Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,004 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I'm looking relocate closer some family in Denver. I live in a skyrise (rent) in downtown DSM IA. I love living downtown, not a partier just the atmosphere. I looked and liked some in LODO and Cali st / 16th mall area. I like one bedroom and some with that extra loft. I seen prices are around starting 1500. I am married with new baby so I don't want roommates. My background is police officer and currently I do investigations and security. While I try get new business clients money will be tight. Just curious to know how everyone survives in Denver. Is it a lot of paycheck to paycheck? You guys working 60 hour a week? Any advice on affordable downtown options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Rental prices all over the metro area are high right now. You might have to change your love of living downtown and find someplace else that's got a smaller downtown-type atmosphere. Especially since you are going to be setting up a new business and don't have much money coming in. $1,500 will get you a lot more in the suburbs than downtown.

There have been threads here discussing the various areas that have a small-town type downtown, such as Arvada, Littleton, Louisville, Golden. Perhaps something like one of those would be a good compromise.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Rental prices all over the metro area are high right now. You might have to change your love of living downtown and find someplace else that's got a smaller downtown-type atmosphere. Especially since you are going to be setting up a new business and don't have much money coming in. $1,500 will get you a lot more in the suburbs than downtown.

There have been threads here discussing the various areas that have a small-town type downtown, such as Arvada, Littleton, Louisville, Golden. Perhaps something like one of those would be a good compromise.
Des Moines is not a small town. Downtown Des Moines is nothing like the downtown areas of Arvada, Littleton, Louisville or Golden. It is more like downtown Colorado Springs.

What the OP needs to do is set a monetary limit for rent and then go from there. A possible compromise might be near the Denver Tech Center: Tall buildings, restaurants, some entertainment. A sort of suburban downtown.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Des Moines is not a small town. Downtown Des Moines is nothing like the downtown areas of Arvada, Littleton, Louisville or Golden. It is more like downtown Colorado Springs.

What the OP needs to do is set a monetary limit for rent and then go from there. A possible compromise might be near the Denver Tech Center: Tall buildings, restaurants, some entertainment. A sort of suburban downtown.
D'oh! I never said that Des Moines was a small town!

Just trying to direct the OP away from his desire to live in downtown Denver, and towards some other places that have a downtown area without him feeling like he's living in cookie cutter suburbia.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 7,272 times
If you like downtown living - Look into the Barclay (privately owned condos) It is on 16th and Larimer, i love it and there are families living here. Quiet building as well with amenities. I have seen one bedrooms go for 1350 and cheapest two bedroom i have seen is 1750 +

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Pay tends to be higher in Denver than in DSM. Cost of living is also higher. People tend to do well out here, and I think you'll like it, because I made the move from Iowa to Colorado. It was by far the best move of my life. Of course, I moved from Iowa City to Colorado Springs, so my cost of living went down significantly. We made up for part of that by improving quality of life, but some of the difference went to savings. (Iowa City COL is much higher than DSM, and Denver COL is higher than CS)

Your family made the right choice in moving to Denver. The weather, the taxes, and the environment are vastly better out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver