Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
...So far positive all around, except horrible access to good Asian markets and goods (I'm Japanese Okinawan). The best markets here still have pretty limited stuff, Vegas actually had great quantity and quality of stuff. Guess not to many Asians except seemingly for the Vietnamese, many Vietnamese grocery and Pho restaurants. Guess I'll have to depend on family to USPS care packages regularly.
The Japanese Food Market, Pacific Mercantile Asian Food, Japanese Food, Japanese Gifts in this area is at Sakura Square, a long established Japanese community housing development in downtown
Sakura Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is the site of a large Buddhist Temple, http://tsdbt.org/web/

The largest Asian Market is Pacific Ocean Pacific Ocean Marketplace with the original on West Alameda. There is one in Broomfield and will open is Aurora in December.

There is a big Korean Market called H-Mart in Aurora, 2751 South Parker Rd., and one in Westminster at 92nd and Sheridan. It is somewhat part of large national chain but these local stores do not appear in their website--there is some internal family argument that I do not understand. Here is the website to give you an idea of the offerings Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

There is a plethora of Asian Markets in our Asian area at Alameda and Federal, mostly Vietnamese, Laotian and Chinese. There are Vietnamese Markets in old part of Westminster at 72nd. and Federal. There is a large Vietnamese market, Viet Huong, at South Sheridan and Alameda.

The Japanese Community have a Japanese Methodist Church in Arvada, Simpson United Methodist http://www.simpsonumc.com/tp40/Default.asp?ID=196652

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-26-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM

246 posts, read 650,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
Wut?..Denver is a much larger city than Honolulu...
Figured someone would question this. Statistics don't tell much and can be misleading. While Denver has 2 mil people and much greater built environment, its spread out over the plains. Honolulu is a little island and everything is squished together. Traversing through Honolulu is ten times worse than Denver because of the density. And I'm not talking about density per capita because even that number is misleading, you cannot simply divide the population over area of land especially when terrain is a factor.

Ever drive around Honolulu morning, noon, and after work to get to places? Way bigger nightmare than Denver.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info, I went to all the major places you mentioned within the past 2 days and while they have a lot, still not in-depth stuff that I needed and could find in Honolulu and even in Vegas. But I'm thankful for what they have!

Yes my observation of the many Vietnamese markets sounds true confirmed on your post, but I'm Japanese, the Vietnamese stuff isn't close to being similar to stuff I can use. I appreciate the recommendations though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The Japanese Food Market, Pacific Mercantile Asian Food, Japanese Food, Japanese Gifts in this area is at Sakura Square, a long established Japanese community housing development in downtown
Sakura Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is the site of a large Buddhist Temple, Tri-State/Denver Buddhist Temple |

The largest Asian Market is Pacific Ocean Pacific Ocean Marketplace with the original on West Alameda. There is one in Broomfield and will open is Aurora in December.

There is a big Korean Market called H-Mart in Aurora, 2751 South Parker Rd., and one in Westminster at 92nd and Sheridan. It is somewhat part of large national chain but these local stores do not appear in their website--there is some internal family argument that I do not understand. Here is the website to give you an idea of the offerings Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

There is a plethora of Asian Markets in our Asian area at Alameda and Federal, mostly Vietnamese, Laotian and Chinese. There are Vietnamese Markets in old part of Westminster at 72nd. and Federal. There is a large Vietnamese market, Viet Huong, at South Sheridan and Alameda.

The Japanese Community have a Japanese Methodist Church in Arvada, Simpson United Methodist Simpson United Methodist Church

Livecontent

Old 11-26-2014, 09:26 PM

117 posts, read 138,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Figured someone would question this. Statistics don't tell much and can be misleading. While Denver has 2 mil people and much greater built environment, its spread out over the plains. Honolulu is a little island and everything is squished together. Traversing through Honolulu is ten times worse than Denver because of the density. And I'm not talking about density per capita because even that number is misleading, you cannot simply divide the population over area of land especially when terrain is a factor.

Ever drive around Honolulu morning, noon, and after work to get to places? Way bigger nightmare than Denver.
I'm actually quite familiar with Honolulu. My wife's entire Filipino family are multi-generation locals. I've been going there every other year since we've been together.

Anyways, you stated that Honolulu is a larger metropolitan city than Denver. In no way, shape or form is Honolulu larger than Denver. If you said that Honolulu is more dense with less roads and highways for cars to commute across then you'd be correct.

That being said, you are absolutely correct that Honolulu has worse traffic overall. However, Denver's metro is closer to 3 million to Honolulu's 1 million. Statistics or not, Denver is much larger than Honolulu in population, area and build.

It sounds like you haven't explored Denver much considering what you've written so far. Aurora and Denver are two completely different cities with two entirely different feels. With a little more time, I think you'd be surprised about how bad traffic actually gets in the city.

I'm curious of one thing, you say that you left Honolulu to Denver/Aurora for a more laid back feel. Huh? Honolulu is the epitome of laid back. Every time I come back to Denver from Honolulu I'm instantly stressed out. Denver being a laid back cowtown is a little overblown. I find Denver to be more stressful and fast paced than Honolulu (and that's saying a lot). Also, where are you driving through crowds in Honolulu? Besides Waikiki, the area around Ala Moana and the touristy beaches, Honolulu can hardly be described as crowded. Bizarre.

*Edit* Also, as an Asian-American myself, I can tell you that you'll never be happy with the Asian food or ingredient options in Denver or Aurora. It's quite possibly the worse I've ever encountered in any major US city I've lived in.

Last edited by Deezy303; 11-26-2014 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 02:40 PM

Yeah I guess I mis-wrote my thoughts, what I meant was that Honolulu feels like a larger metro in the sense of stress level. Yes I know the population numbers, its a simple task which I searched a while ago while researching. You win yay!! I'm not here to win e-arguments nor do I give a rip to engage in one, just offering and receiving facts and info, so...........

Its one thing to be a tourist in Honolulu as well as anywhere else and feel like the place is laid back because one has no schedule to adhere to every day. What it feels like as a tourist is ridiculously different that what actually is in daily life. This is basic traveling 101 which I'm not sure if you understand this.

I've traveled to most of the major cities in the states as well as asia and europe, and my profession partly deals with understanding the built environment, traffic, and urban design so I know what I'm taking about. I'm not lost to assumptions and selective observation moments.

I've been driving the entire Denver area for the past week from Arvada, Littleton, down to Centenntial and familiarized myself with downtown before I start. I've been in the traffic on the I-70, 87, and 225 in the afternoons its not that bad, its not great either but getting around in a 12 mile radius thru proper Denver isn't that bad, compared to Honolulu's traffic on and off the freeways, its wayyyy more bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
I'm actually quite familiar with Honolulu. My wife's entire Filipino family are multi-generation locals. I've been going there every other year since we've been together.

Anyways, you stated that Honolulu is a larger metropolitan city than Denver. In no way, shape or form is Honolulu larger than Denver. If you said that Honolulu is more dense with less roads and highways for cars to commute across then you'd be correct.

That being said, you are absolutely correct that Honolulu has worse traffic overall. However, Denver's metro is closer to 3 million to Honolulu's 1 million. Statistics or not, Denver is much larger than Honolulu in population, area and build.

It sounds like you haven't explored Denver much considering what you've written so far. Aurora and Denver are two completely different cities with two entirely different feels. With a little more time, I think you'd be surprised about how bad traffic actually gets in the city.

I'm curious of one thing, you say that you left Honolulu to Denver/Aurora for a more laid back feel. Huh? Honolulu is the epitome of laid back. Every time I come back to Denver from Honolulu I'm instantly stressed out. Denver being a laid back cowtown is a little overblown. I find Denver to be more stressful and fast paced than Honolulu (and that's saying a lot). Also, where are you driving through crowds in Honolulu? Besides Waikiki, the area around Ala Moana and the touristy beaches, Honolulu can hardly be described as crowded. Bizarre.

*Edit* Also, as an Asian-American myself, I can tell you that you'll never be happy with the Asian food or ingredient options in Denver or Aurora. It's quite possibly the worse I've ever encountered in any major US city I've lived in.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,082 times
Default Not moving to Denver might not be an option.

If I get this job offer, not moving to Denver might not be an option pay wise. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and I have dealt with traffic and crime in Miami and DC. If I am blessed with this opportunity, I would like to move to an area that is safe for my daughter and wife and not drive an hour to get to work near DIA. Need to be in a safe area away from gangs/drugs including MJ/etc and be somewhere where there are good schools. Seems like the real estate agent been focusing on Centennial, any other areas that would fit the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You have made some statements that I found just not a correct view of the area. First, you do not need to go to the mountains for recreation. There is more than ample outdoor recreation available in all the parks, trails, water, open space, nature preserves and recreational facilities in the cities, counties, state and federal resources in all around the municipalities and along the foothills.

They are within very close drive; you can walk or drive to many and much is available on public transit. You can easily find yourself on a trail that is surrounded by nature and there will be no one nearby as they are much less crowded. If you always want to go with the crowd--you will find a crowd; take the path less trodden and you will find a piece of the peace of nature.

Since, you do not ski or snowboard then you really do not have a need to fight the traffic on the highway to those places. Resources of are readily available nearby during the winter and while it may be a snowing blizzard up in the mountain, you will find it clear and warmer here on the plains.

You need to take the time and get out of your car; look around and you will see much.

So, you find the drivers here passive. Well, that statement would come from someone aggressive and too much in a hurry--perhaps you need to slow down and show some patience.

I am sorry you are upset by the wages and you do agree that the higher wages go to those who acquired skills and have technical education--you have given yourself the solution to your problem!

Livecontent

Old 11-29-2014, 01:08 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
It's your choice not the REA. You choose where to live, what your community needs are for your family.

MJ is legal for adults in Colorado. Good luck finding a place in a community w/o it.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:31 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
I moved from Honolulu also after my dad died this year. Denver is a broader metropolitan area, however Honolulu is fourth in the country for the number of high rises. Yes, Denver isn't known for its food unfortunately, but compared to what it was say since the 80s, Denver has come a long way.

I live in Montbello, and commute to Highlands Ranch compared to other cities the commute is pretty good. In bad weather, I take the surface streets I don't own a car and commute on a scooter. My only observation is that people while driving don't understand flow. If you're expecting to have Hawaii here in Denver good luck, this isn't Las Vegas, Phoenix, or the West Coast. Most people don't or won't know the difference between Okinawans and Japanese. Your best bet for Hawaii stuff is Pacific Mercantile Market on 19th St.

I've lived in various Western cities since the 80s, no doubt about it the food is getting better and people do the best that they can. I remember the 80s when Asian food tasted like sheetrock. They're a suprising amount of Hawaiians that live in CO, we just don't live in one place were spread out. We work across the city and live everywhere which is good. Live grow and accept this place for what it is an awesome city. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:01 PM

13 posts, read 23,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
If I get this job offer, not moving to Denver might not be an option pay wise. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and I have dealt with traffic and crime in Miami and DC. If I am blessed with this opportunity, I would like to move to an area that is safe for my daughter and wife and not drive an hour to get to work near DIA. Need to be in a safe area away from gangs/drugs including MJ/etc and be somewhere where there are good schools. Seems like the real estate agent been focusing on Centennial, any other areas that would fit the bill?
If you don't want to drive an hour to work, I would not choose Centennial to live if you work at DIA. In normal commuter traffic that will easily approach an hour, let alone any snowy days. Unless your willing to part with a lot of money for the toll road. Why not one of the neighborhoods further north like Reunion?

Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
The problem you have is working near the airport. Most areas near the airport do not compare as favorably as areas farther away. Consequently, your commute could be an hour or more. It all depends where near the airport you are you working. If you are working in the airport, then the public transit with the skyride buses and the coming commuter rail would make your commute much easier.

Some would suggest Stapleton, the redeveloped area on the old airport site. I personally think it is not bad but is is better than other areas that are farther away--I think not.

Centennial is nice area but encompasses is a long suburbs west to east and with different attributes.I think Centennial is not a good idea. It is too far and you can find housing just as good or better closer to the airport.

I would tend to point you to area closer to the airport, either in Westminster or Thornton in Adams County. The airport is surrounded by Adams County but it was acquired from Adams County by the City/County of Denver to have the airport within its boundaries and have the control over the airport.
There are some very nice areas within those cities or areas in unincorporated Adams County. The airport encompasses some much area that near the airport can make many other areas work as well. You could even look at areas near Brighton.

I would also try to stay north of I-70, so You could look at Arvada in Jefferson County. It is really a very nice community that is very safe.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver