Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 AM

22 posts, read 82,619 times

Advertisements

We are working with a Realtor now to help make the move from the Springs up to Denver. I have had my heart set on Arvada for some time, but our Realtor is talking about Wheat Ridge and Westminster too. My husband works downtown near Union Station and I feel the commute would be comparable. My biggest concerns are around safety. We have a young family and I want to live in a safe, family friendly neighborhood.
we are looking to spend around 220k for a 3 bedroom house.

House is important but location, town character, parks, and safety are all high on my list of priorities. I like Arvada b/c it has an established downtown area, lots of parks, and the crime stats are significantly low for the proximity to Denver. Westminster kind of seems too suburban for me but I am not very familiar with the town. I want to avoid moving somewhere like the Springs. I guess I want to know if I should stick to Arvada or if looking at these other communities I will find something similar. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Listen to your agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by comomma17 View Post
our Realtor is talking about Wheat Ridge and Westminster too...I like Arvada b/c it has an established downtown area...
Let me start with two bits about myself.
1. I live in the northwest corner of Denver in the Berkeley neighborhood.
2. I, personally, would never live in those other cities as I am a Denver snob.

Having said that, I have come to appreciate parts of Wheat Ridge and Arvada. A lot.
They have parks and Wheat Ridge is working hard on building some character.
They both have houses in your price range.
I even found a great neighborhood (The Glens) in Lakewood recently.

Get on Zillow and start searching.
Find some places that meet your criteria (price, park, schools).
Then drive to those neighborhoods and get out of your car and walk every block in the neighborhood.
Takes notes about what you like and don't like.

You are about to make a 5-7 year commitment. Spend some time doing your homework.

Last edited by davebarnes; 06-23-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks Dave!

We've done that with Arvada I just wanted to make sure it was worth spending the time doing that with Wheat Ridge too. I guess I know what we will be doing next weekend.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM

103 posts, read 291,910 times
Hi Comomma,
I personally really like Wheat Ridge, too. Some of the nicer parts are in the Applewood area of Wheat Ridge, but there is also some good value as you get closer to Highland. Just like any neighborhood, there are good areas and not so good areas. And as davebarnes suggested, walking the area you are interested in helps. WR is trying to redevelop their community and they do have some long term goals with Wheat Ridge 20 20. There are homes in your price range. Close to highway for easy commute to downtown and the mountains and good schools.

I can understand the perception of Wheat Ridge that some may have. I had that same perception for awhile until I lived there (some parts are more renter oriented, however, I think this is starting to change with the development in nearby Highland). The big lots and close proximity to everything my family likes to do changed my mind. We are looking to move back to the area.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Default A big lot, you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitylove View Post
The big lots...are looking to move back to the area.
Here you go.5801 W 38th Ave, Wheat Ridge, CO 80212 MLS# 1075933 - Zillow
Big Lot.
Don't let the address confuse you. Look at it on a map.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I have written much on this forum about Arvada and I think you are very aware of the good characteristics of that town. I am very familiar with Wheat Ridge and there are so many nice neighborhoods that have been mentioned, especially the area of Applewood where Lakewood, Wheat Ridge and Golden come together. Lakewood also offers excellent places to choice to live. and these towns offer good and quick public transportation to Downtown. Also, driving to downtown from these western suburban cities is easy to downtown, as you have the many options of driving through the many roads of North Denver.

Westminster is a much different type of town than the Western Suburbs. This sprawling city is not as dense as the other cities and sprawls further out from an old area of the southwest to much newer development in the north. Consequently, it does offer some good areas of public transit to downtown from the older areas but not very good from the newer areas to the north. The city does offer excellent amenities to its citizens with good parks and extensive open space with aggressive development of shopping and business centers. The city does have a old town area that is not so noticed by newcomers at about 72nd and Federal where the city actually began. It has a very strong Hispanic and growing Asian presence with a nice assortment of shops of ethnic shopping. However, the characteristics has not the same quiet and safe assurance of olde town Arvada and Wheat Ridge. The area has some very challenged areas in and about this old area.

Westminster will not offer you any choices that are better than Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood. The biggest choice difference is that it can offer a more extensive choice of newer homes and perhaps less costly homes in the far out developments in the North Area of the City but then you will loose the advantages of the good public transit. There area areas near the Northern Boundaries of Arvada (Lake Arbor), along Wadsworth and north of 88th that have nice stable neighborhood, near Standley Lake, good shopping and excellent access to public transit to Downtown from the Westminster Park-n-Ride. Also, the area near the Church Ranch Exit of I-36 is highly regarded with the good shopping and near the large city park and main recreational centers with the access of the public transit on I-36 and the Park-n-Ride.

Arvada Wheat Ridge and Lakewood offer advantages of being close to the foothills and as such have the advantage of more rolling topography and more heavily treed with more water resources than the other suburbs. Westminster is of the characteristics of the Plains and the newer areas of drive dependent sprawl but very nice developments with extensive shopping.

The parks, open space, trails and recreational facilities are extensive in the Western Suburbs and the schools are some of the best in Jefferson County. They are also much closer to Downtown Denver which is not centered between the suburbs and you will have the advantage of the patina of alluring age of neighborhoods and buildings because the early settlers migrating first toward the Mountains from Denver. In addition you will be on the edge of the fast redeveloping and highly sought neighborhoods of North Denver which can offer wonderful and exciting amenities of city living.

My opinion is that if you find what you desire in Arvada then stay with that choice and if the realtor does not know the area well, then find another. For there are many hidden areas in the Western Suburbs that are difficult the write about but can only be seen to be believed so you will have a wide choice of many good neighborhoods.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-23-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That is one ugly house.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Westminster is a much different type of town than the Western Suburbs. This sprawling city is not as dense as the other cities and sprawls further out from an old area of the southwest to much newer development in the north. Consequently, it does offer some good areas of public transit to downtown from the older areas but not very good from the newer areas to the north. However, the characteristics has not the same quiet and safe assurance of olde town Arvada and Wheat Ridge. The area has some very challenged areas in and about this old area.
Livecontent
Thank you for your insight. It is actually because of you that I looked twice at Arvada. After we drove around and did some research we really did like the area even more. We would much rather be closer to downtown than in any area that resembles the plains. We are moving away from the Springs to get a new environment not something similar. We did drive around the Standley Lake area and liked it. I am thinking that sticking southwest of 36 and west of 25 will be the best areas for us. Your input is very much appreciated.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Default You are not buying the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
That is one ugly house.
The house does not matter. You are buying 2.5 acres zoned R3. You can build at least 6 and maybe 20 units on the land.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM

103 posts, read 291,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Here you go.5801 W 38th Ave, Wheat Ridge, CO 80212 MLS# 1075933 - Zillow
Big Lot.
Don't let the address confuse you. Look at it on a map.
I think I'd have to become a carnation farmer if I bought that house to take advantage of all the greenhouses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver