cheap stuff. I outfitted my entire apt. there once. Except for furniture. That came from the thrift shop.
Yes, I heard they are trying to revive Baur's.
I used to love Woolworth's when I was a kid.
My parents didn't let us eat a lot of fast food so those little grilled cheeses in a basket with fries were a real treat for us.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
We didn't get fast food either, only if we were on a road trip and that wasn't very often. omg and I just remembered their cherry cokes!!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM

25 posts, read 295,057 times
Yes, it is interesting that fast food was a real treat back then. And except for Casa Bonita, little mexican divey places were TOTALLY a no in my family, even though now we know some of those are the best.

There was one Taco Bell I remember (Colfax?) done in the old adobe style. You couldn't have paid my parents to go there. In fact, the first taco I ever had my mom made at home, I was 8 or 9!

I remember the one McDonalds that wasn't too far from our house, before they put one in across from Bear Valley. It had the old style walk up window, with the sidewalk center and perpendicular coming out from the front, and you parked on either side of it, walked up and got your food!

A & W somewhere in Southwest Denver, cannot remember where. That was the place with real car door carhop service, and man it was good.

KFC we usually got and ate in the car at the drive in before the movie started, that was awesome.

We ate out at least once a week, but for the most part, it was real restaurants. Wyatts/Furr's cafeteria or better. Top of the Rockies, Hungry Dutchman, Pinehurst, Georgie Boys (remember that one?) Northwoods Inn, etc.

Does anyone remember the Alpine Inn or the El Rancho restaurant? The El Rancho is still there, but both of them you would like wait 2 hours reservations or not. El Rancho was worth it, but I remember my parents gave the Alpine Inn 2 chances and we simply COULD NOT GET FOOD THERE!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
The A and W in south Denver was on south Broadway and Vasser ave. Casa Bonita! Only people with cast iron stomachs like me could eat there, but still is a cool place in its own way. Georgia Boys! Been a long time since I was there, WAY out on south Broadway in Littleton. In its heyday Dry Creek Road turned into a gravel road when you got to University, and Georgia Boys was near there. C-470 was not even thought about at that time.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM

25 posts, read 295,057 times
You are the only person I know that remembers Georgie (a?) Boys. I remember my dad got the tab one time for all of us and it was like $20 and I thought that was so much. For some reason, I can't remember too much about it, but I can remember Hungry Dutchman like I went there last month!

When you think about it, it is amazing how many non-chain restaurants there were, and for us, we really stayed around the Southwest Denver area, with some occasional trips downtown. So if you factor in everything on the North and East sides of town, you could really EAT in Denver!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 11,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Did anyone ever join the yuppie throngs at the Colorado Mining Company? There was also Miss Rosie Bottoms, I remember seeing a lot of Denver Broncos there back in the day.
I found this thread in a Google search and had to respond because an evening at Miss Rosie Bottoms changed my life- for the better.

I was staying at the Brown Palace in the late 70s just finishing a predoctoral internship in psych, looking for work and attending a mammoth week long convention for folks in the field. A professor and I made our way to the "yuppie throng" and settled into an evening of serious beer and music. I met a shrink from a major university and spent the evening talking with him about all kinds of crap. Two weeks later he called me to interview for a job at his school. I was hired and thirty years later he is no longer my boss but still a best friend. Yeah, I liked Rosie Bottoms a lot!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:23 PM
KL1

2 posts, read 23,659 times
Default Anyone know?

Anyone familiar with a bar called Larry's Lounge somewhere near Denver? I know it was open in 1964. I think two guys owned it, Larry somebody and a Bob Calvert.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
The McDonalds described could have been several...Brentwood Shopping center, west Colfax....
The "head" shop in Boulder...."Magnolia Thunderpussies" . Hey that was the name, I'm not getting dirty.
El Rancho...nice view, fair food.
A & W...there was one on south Federal, across from Lincoln High, Brentwood Shopping Center.
Spartans department store(early wal mart)on south Sheridan.
Kennedy High School was a active pig farm in 63/early 64.
The caves or shrines(grottos?) along Bear Creek, vicinity was between Sheridan and Lowell? (name might be wrong). Right alongside Hampden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver