Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:22 AM

5 posts, read 15,379 times

Advertisements

We are considering a possible relo from DC and Stapleton seems like the ideal neighborhood for us. We have 2 small kids, currently live in another massive planned community which we love, and love the fact that Stapleton has close-by shopping, a new rec center being built, and plenty of family activities. So for those who live there, what are the downsides to the area? Also, is it easy to get some great cycling routes- we are pretty serious cyclists (and love triathlons) so this would be important for us. It appears to be, but I can't be sure without spending some time there first. Is Verizon FIOS available?

Few other facts: Housing pricing is roughly 20-30% cheaper than where I live so that will not likely be a concern for us. DC has some of the worst traffic so our commutes will likely be slightly better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM

11,833 posts, read 34,454,569 times
I was born in DC, stayed 22 years. I have been here for 21. Cycling can be found all along the front range.

Where is work? Just forget a long commute. We have more snowstorms than in DC, but it does not stay for long.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:13 PM

84 posts, read 337,791 times
Crime, location. The crime isn't too bad but because it's surrounded on 3 sides by neighborhoods that range from sketchy to "hood", the crime occasionally ventures in. But of course, if you've lived in DC, I'm pretty sure you know all about that haha. Stapleton is a good area and I'd recommend it. Have you considered any other areas? What are you looking for in a neighborhood?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:50 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,665 times
Stapleton residents battle rising groundwater - KDVR (http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-stapleton-groundwater-txt,0,1386969.story - broken link)

Old 07-31-2010, 08:35 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,243,701 times
I've lived in Stapleton for 5 years, and by far it's the best place I've ever lived. Only down side for me is that they haven't built the town center on the east end, but it'll come eventually. I know many serious bikers and triathletes, so I assume it's fine for that. Lots of parks, trails for walking and running that I uses.

The high water table is a negative, but we have no issues with it. It's very hit or miss, so if you buy here, just have it checked out before making an offer on a house. One house can have the sump pump running all the time, and the houses on either side don't. I think they said 60 some houses were identified with the problem out of thousands.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 PM

3 posts, read 12,002 times
Just spent a few days staying at a family members Stapleton home. Lots to like: varied architecture, coffee, bagels, beer, food, groceries all walkable. Understand light rail is coming which is very appealing. Have heard good things about schools. Anyone know average class size numbers? Also like that MLS stadium is 4 miles away. Didn't love the grocery store (Kings Sooper) .Hard to believe Denver has no Trader Joes or something similar near Stapleton.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 AM

45 posts, read 96,827 times
People who live there seem to love it but I personally don't love the location and surroundng areas. Just my opinion. I prefer Castle Rock, LoneTree and Centennial, Ken Caryl.

Sue

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingatdenver View Post
Just spent a few days staying at a family members Stapleton home. Lots to like: varied architecture, coffee, bagels, beer, food, groceries all walkable. Understand light rail is coming which is very appealing. Have heard good things about schools. Anyone know average class size numbers? Also like that MLS stadium is 4 miles away. Didn't love the grocery store (Kings Sooper) .Hard to believe Denver has no Trader Joes or something similar near Stapleton.
They're supposed to build another grocery store in the Eastbridge town center, whenever that gets built. And I've heard a rumor about Trader Joe's... according to a manager at a store in the Cherry Creek mall, Trader Joe's will finalize a deal to build one in the Cherry Creek North shopping area in November, break ground in early 2011. That's strictly a rumor though, and I don't know how credible it could be.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjde View Post
People who live there seem to love it but I personally don't love the location and surroundng areas. Just my opinion. I prefer Castle Rock, LoneTree and Centennial, Ken Caryl.

Sue
Well, it suppose it depends on whether you prefer a more urban setting or not. I love the location because I'm within 15 min. of everything urban Denver has to offer. I wouldn't like being so far out away from the city in the 'burbs.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,491,078 times
We love urban settings but did not like the surrounding areas, at least from our cursory scouting trip. We are very familiar with the fluidity of urban neighborhood boundaries and we know from experience that in a nice area next to a bad area, the bad (usually in the form of property crime) will always bleed in a little bit... especially at the interfaces of the neighborhood. Stapleton is an island of brand-new housing in the middle of a very run-down area. Loved the housing styles, trails, and pocket parks, did not like what you had to drive through to get there. I think the location is really the achilles heel of the area, especially for squirrely parents like me :-) We also didn't feel it was all that convenient, when you could live in an older,smaller house in a better area like DU and still be basically 15-20 minutes away.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-01-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver