Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM

72 posts, read 182,397 times

Advertisements

If 60K is the starting wage at the time of the move, the future can only get better??? This is the tough question all of us deal with that want to move from where we are. I personally am where i don't want to be, but my job is a good one and takes care of my family, So here i stay. We have lot's of family in the Denver area, but the job market and salary range has me providing better for my family here in Ca. If I had an opportunity that got my foot in the door, and was still able to afford the basics, i would move. But thats me, i have been tired of the California experience for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 04:16 PM

50 posts, read 202,331 times
I moved the family up to Denver when I got hired on a 45K salary in 2008 and it didn't go anywhere near as far as I had been expecting. I'm native to Denver and moved abroad in 2005 where I met my wife and settled down, but couldn't wait to get back home and start a family there. It was just us and our 2 y/o son at the time.

After about a year I actually abandoned the job and dream of living in Denver because the money just wasn't going far at all. We were in a decent enough apartment, but that's not what I had in mind at all when we moved. I'll add though that I wasn't loving the job, so that played a part. We're currently in Mexico and we have it pretty good here actually, but I'm trying to figure out what all we need to save up and buy in Metro Denver and the outlook is rough, even with the market the way it is.

Could be that I just have high standards or champagne taste (don't think so though.. I'm in Mexico, remember ), but with 5 little ones to feed on 60K would be a real stretch in Denver at least for me. Like others have said, you could certainly do it, but you would be looking at a big change in lifestyle. I suppose that if you have some capital going into the deal, it would make a really big difference, because we were trying to start from 0 and it just wasn't happening for us in Denver.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,359,844 times
Were I in your shoes, children & school would be the strongest point. But, what sticks with me most is you say you wouldn't like city life. Unless you came to Denver in the summer, when the kids were on vacation so there'd be no need to have them changing schools & had several wks to look around & find a suburb far enough out of the city for you to be happy, I'm wondering why you'd consider such a move.

It sounds as if the only thing prompting your move is your husband's job & perhaps better pay than in rural PA? With a higher COL, you won't be reaping major benefits on his pay bumb it seems. If you like where you are on your farm, your kids are settled in school with friends & activities, you're happy being a stay at home mom, why move? The worst is you won't make it financially so have to get a job yourself & pay extra costs for daycare, hate where you are & want to return to PA. Will he be able to return to his PA job after moving?

All things to consider before moving. It seems as if you already live where you want to be. Maybe having your husband find something near the PA farm is what would be in your whole family's best interests? In any event, surely visit Denver first. I'd never uproot children's lives without trying to make it as smooth & secure as possible.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 63,290 times
We decided to turn down the job. Two of my children are teens and I just can't see us being happy living in the city area on that income. Denver sounds like a nice city, as far as cities go, but I don't think I could live without a garden and decent sized yard, and that's very likely not to happen on that salary range. I forgot to mention that we home-educate, but a good area would still be important to us.

You have all been very helpful. Appreciate the honest responses.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,982,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
I cannot imagine a family of 5 making only $60K.
Doing it on about that and we aren't dodging bullets and aren't eating top ramen unless we want to.

There are tons of families in metro Denver doing it on far less than $60K.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,729,371 times
I shouldn't have posted here. I don't have kids and make a considerable salary. Like I said, I can't imagine. I know there are tons of families doing it, I guess my point was -- is it comfortable for them?? I had doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Doing it on about that and we aren't dodging bullets and aren't eating top ramen unless we want to.

There are tons of families in metro Denver doing it on far less than $60K.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I shouldn't have posted here. I don't have kids and make a considerable salary. Like I said, I can't imagine. I know there are tons of families doing it, I guess my point was -- is it comfortable for them?? I had doubts.
Well,

Exhibit A (my family, late 20's, 3 kids (10, 6, 1 month)):

-we always have money left over at the end of our bills (which are always paid on time), we'll have even more money left at the end of our bills once ~$800/mo in car payments are done (slowly getting there).

-we live in an apartment in a good area with slightly below average schools, in a convenient location in regards to the entire metro (very good idea considering the nature of our jobs), and our rent is very reasonable (though we'd like more space, we are managing....it's a sacrifice we are making to have more money to do things {Rockies/Nuggets games, mini-vacations, dinners out as a family, etc})

-we are never hurting for groceries or spending freedom (drive-thrus, impulsive shopping trips)

-we always have wearable clothing

-we don't run up credit cards

Exhibit B (early 40's, 3 kids (17, 13, 12), same salary:

-has to make deals with their landlord, credit card companies, and other debtors in order to stay afloat.

-has three car payments, one of the cars has been non-op for about two years.

-lives in a nice big house in a part of the metro area with the most "SAFETY" and "THE BEST SCHOOLS", and pays about double the amount in rent we do

-has to use a credit card for gas, or has to ask their boss to buy them gas

-has had to have their cable shut off, in lieu of one of their kids having some sort of "lessons"

-occasionally accepts food baskets from church

I guess it just depends on what you can squeeze out of your salary.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Good lord, who is Ex. B??

We aren't anywhere close to that, sounds miserable. I don't feel like putting my personal life out there, so I'll keep my life (Ex. C) quiet.

Like I said....shouldn't have posted. We don't live anything like you or Ex. B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well,

Exhibit A (my family, late 20's, 3 kids (10, 6, 1 month)):

-we always have money left over at the end of our bills (which are always paid on time), we'll have even more money left at the end of our bills once ~$800/mo in car payments are done (slowly getting there).

-we live in an apartment in a good area with slightly below average schools, in a convenient location in regards to the entire metro (very good idea considering the nature of our jobs), and our rent is very reasonable (though we'd like more space, we are managing....it's a sacrifice we are making to have more money to do things {Rockies/Nuggets games, mini-vacations, dinners out as a family, etc})

-we are never hurting for groceries or spending freedom (drive-thrus, impulsive shopping trips)

-we always have wearable clothing

-we don't run up credit cards

Exhibit B (early 40's, 3 kids (17, 13, 12), same salary:

-has to make deals with their landlord, credit card companies, and other debtors in order to stay afloat.

-has three car payments, one of the cars has been non-op for about two years.

-lives in a nice big house in a part of the metro area with the most "SAFETY" and "THE BEST SCHOOLS", and pays about double the amount in rent we do

-has to use a credit card for gas, or has to ask their boss to buy them gas

-has had to have their cable shut off, in lieu of one of their kids having some sort of "lessons"

-occasionally accepts food baskets from church

I guess it just depends on what you can squeeze out of your salary.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Good lord, who is Ex. B??
Some friends of ours.

Don't say that you shouldn't have posted, everyone's perspective counts.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM

Geez, asking your boss for gas. Get a freaking bus pass I say. Works for me and countless others.

I really think I don't belong on this thread. At first I thought oh wow, that's hardly any money to live. Then I realized I live a different lifestyle, one that is not really the norm these days. DINK's are what we are. But thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver