Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:37 PM

84 posts, read 223,809 times

Advertisements

how does everyone feel about Capitol Hill? Safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 16,934 times
I have to agree with most of the posters. I moved to Denver almost 2 months ago. I find people here very unfriendly to say the least. I work at a downtown company with 300+ employees. My department is about 30 people. They are some of the most unfriendliest people I have ever met. The only friendly person seems to be my boss, lol. He actually is trying to liven up the atmosphere a little bit and is organizing a picnic in mid June but as far as I know the others are not really up to it.. Is it really so hard to say 'hello' or 'good morning' when you see a coworker in the hallaway? Of course, when customers are around everyone is all smiles..

It will be harder to make friends or even acquantances than I thought. Oh well, at least I am not the only one..

Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 16,934 times
mikalabrynn,

I live in Capitol Hill, just a few blocks away from Cheeseman Park. I like the neighborhood -- everything you need is in walking distance - grocery stores, restaurants, dry cleaners, even a movie theater. It's two miles from downtown. I take the bus to work -- it takes me 20 min with the walking and I don't have to worry about parking.. I think most of the residents on my block are young families with small children or young couples. I see a lot of young people walking their dogs, jogging, etc. I live in a house with two roommates and pay a very reasonable rent. So far I like it here, no major complaints.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 PM

84 posts, read 223,809 times
thanks, good to know!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:49 PM

41 posts, read 219,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodenver View Post
I have to agree with most of the posters. I moved to Denver almost 2 months ago. I find people here very unfriendly to say the least. I work at a downtown company with 300+ employees. My department is about 30 people. They are some of the most unfriendliest people I have ever met. The only friendly person seems to be my boss, lol. He actually is trying to liven up the atmosphere a little bit and is organizing a picnic in mid June but as far as I know the others are not really up to it.. Is it really so hard to say 'hello' or 'good morning' when you see a coworker in the hallaway? Of course, when customers are around everyone is all smiles..

It will be harder to make friends or even acquantances than I thought. Oh well, at least I am not the only one..
Do people say good morning/hello when they come in for work?Is everyone to themselves at work? So, do you feel that the way it is in the streets (UNFRIENDLY) the same in work environments. In other words, do people go in, do their job, then go home without socializing? Feedback from anyone would be nice.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Default Boo, Hoo, Hoo....

Oh, Booo, Hoo, Hoo, I cannot find a friend. oh my, what is there to do.

It seems to me that all these complaints are from people who make too much money, have too much free time, spend too much time on their computer toys, have too much stuff---and now find out that they cannot buy everything----they cannot buy a friend.

The reason is simple , all you people have achieved success in your lives, have education, have money but all that success was result of the one goal your were after--to make yourself independent of anyone else. You do not need the government for assistance; you do not need you neighbors for assistance; you do not need man or woman--your are the "Amercan Dream"; you do not need anyone because your prosperity has made you free---free of your fellow man and woman.

You want friends?? well, there is an easy way--become poor. Become so poor, that you need help on a daily basis; that you need assistance from your fellows; that every aspect of your lives, in order to survive, you need other people---and they need you.

What I am describing is a village; a village of interdependent needs just like days of old. The freedom that you have achieved; the success you have gained has given you the financial independence of reliance of other and you also seek not others to help in your isolated lifestyles. The whole success culture in America is measured by how much you can isolated yourselfs from others--with your too big houses; your automobiles; your electronic entertainment and most of all the effet snobbery which you get from your feelings of entitlement because of your education and the money that it brings. Congratulations, you have succeeded.

First, shut of this isolating machine and seek a real world instead of this specious virtual world. Seek people in real desparate need and help. Have some basic needs for survival that require you to seek others for help---oh, you say, I do not need anybody, I have enough money; I have a disposal income; I have better education; I have a position in society; I have a career; I have three computers; I have a boat; I have a SUV; I have a investments and a big retirement; I have numerous dogs and cats----but you do not have friends. That is because people seek out other people who really need them.

I am poor in wealth. I am poor in health. I have real basic needs. I need people. Remember "People who need people, are the happiest people in the world."

Yes, I have friends, because they have a need to satisfy their wants by helping me in my desparate needs. And, what is given to me, I find others who have less, and have a more desparate need, and I then I have a friend because I am needed.

So, throw off the arrogance of your success and becoming needy--become "poor", and you can
Livecontent

Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Oh, Booo, Hoo, Hoo, I cannot find a friend. oh my, what is there to do.

It seems to me that all these complaints are from people who make too much money, have too much free time, spend too much time on their computer toys, have too much stuff---and now find out that they cannot buy everything----they cannot buy a friend.

The reason is simple , all you people have achieved success in your lives, have education, have money but all that success was result of the one goal your were after--to make yourself independent of anyone else. You do not need the government for assistance; you do not need you neighbors for assistance; you do not need man or woman--your are the "Amercan Dream"; you do not need anyone because your prosperity has made you free---free of your fellow man and woman.

You want friends?? well, there is an easy way--become poor. Become so poor, that you need help on a daily basis; that you need assistance from your fellows; that every aspect of your lives, in order to survive, you need other people---and they need you.

What I am describing is a village; a village of interdependent needs just like days of old. The freedom that you have achieved; the success you have gained has given you the financial independence of reliance of other and you also seek not others to help in your isolated lifestyles. The whole success culture in America is measured by how much you can isolated yourselfs from others--with your too big houses; your automobiles; your electronic entertainment and most of all the effet snobbery which you get from your feelings of entitlement because of your education and the money that it brings. Congratulations, you have succeeded.

First, shut of this isolating machine and seek a real world instead of this specious virtual world. Seek people in real desparate need and help. Have some basic needs for survival that require you to seek others for help---oh, you say, I do not need anybody, I have enough money, I have a disposal income, I have better education, I have a position in society, I have a career, I have three computers, I have numerous dogs and cats----but you do not have friends. That is because people seek out other people who really need them.

I am poor in wealth. I am poor in health. I have real basic needs. I need people. Remember "People who need people, are the happiest people in the world."

Yes, I have friends, because they have a need to satisfy their wants by helping me in my desparate needs. And, what is given to me, I find others who have less, and have a more desparate need, and I then I have a friend because I am needed.

So, throw off the arrogance of your success and becoming needy--become "poor", and you can
Livecontent
I am soooo sorry you think this way. I do not agree with you at all. I think what you are describing is a leech and I've had plenty of those in my days and don't need anymore. I can't believe you just posted that. Who said everyone on this thread is rich/ well off anyway? My goodness!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:46 PM

Just found something sooooo cute. Hope you all enjoy! The title is "What is a friend" ------>
YouTube - What is a Friend?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicie View Post
I am soooo sorry you think this way. I do not agree with you at all. I think what you are describing is a leech and I've had plenty of those in my days and don't need anymore. I can't believe you just posted that. Who said everyone on this thread is rich/ well off anyway? My goodness!
You seek out the aggressive, self-absorbed, independent, arrogant, competitive individuals. You are seeking out the same admirable qualities as yourself--yes, and I mean admirable, because society needs these types to have growth in industry and science. These are the type that acheive that noted success but they do not always make the best friends because they have no needs or expose a need; they are honed to be competitive in college and the workplace, to achieve and to achieve and will not let family or friendship get in the way. These people do not need you, and you do not need them. You will find these people in the same neighborhoods that you live; the same bars that you frequent; the same restaurants that you overindulge; having the same overpriced coffee at Starbucks; the same auto; the same house; the same clothes; the same mates; the same "me" speak; --all the same, all the same...

You say those who have needs are "leeches". Then you really do not see the need in others, and you have no need to be helped. Yes, very admirable and very lonely.

Livecontent

Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodenver View Post

I like to say people are a lil TOO friendly in transitional Denver/Boulder and its burbs, perhaps they won't say HI or butt into your business and you feel unwelcome as a new comer but try saying hi to them instead, you'll find out they are probably new and feel the same way as you and you might have a lot in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver