Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:58 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Compton, Pacoima, and Watts, CA have better weather.
You could get a really nice home in Barstow or Needles or Dagget, CA for cheaper than Denver.
It isn't as dry in New Orleans or Houston in summer as it is in Denver so you wouldn't need any moisturizing lotion.
There are more freeways in California to get you around.
Jobs in California pay more so it must make sense to buy a home there.
Locke, San Fernando, and Dorsey high schools in SoCal have more diversity than Denver high schools. They must be better.
There aren't as many role model movie stars in Denver.
Only 2 reasons not to move to Denver:

1) There are not enough sarcastic people in the Denver area... we need more like Charles.

2) It is so cold here you could die just walking across a parking lot... this could have easily happened here... close call.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,810 times
That's amazing. Denver isn't that green? I know it's sorta in a high desert, I live in Tucson. I would expect Denver to be a fairly green city.!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
koolcat,

I have lived in both metro Denver (way back when) and Wyoming. I frequently had to go to Denver, even when I didn't live there, so I know both places pretty well.

I won't repeat all the reasons not to live in Denver. There have been plenty posted already. Other than the fact that there are no large metro areas in Wyoming (which was not something I needed), there is only one big reason I could think of not to live in Wyoming: yeah, you guessed it, the wind. I put up with that because I thought that all of the other Wyoming positives far outweighed the negatives.

So, might I ask--why, for any other than economic reasons, would you want to relocate from Wyoming to Denver? There are a ton of people in Denver who would gladly move to Wyoming if they could figure out how to make a living there--many of them Wyoming natives who moved to Denver for job reasons. Just wondering . . .

Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
everyone wants to be somewhere else............I agree, Denver is pretty brown, that's why i'm settiling in COS. At least it's closer to the mountains

Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
koolcat,

I have lived in both metro Denver (way back when) and Wyoming. I frequently had to go to Denver, even when I didn't live there, so I know both places pretty well.

I won't repeat all the reasons not to live in Denver. There have been plenty posted already. Other than the fact that there are no large metro areas in Wyoming (which was not something I needed), there is only one big reason I could think of not to live in Wyoming: yeah, you guessed it, the wind. I put up with that because I thought that all of the other Wyoming positives far outweighed the negatives.

So, might I ask--why, for any other than economic reasons, would you want to relocate from Wyoming to Denver? There are a ton of people in Denver who would gladly move to Wyoming if they could figure out how to make a living there--many of them Wyoming natives who moved to Denver for job reasons. Just wondering . . .
I love theater, arts, music, shows, zoos, dancing....all in short supply around here. Whenever I go on vacation I go to see these things. Figured if I lived near these things life would be just a little more like a vacation.
It is very hard to make a living around here. Wages are low (except in a few fields) and bennies rarely offered.
The methane gas boom has driven up cost of living, cost of housing, and in many cities and towns there are no rentals avalible at all.
I am tired of people who think it is cool to be a redneck...translate, cool to be dumb.
I have zero interest in gas, constrution, rail roads, coal, or ranching.
Mostly I am bored. I love the mountians but long for indoor activities and a night life that is more then bellying up to the bar at the main street hole watching people get drunk.
I grew up here but I really don't fit in. Maybe I am missing the treasure. If so moving away will help me see it!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
I love theater, arts, music, shows, zoos, dancing....all in short supply around here. Whenever I go on vacation I go to see these things. Figured if I lived near these things life would be just a little more like a vacation.
All those things are in Denver. If you want more, plan on doubling your cost of living because the only places that have more are NY, LA, SF, DC, etc.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,071 times
Quote:
It is so cold here you could die just walking across a parking lot... this could have easily happened here... close call.
Undergrad in Missouri and grad in Ithaca taught me that Denver is in fact not cold.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,810 times
Denver is no that cold compared to other places. I lived in Alaska and that is COLD!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Seven years in Champaign, Il preceded my moving here. It's not cold here.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,637 times
Couldn't agree with you more Charles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Compton, Pacoima, and Watts, CA have better weather. Must be why the gangs run these areas.
You could get a really nice home in Barstow or Needles or Dagget, CA for cheaper than Denver. Because nobody wants to live here.
It isn't as dry in New Orleans or Houston in summer as it is in Denver so you wouldn't need any moisturizing lotion. Nor do we have the bugs NO and any city in the south has.
There are more freeways in California to get you around. Plus, you get to sit in traffic jams for hours on them. They work oh so well there.
Jobs in California pay more so it must make sense to buy a home there. The cost of living is also higher.
Locke, San Fernando, and Dorsey high schools in SoCal have more diversity than Denver high schools. They must be better. Only if you want your kids involved in gang or drug activity.
There aren't as many role model movie stars in Denver. Thank God for this as we are not in danger of a drugged out Brittany Spears crashing into us with her SUV.
Yes Denver is dry, but not as dry as Phoenix and nothing lotion can't handle. Being a native, I have had the dry and cracked nasal passages and went to the doc for oientment. Problem solved. It is brown from October until the end of April, but then very green - this is Denver I speak of not the burbs. The snow doesn't always melt the next day and removal is an ongoing battle. That mixed with pot-holes are my only complaint, but these issues can happen in any city that has periodic snow fall over a few inches. No city is perfect but at least for me here in Capitol Hill, I don't worry about gangs, bugs, rude people and I get to enjoy the fifth most walkable city in the country, diversity, tree covered streets and over 300 days of sunshine a year. If Denver were any more trendy or filled with more millionaires, it would loose it's charm and would be just another NYC or L.A., hence have all of their problems as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver