Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 63,288 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in the Denver area for $60,000. I am a stay-at-home mom. He is really interested in this job but I think the salary level is a bit low for a family of 5 to live comfortably in that area?

We are a VERY frugal family and living in rural PA has somewhat spoiled me as to living costs. I'm not afraid of frugal living...but the housing costs compared to this area...OUCH!

I couldn't find anything online in a decent family area (3 bedrooms) for less than $1,800 to rent. That's a single family place. Is that about right? That would be about two paychecks worth just for housing....I really don't want to move into a new area and be at a sustenance level, even if the job is challenging and rewarding.

We live on a small farm, surrounded by open space and truthfully I think city living is not what I'm aiming for in life, but if I have to live there I don't think I'd be very happy squished up in a apt. building somewhere (and if your happy in an apt. building, I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me).

Just looking for advice.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecrafter View Post
My husband has a job offer in the Denver area for $60,000. I am a stay-at-home mom. He is really interested in this job but I think the salary level is a bit low for a family of 5 to live comfortably in that area?

We are a VERY frugal family and living in rural PA has somewhat spoiled me as to living costs. I'm not afraid of frugal living...but the housing costs compared to this area...OUCH!

I couldn't find anything online in a decent family area (3 bedrooms) for less than $1,800 to rent. That's a single family place. Is that about right? That would be about two paychecks worth just for housing....I really don't want to move into a new area and be at a sustenance level, even if the job is challenging and rewarding.

We live on a small farm, surrounded by open space and truthfully I think city living is not what I'm aiming for in life, but if I have to live there I don't think I'd be very happy squished up in a apt. building somewhere (and if your happy in an apt. building, I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me).

Just looking for advice.......
I'm focusing in on your last paragraph and thinking this is not a good move for you. At 60k on single income, most of your options are going to be in North Denver-Metro or Lakewood. They aren't great areas but they aren't the ghetto parts of Aurora either. It sounds like you are enjoying small farm life and not looking forward to busy streets. You'd be right in the middle of that and in not spectacular neighborhoods. For a family of 5, you won't have much spending money either as housing and gas will eat a lot of your budget.

Personally, you could try to get something in Pennsylvania that pays better. What type of work does your DH do?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,725,336 times
I cannot imagine a family of 5 making only $60K. I guess it can be done, but not wiht the kind of living you are used to, as Flying mentioned. You'd be in a tiny apt. is my guess. Have you been out here to take a look? That would probably really do you justice, just see it in person, where you'd be living I mean.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:53 PM

245 posts, read 709,131 times
So everyone, just out of curiosity: What level of income in Denver would you consider as "living comfortably" for a family of 5 ? And by that, I do mean living mostly frugally but having a little "extra" to spend on other things as well.

Last edited by AceShopper; 03-25-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 63,288 times
Actually Ace, that is what I'm trying to figure out?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM

245 posts, read 709,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecrafter View Post
Actually Ace, that is what I'm trying to figure out?
Sorry - I meant to ask C-Ders living in Denver. I am actually in a similar situation so any replies here would be helpful to me as well.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM

That's a hard question for me to answer. I don't have kids, which is why I said the word "imagine". I also don't want to divulge my current income, so....

There was a time when both me and my husband each made $35K per year net. We rented an apt. that was $700 per month, and paid for one parking space at $35 per month. We had one economy car. We ate out often, but not high end restaurants. Usually bills around $20 per dining session. We often saw movies, attended events. We both worked full-time and didn't really contribute to retirement but we did pay our share of the health insurance, our employers paid most of it. I think it was around $100 per month (now it's $200 per month for the both of us). We took vacations once per year to Mexico or Caribbean.

That's why I said I couldn't imagine living here with a family of 5 and an income of $60K. My husband knows someone who clears about that but he has a family of 3. And he lives very frugally and is really tight with spending. No eating out and no outside excursions, most definitely not a vacation.

Hope this helps - at least one person's perception! Hopefully others will chime in. Actually, I know they will!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:55 PM

11,833 posts, read 34,460,220 times
I know a single mom with 3 kids living on $44,000. 3 bedroom house in Englewood $985 a month.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM

2b: That seems like poverty level. Am I just uppity? I mean, that's $3666 per month and then all the bills and rent - is that net or gross? And I guess we should talk kids ages, because isn't it different if they are little or teens? Everyone: How much do kids cost these days? Granted, I don't have kids. Like I said, I can only "imagine" what it would cost. Just seems pricey. Maybe it's really just a trade off. We do whatever we want, whenever, for the most part. But if we were parents we'd have to stop and spend that money on a kid. ?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 AM

138 posts, read 600,537 times
You can totally do it. I think there are PLENTY of families making it on that much...or less. As long as you can budget and are used to shopping sales and living frugally. Rent could be more like $1400/month. For example: Great Home/Good Schools/Quiet Neighborhood (http://denver.craigslist.org/apa/2269656933.html - broken link)
You won't have 'land' but you'll have a community that your kids can make friends in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver