Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,726,826 times

Advertisements

Downtown is used as a general term. It's like naming a burb you live in. But if you are talking to others who live downtown, you get more specific. There's lodo (lower downtown), uptown, the Hill (Capitol Hill), Wash Park (Washington Park), City Park, etc. Oh yeah and DU, the university. And there are tons more.

So some of these places are more expensive than others. Lodo doesn't even compare to Capitol Hill. Lodo is where a lot of lofts are, some new, but mostly expensive. See what I mean?

Personally, I think the Hill is your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalabrynn View Post
Ok. A couple questions for those that responded (thanks by the way). Is "The Hill" Capitol Hill? I'm assuming DU is Denver University???? And most of you say that staying downtown might be out of my price range....where would you recommend that's as close to downtown as possible, cheaper, and safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Do you mean say good morning/hello to the people they work with or strangers? I don't really say that to strangers, although most people will smile at you. Walking on the mall is a different matter for me. During my lunch hour, I love listening to the street performers, but then there are some beggars that really launch on you if you smile at them. After work, I often do happy hour, probably once a week. At that time, everyone is friendly. I've made actual friends who were once strangers to me. You kind of have to go out on a limb. Some people just go home. But even then, when I ride the bus, I know tons of people on the bus and I always say hi, some I sit with and chat with. It's pretty usual for my bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicie View Post
Do people say good morning/hello when they come in for work?Is everyone to themselves at work? So, do you feel that the way it is in the streets (UNFRIENDLY) the same in work environments. In other words, do people go in, do their job, then go home without socializing? Feedback from anyone would be nice.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM

I think the Hill is very safe. I lived there for 15 yrs. without one incident. That said, you must use common sense like anywhere else you go. I felt like people were more friendly there than where I live now (north burb). But that could also be because in the burbs, you just drive into your garage and that's it. Or the houses are spaced farther apart, just not a lot of socialness, not like the Hill anyway. The Hill has wayyy more walkers and the like and people generally seem to get out more, hence you meet more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalabrynn View Post
how does everyone feel about Capitol Hill? Safe?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM

84 posts, read 223,957 times
Any apartment complex's you could suggest in The Hill?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Mika: noooo, there are zillions of them. Somewhere back on this post, I think, I described how to find apts. Best to pick a good cross street, park your car, and then take a walk. Many apts. don't even list, they just put out a sign. Also, this depends on how much you are looking to spend. I could be confusing you with someone else on this board, isn't it you that has a budget of $700?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 AM

84 posts, read 223,957 times
That's correct. I don't have my job in denver yet, but with what I make now here in Orange County, $700 is what I can afford. I was just using that as a guideline. My friend MIGHT move with me which makes finding a place a bit easier because we could get a 2 bedroom. I'm planning a weekend trip in 3 weeks and want to check out some places, so any recommendations would be good. I know how to search online, but it's just a computer. Everything looks nice and SAFE on here haha.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM

I see. Well for the Hill, you could start with Poet's Row. It's around Sherman and between 6th-7th Avenue and 11th Avenue - I think. They are all owned by Triton I believe. Park somewhere around 12th and Pennsylvania and then walk around there. Go over by City Park (York and ?? 20th?). Prepare to do a lot of walking!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM

41 posts, read 219,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Do you mean say good morning/hello to the people they work with or strangers? I don't really say that to strangers, although most people will smile at you. Walking on the mall is a different matter for me. During my lunch hour, I love listening to the street performers, but then there are some beggars that really launch on you if you smile at them. After work, I often do happy hour, probably once a week. At that time, everyone is friendly. I've made actual friends who were once strangers to me. You kind of have to go out on a limb. Some people just go home. But even then, when I ride the bus, I know tons of people on the bus and I always say hi, some I sit with and chat with. It's pretty usual for my bus.
STREET PERFORMERS?! Go Denver, Go Denver! I bet that is nice. I guess it''s not so bad. You just to be a little more outgoing to make friends there.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM

Well, not like what I saw in San Diego or New Orleans, but yep, down the mall there are tons of people trying to make a buck. Various music players mostly, now that I think of it. The downtown area of Denver is actually quite nice. And talk about friendly, I'd say Denver blows away other major cities like Los Angeles and Atlanta. I've been paying more attention since this post started.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,098 times
Denver is similar to most other large cities in America. Americans generally have become more guarded and less likely to form friendships since the 60's. I say generally because there are areas that are friendlier but each area caters to certain personality traits. If you're a top level banker or investor New York is full of friends. If you love to get high and climb mountains, Colorado is a paradise of friendships. I am in trouble anywhere I go. I am part liberal, part conservative, I love to shoot but I don't like hunting, I love to hike but I can't hike for 8 hours straight and I always start my hikes after 11am. I think pot should be legal but I don't smoke. You see what I mean? I have been in Colorado for about 3 years and have two friends that are somewhat compatible. I accept our differences because after you turn 40, finding friends is like winning the lottery, the odds aren't very good. Meet-up is a great place to meet people. It may take 30-40 meet-ups before you find someone you can stand but it is all about persistence and tolerance. Persist until you find someone you can tolerate! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver