Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,824,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapast3 View Post
I was wondering the culture in Denver is more like say Chicago where I am from or like west coast where I live now? If the people say pop instead of soda then I like it because that is similar to Chicago.
I think that's a misleading scale. I think you'll find that Denver and most of Colorado has the culture of upper middle class whereas Chicago is more blue collar, as is the case with most of the industrial East.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,114,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I think that's a misleading scale. I think you'll find that Denver and most of Colorado has the culture of upper middle class whereas Chicago is more blue collar, as is the case with most of the industrial East.
I believe Chicago is far more wealthy overall. It is home to the largest commodities trading floor in the U.S. Also, all white-collar jobs there just pay more overall than in Denver. I do believe there is a Rolls Royce dealer right in the Gold Coast.

It is hard to differentiate American cities by 'geographic feel' these days. Denver is just like Chicago or L.A. in that it is a cosmopolitan city with high end stores and restaurants, tech and finance jobs, and a liberal voting class. But rural Colorado is very much like southern Illinois or the San Joaquin Valley: farm and ranching, pickup trucks, and a conservative voting class. It really doesn't matter which metro area you live in anymore, it matters which part of it (urban, suburban, or rural).

Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I believe Chicago is far more wealthy overall.
Metro Denver has a population of <3M. Metro Chicago's population is ~9.5M. Unless it were a city in Somalia, it must be more wealthy. I'm referring to the cultures, not the economies.

Quote:
It is hard to differentiate American cities by 'geographic feel' these days. Denver is just like Chicago or L.A. ...
I think this illustrates the point that I'm making. This is an answer suitable to Denver or more politically adept people, but it's not acceptable to blue collar people, who deal in specifics.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 09-24-2012 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Oh, for God's sake! How ironic I was just talking to my DH about "intellectual snobbery". Have you ever been to Chicago? There are many wealthy suburbs there. Not everyone is a steelworker. In fact, hardly anyone is making steel any more.

Spoken as a former Illinois resident.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-24-2012 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,325,096 times
Denver is more like the Midwest. But if you're going to compare it to California, it has more in common culturally with northern California than southern California.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,131,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapast3 View Post
I was wondering the culture in Denver is more like say Chicago where I am from or like west coast where I live now? If the people say pop instead of soda then I like it because that is similar to Chicago.

According to this map, Denver is solidly in "pop" country.

Denver is a mix of many cultures, because it is in a transition zone for at least three different regions. Some people consider Denver to be western, midwestern, and even southwestern, but it is definitely not "West Coast" like Southern California. As a part of the transition zones, Denver tends to exhibit characteristics of all three different regions. Even those of us who live here cannot agree where Denver belongs.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Have you ever been to Chicago? There are many wealthy suburbs there. Not everyone is a steelworker. In fact, hardly anyone is making steel any more.
I have. I think you're also illustrating my point. Without regard to the fact that my previous post addresses your issue, I experience the culture here as averse to opinions, and I believe that that's an effect of the upper middle class (or higher).

To be politically successful, one must refrain from revealing personal opinions in favor of building coalitions. (Of course, one can also repeat the opinions of others.) I believe that the reason you are suffering to challenge my opinion is because you're not accustomed to experiencing different opinions, and I believe that that's because much of a person's Colorado experience is that of being subtly recruited into coalitions.

However, in a blue collar environment, people typically live according to convictions. They're less reticent to share opinions and more likely to choose friends based on mutual moral convictions rather than personal gain.

My hypothesis is that the majorities of the cultures affect the minorities, and that's how an otherwise upper middle/upper person might behave with some lower middle class values and a lower middle class person might behave with upper values.

If you wish to truly understand my perception of Colorado, read The Fountainhead.

Regarding your edit, if you're attempting to establish yourself as an authority on the matter, you may be an exception to the rule. There are many, many miserable people everywhere.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 PM

89 posts, read 149,710 times
I lived in Denver for a while, but no more. I liked it, I didn't love it.

Disclaimer: IMO people tend to exaggerate the cultural differences of major American cities in almost every thread on this forum that I have read. It's as if people are wishful that there was more nuance to their home cities cultural landscape than there is. How much money you have and how you choose to spend it will determine who you meet and the vibe you get- just like everywhere in the States. In general, more money= more smiley faces. People will be happier and friendlier in line at Whole Foods than at Safeway.

What is Denver like? If handicapped to one word, i'd choose corporate; again, just like nearly every other major city across the United States. I speak with no anger or resentment or class warfare angst. Iit's just how it is in major, developed American cities short a select few on the West Coast. It may be obvious but as the most overwhelming characteristic it's still worth noting.

If you have a middle class job and a normal middle class social circle the majority of the people you meet will likely not be CO natives. They will be from everywhere.

Really parcing and digging, I think it's more SOCAL than Midwest. It's slightly more relaxed ("no worries" seems to be the quintessential conversation-ending expression.) It's an educated city but not sort of striving and obnoxious (very little Bostonian-esque "I don't really understand this impressive word but I'm going to use it while in line at Starbucks anyway" posturing here). It's not aggressive like Chicago. It's not reserved to mediocrity like [we won't be too mean-spirited, but fill in your own Midwestern blanks here]. IMO there is a palpable vibe of positivism and a real lack of social cynicism that I found admirable and, forgive me, real. People seem more desperate for a sense of community in Denver than in most other cities.

A lot of people seem genuinely happy in Denver, more so than anywhere in the Midwest that I have seen.

I think Denver is far superior to any Midwestern city.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,754,064 times
Quote:
Maybe you do not realize it, but the last time I checked the median household income is actually pretty close to the exact same between the 2 cities, although there is slightly higher average income in Chicago while the cost of living is actually about the same in Chicago, meaning that regardless of what color everybody's collar is, they seem to make as much on average in chicago and are able to afford more in Chicago for their money.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Maybe you do not realize it, but the last time I checked the median household income is actually pretty close to the exact same between the 2 cities, although there is slightly higher average income in Chicago while the cost of living is actually about the same in Chicago, meaning that regardless of what color everybody's collar is, they seem to make as much on average in chicago and are able to afford more in Chicago for their money.
If you have a better way of describing what I have noted, I'm happy to consider your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver