Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pros cons of older versus newer areas of Denver, Aurora areas; looking for housing information, lot sizes, home maintenance, established versus new neighborhoods

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:12 AM

346 posts, read 1,566,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
We've lived in HR for 4 years now and don't find it competitive and clique-ish. It is a middle to upper class area, so some may call that "yuppie-like".

Personally, I'm not about to try to keep up with the Joneses. Until last year I was driving around in a '92 Integra with oxidized paint and missing some trim. We still have it (parked right in front of our house for all to see). Daughter's driving that now. I'm driving an '07 Pilot now, since I wanted something better in the snow. I could have bought an Acura MDX, but why? It's more money, takes premium gas and is less roomy. Wife's been driving her '00 minivan with one hub cap missing. None of our neighbors has complained. I think they could care less.

Can you find neighborhoods in HR where people are trying to out do each other? Probably so. You can also find that in Lone Tree, Parker, Castle Rock, Littleton, Centennial, and yada yada yada. That's why you should always try to get a feel for a neighborhood before you move there.

Personally, I'd say hop in your Windstar and come check out the area for yourself.
Your comments are refreshing--thanks! I know I'm basing some of my ideas on opinions within this forum (yuppie-ness, competitiveness, etc.), which is not a good idea. I agree that I need to experience some of these places for myself. I still haven't seen many of the southern suburbs, although my husband did, and he came back with a journal of info. I hope to visit this fall so I can see some of these areas for myself. My last trip was more of a vacation--with the kids, visiting relatives, taking mountain trips, etc. This next trip will be a fact-finding mission. Besides just driving through neighborhoods and perhaps visiting schools and their office staff, what do you recommend as other ways to get a feel for a particular neighborhood while visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 09:48 AM

616 posts, read 3,005,773 times
I think the best time to check out a neighborhood is on the weekends. That's when more kids are out playing, parents are out watching the younger ones or doing yard work. You also get lots of garage sales on Fridays and Saturdays (in spring and summer, that is). Stop by and talk to the people in that neighborhood. The only bad time to catch people on the weekend is when the Broncos are playing.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I second that advice! Take note, whenever you drive through a neighborhood, of evidence of kids, such as toys in the yards/driveways, basketball hoops above garages, etc. Look for parks nearby, rec centers, library, whatever is important to you. Talking with school staff will give you some good information, though no one will "diss" their school, especially inside the building. Keep in mind that no one school is "best".

Old 09-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Believe me, as a teacher, I'm not looking for the "best" school, particularly if "best" only refers to test scores. I've offered my opinion of what's important to me in a school on this forum before--and it basically involves developing the whole child.

I agree that the school's office staff will not "diss" the school, especially while on campus--but I still think I can get a general feel, depending on overall friendliness. I happen to work at a school right now with one of harshest, most rude school secretaries ever. Not a good impression upon first entering the school!

On the other side of the coin, I usually can smell a phony a mile away too--all smiles and oh-so-wonderful things to say.

Didn't mean to get going on a whole other topic here.

Thank you for your suggestions about getting a feel for the neighborhoods.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my comments about schools. I've dealt with schools of all levels for many years and I found most of them and their staffs to be great. You can get a feeling for the tone of a school from talking to people, but as your own experiece with a rude secreatary shows, sometimes you get a bad first impression which isn't necessarily accurate re: the whole school.

There are so many people on this forum who talk about school test scores, I thought I'd throw that caveat in. I didn't realize you are a teacher (or didn't remember) who already knows that.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my comments about schools. I've dealt with schools of all levels for many years and I found most of them and their staffs to be great. You can get a feeling for the tone of a school from talking to people, but as your own experiece with a rude secreatary shows, sometimes you get a bad first impression which isn't necessarily accurate re: the whole school.

There are so many people on this forum who talk about school test scores, I thought I'd throw that caveat in. I didn't realize you are a teacher (or didn't remember) who already knows that.
You didn't ruffle my feathers at all. They get ruffled on their own when it comes to testing! While I think it is important to some degree, I don't think it should be the end-all. Kids nowadays (or at least what I'm experiencing in my district) have very little down-time. The state standards are very high and homework takes up much of the time that used to be for playing when I was a kid.

And as far as rude office staff, it's true that doesn't reflect the entire school. However a good secretary generally keeps the flow of the school moving smoothly.

Don't worry about forgetting that I'm a teacher. I'm actually doing a job-share, after having been home with my kids for a few years. Prior to that, I taught for 14 years at K, 1st, and 2nd grade levels.

By the way, I tried to give you a rep. point after your run-in with someone here. But I have to spread the rep points around before giving to you again.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:12 AM

I get kinda "het-up" over the testing myself, and especailly the ranking of schools re: test scores. I am not a teacher, but I've been very involved with schools with my League of Women Voters group (disclaimer: I am not now speaking for them), and I understand that school test scores simply reflect the SES of the parents for the most part.

Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver