Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,098 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a house to split the distance between my work, my husband's work and our child care provider (family). I have lived in Denver my whole life but am completely unfamiliar with any of the cities that we are now considering. Here is the scenario...any advice is greatly appreciated.

Work #1 - NE Boulder
Work #2 - ~ Iliff & Havana
Childcare - Washington Park

I think I have narrowed it down to Arvada, Broomfield or Westminister but I now need specifics on neighborhoods. We have small children so schools will be important and the budget is about $450,000.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
I don't wish to rain on your parade here, but this is a terrible idea. You never want be be more than an hour from rescuing a sick or hurt child.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your concern but I don't really have a lot of options with my husband and I working so far from each other. He will only be 20 minutes away and our childcare provider is family.
Thanks again but that is really not the kind of feedback I am looking for.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Ugh, man. That's a tough spot to have to figure out, miserable commute for both of you. I live in a neighborhood on the Broomfield/Westminster border (Bradburn Village 120th ave between Federal and Sheridan). Commute times from here to where you need to go: Wash Park--45 min, Illif and Havana--1 hour, North Boulder--30-35 minutes. I would suggest the Highlands as a compromise but their schools frankly are not so hot and the north Boulder commute would suck. The person working at Illif isn't an hour from Wash Park, so I guess having home base up north could still work. Other than price range and good schools, what else are you looking for in a neighborhood?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I don't wish to rain on your parade here, but this is a terrible idea. You never want be be more than an hour from rescuing a sick or hurt child.
This. I agree, bad idea, just for safety reasons alone. Additionally, having done it for 3 years -- with babies through preschool-aged -- childcare should be in close proximity to home unless you enjoy an amazing deal with on-site work-provided childcare. Small children should not have to be strapped in for a long car ride after a long day when there's no accounting for traffic or weather. Throw in hunger and general irritability for all and it makes for an unpleasant way to end (or start) your day.

And having commuted from Broomfield to Aurora every weekday for 4 years, it was pretty miserable -- and I kept a positive perspective... and my kids ended up in childcare within walking distance of my home, which was the sliver lining... but the scenario you describe: long commutes, childcare location that is close to neither home nor mom or dad's job, sounds nightmarish.

Since it's family, maybe they can come to you?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM

So I appreciate everyone's concern but I cannot have my childcare come to me and it is free so I am not interested in changing that. I am open to suggestions but I "it's a bad idea" isn't very helpful.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
OK. It's a very bad idea. And therefore you should reconsider.

Seeking advice isn't an "only what I want to hear proposition."

There are no good options for you on this topic.

Your choices should be find another job (job 2) between daycare and job 1, and then find a home near that.

Your quality of life will suffer or could improve dramatically because of these major life choices.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 PM

20 posts, read 37,868 times
seriously people, seeking advice on what you're seeking advice for actually is a "what you want to hear" proposition in that what she wanted to hear was asked very clearly and that is NOT what you answered! You gave you own opinion on something off topic, and did so again specifically after she said "butt out of her mothering practices". That is not what these forums are for, go preach somewhere else.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Arvada or Westminster in JeffCo.

The commutes will suck (the Boulder one I don't think will be that bad, I actually like that drive), but those are probably your best options given the situation.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 PM

345 posts, read 914,214 times
It is a relative watchng the kids so even if they get sick they are covered till one of them gets there. It is worth it to me to have family watch my kids over strangers and it is free so double bonus

Northern Arvada or Southern Westminster so you are closer to 76 and 36. In some parts of Arvada they have really large lots so your kids cna have a great yard to play in.
On realtor.com they have info tabs and it gives you parent ratings of schools and distance from the house.
You can also check the schools report card online, but that mainly focuses on the CSAP scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver