Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2006, 12:40 PM

137 posts, read 1,005,549 times

Advertisements

It looks like I would make about $36,000 as a teacher in Denver. Is that enough to live off? We would have two incomes but I want to live somewhere my salary means something, where I can pay my share of expenses. I make more now, but I live in NYC, so I don't know how much of a paycut it would really be. What are rents like on a nice one bedroom? What are good areas of the city? Is car insurance really expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,475,562 times
$800-$1000 average one bedroom rent. Car insurance depends on what your zip code is and whether or not your car has a garage.

My parents were born in NYC, insurance and income taxes nowhere near the same as here.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 PM

385 posts, read 1,576,847 times
Default Zip Codes/Insurance Rates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
$800-$1000 average one bedroom rent. Car insurance depends on what your zip code is and whether or not your car has a garage.

My parents were born in NYC, insurance and income taxes nowhere near the same as here.
Which zip codes that have the lower insurance rates?
Thanks for any information

Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 AM

8,975 posts, read 20,406,035 times
We have been in Colorado (Denver metro) for almost 5 years now. We moved here from Costa Mesa, Calif. for different reasons, but one of them was the cost-of-living. Were not originally from So Calif......wife/Michigan-Me/Indiana, so we knew what living in 4-seasons was like.
We found the cost-of-living cheaper here, but it is gradually going up. Between us, we make close to $75,000 per a year and live comfortably. Nice house in a nice area of Parker, two vehicles, an older fishing/ski boat and a few electronic toys (computer, video and digital camera, etc.). Even though we both work in offices, we take our lunch 99% of the time, go out to dinner only on "special" occasions (birthdays, anniversary, New Years celebration, Valentine's Day) and we have no kids living with us or close to us. Since we are mainly "summer people" (boating/fishing), we don't do much during the winter. All-in-all, we do fine. But, a lot of that has to do with living here, not in So Calif., and of course, not having kids under our roof.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:54 AM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Default Here's the data, published in 2004

Source: U.S. Government, Bureau of Labor Statistics.

100 = National Avg
203 = Stamford/Norwalk, CT
196 = San Francisco, CA
184 = San Jose, CA
174 = Santa Barbara/Lompoc, CA
163 = Boston
161 = NYC, NY
158 = San Diego, CA
153 = Honolulu, HI
141 = Boulder/Longmont, CO
139 = Los Angeles/Long Beach, CA
118 = Denver, CO
116 = Fort Collins/Loveland, CO
106 = Greeley, CO
105 = Springfield, MO (for you, MoMark)
103 = Colorado Springs, CO
099 = Grand Junction, CO
095 = Dallas, TX
092 = Houston, TX
088 = Pueblo, CO
080 = Lubbock, TX
079 = Johnstown, PA and Florence, SC and Jackson, MS and Anniston, AL and Pine Bluff, AR and Cumberland, MD
075 = Abilene, TX
073 = Texarkana, TX/AR

The numbers are for entire Metro Statistical Areas (MSAs), which tend to be rather large areas. Within any MSA the price per Sq Ft for housing will vary notably from one part of an MSA to another. Housing of the same square footage varies notably between Aurora, Parker, Highlands Ranch, Cherry Creek, Littleton, Stapleton, Wheat Ridge, LoDo, etc. Still, MSA numbers give a relative ranking of affordability vis a vis each other. Obviously, living in coastal CA is expensive, while much of the Lone Star State is very inexpensive.

Besides the Cost of Living numbers, there are many other factors to consider, and I urge all persons who are serious about re-locating to get themselves a copy of Bert Sperling's book (Cities Ranked and Rated) at their public library or favorite on-line vendor. At best, this data is appropriate for broad-brushed generalizations, as there are many other factors to consider such as schools, jobs, medical care, access to higher education, recreation opportunites, crime, weather, demographics, culture and art, and other totally personal and subjective considerations. I like looking at the mountains, others like looking at the ocean….to each his own, your mileage may vary. My choice was Colorado Springs.

s/Mike

Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 PM

264 posts, read 1,391,784 times
You can also find Sperlings "Places Rated" on-line. FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver