Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 09:30 AM

380 posts, read 1,231,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbuffalos View Post
Sorry, I just can't let this one slip by. Closer to the sun? Like 92,999,999 miles instead of 93,000,000?
Flyingbuffalos, you are too funny!! Going to need lots of sun block !

Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM

88 posts, read 310,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Actually it is significant.

"UV exposure increases 8-10 percent with every 1,000 feet above sea level."

from

Protect yourself from skin cancer while skiing, snowboarding - Oroville Mercury Register
I don't dispute that. I believe the OP was saying that it was hotter in Denver because it is closer to the sun, which is technically absurd, therefore amusing. As the air thins, there is less barrier through which the UV rays are filtered. Being a blonde, blue-eyed, pale, freckled woman, I am bringing plenty of sunscreen when I move next month.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:12 PM

88 posts, read 310,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
I would think UV rates increase due to thinner air rather than actually being a miniscule amount closer to the sun.
Precisely.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,623,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbuffalos View Post
Being a blonde, blue-eyed, pale, freckled woman, I am bringing plenty of sunscreen when I move next month.
And good sunglasses too!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM

35 posts, read 305,989 times
Default Flatlanders........

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And good sunglasses too!
Maybe Denver is not for a flatlander like EscapeCalifornia. The first time I moved to the Denver area was way back in 1967. I can still remember coming into Lowry AFB and seeing all the brick houses, coming from California I had never seen a brick house and it was really different. Then I learned about Larimer Street Square ( back then Lo Do was one block long on Larimer Street). I also got out of the city's to take in Denver's great play ground called the Rocky Mountains and when John Denver came out with Rocky Mountain High, I was hooked on the drugs he sang about in that song, I still get a lump in my mouth when I hear it sung.
Forget the pig smell, altitude sickness and the bad traffic. When was the last time anyone in Denver went into an old building and smelled mold or mildew like you do in most towns in any state along the Pacific ocean. When was the last time you found a rattle snake in your living room like in Arizona and Texas? When was the last time any city in Colorado declared bankruptcy like Vallejo California?
If someone has to ask why they should not move here, just smile and suggest they move somewhere else. Our drug of choice is called the Rocky Mountains and like most drug addicts we do not really to share with outside flatlanders

Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,478,873 times
Who's this "we" in we don't want to share? I'm fine with sharing.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,623,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
Maybe Denver is not for a flatlander like EscapeCalifornia. The first time I moved to the Denver area was way back in 1967. I can still remember coming into Lowry AFB and seeing all the brick houses, coming from California I had never seen a brick house and it was really different. Then I learned about Larimer Street Square ( back then Lo Do was one block long on Larimer Street). I also got out of the city's to take in Denver's great play ground called the Rocky Mountains and when John Denver came out with Rocky Mountain High, I was hooked on the drugs he sang about in that song, I still get a lump in my mouth when I hear it sung.
Forget the pig smell, altitude sickness and the bad traffic. When was the last time anyone in Denver went into an old building and smelled mold or mildew like you do in most towns in any state along the Pacific ocean. When was the last time you found a rattle snake in your living room like in Arizona and Texas? When was the last time any city in Colorado declared bankruptcy like Vallejo California?
If someone has to ask why they should not move here, just smile and suggest they move somewhere else. Our drug of choice is called the Rocky Mountains and like most drug addicts we do not really to share with outside flatlanders
I think you're still on drugs. I suggested that someone needs sunglasses in Denver in addition to sunscreen, and you post this?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,839 times
Jeez, what is your problem. We as Californians deal with people moving to our state from all over and that seams to be ok with everyone. Just because people from Calfornia or anywhere else wants to move there you cop some rude attitude like they are invading the land you made or communities you built. I don't understand your frame of mind at all!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM

380 posts, read 1,231,974 times
Quote:
The reason I started this thread was to get a complete view of the city not to open myself or anyone else up to personal insults. Up til now everyone has been helpful and nice in what they have to say. Attacks against anyone posting on this thread are not welcome. I said at the start of the thread that all opinions would be respected and I ment it!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 AM

2,756 posts, read 13,028,413 times
Quote:
Our drug of choice is called the Rocky Mountains and like most drug addicts we do not really to share with outside flatlanders
Actually we are flatlanders. Metro Denver is flat. Fort Collins is flat. Boulder is flat. The eastern third or so of Colorado is flat. Yes, we live right next to the mountains... but right next to the mountains is not the same as IN the mountains. So, people who live in glass houses... you know the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver