Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,574,921 times

Advertisements

I have read this board some and don't find people talking about doing anything in nearby Philly. I'm guessing it takes like 30 minutes or so to take a train/bus/drive into the city of Philly from Wilmington, so are the folks visiting Philly to go to restaurants/classical events/whatever much? It seems such a natural to me; however, in all honesty, the locals in DC didn't seem to visit the museums there all that much when I lived there....much like my cousin living 30 minutes from Nashville has never been there! Go figure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,991,481 times
I've never warmed to Philly and I also find the crime there very off-putting. I much prefer to get my city fix in NYC and Toronto, both an hour and a half away by rail and air, respectively (I'm in TO as I write this). A lot of younger people go to Philly for night life, but I don't like driving at night on interstates and it makes any intake of alcohol a problem. Philly is too close in a sense for us to enjoy. My partner and I go to church there and that's about it. We saw the King Tut exhibition there. I would have gone for Frida Kahlo, but we'd already been to that exhibition in London. Point is, there's very little that would get us over there. There's a lot of nice street life in the summer, but I just can't get into going over to Philly.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 AM

I'm picking up that feeling from other Delaware folks from this board. We never appreciate what's in our backyard theory working...maybe?
How wonderful that so many great cities are within ez travel reach there. Wow!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:36 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,682,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I've never warmed to Philly and I also find the crime there very off-putting. I much prefer to get my city fix in NYC and Toronto, both an hour and a half away by rail and air, respectively (I'm in TO as I write this). A lot of younger people go to Philly for night life, but I don't like driving at night on interstates and it makes any intake of alcohol a problem. Philly is too close in a sense for us to enjoy. My partner and I go to church there and that's about it. We saw the King Tut exhibition there. I would have gone for Frida Kahlo, but we'd already been to that exhibition in London. Point is, there's very little that would get us over there. There's a lot of nice street life in the summer, but I just can't get into going over to Philly.
I'm from the northeast Philly near Bucks county.......lived there for years.

Hubby and I used to love hopping on the train to center city for shows, dinner and some sightseeing.
Jamming on the river , tall ships, new constitution center, shopping at the reading terminal market, walking around society hill and taking the duck tour.
We also visited the Franklin institute where we saw Body world or Body wars. Quite interesting.
DH, 2 daughters and I used to ride down to Kelly drive for the 4 mile or 8 mile walk along the river. Was wonderful on a fall or spring day.
My daughter did crew on the river in college.
Boat house row at night is all lit up.
Art Museum is also a another nice place to visit.
When we would go......I'd run the steps and stand in Rockys foot prints. Get a great view of the city too.
We never ventured into the crime sections of the city.
Always felt bad for the people that were forced to live in drug infested areas because they knew no other way out.
The liberty bell is another nice site. The history is phenomenal.
We go back when we can but not as often. Used to have season tickets to he Walnut street theater.
Restaurants are superb.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Well, that's my impression of Philly from reading, also. Nice it's confirmed.
Amazes me that Delaware folks seem to have little enthusiasm for visiting much. So close, too.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,991,481 times
Yes, I've also been to a number of the early American historical sites and those are certainly meaningful to me. Yet that's not enough to keep one coming to Philly repeatedly. There are many ethnic festivals every summer weekend, but I actually find those a turn-off, making parking more difficult, as well as forcing various detours when driving. I'm sorry, I guess I basically don't like Philly and think its city government stinks; actually I don't think much of PA state government from what I see/hear on the news. I don't want to keep going on in a negative vein. I'd just rather go to other cities in the NE/Mid-Atlantic.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 AM

604 posts, read 2,013,431 times
Philly does not have the clout NYC or DC have. They don't promote the activities going on much, so unless you are from Philly it is not easy to figure out or plan to go for the event/s. It is as if they get enough visitors based on the historic importance and sites and they don't need to actively look for more visitors.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 25,652 times
My wife, mother in law, grandmother and myself will be visiting Wilmington this weekend. I would like to take them into Philly on Friday or Saturday night for dinner and possibly an activity. Could anyone make any recommendations.

We will have a vehicle, so personal transportation will not be an issue. When making a recommendation please consider a nearby parking garage.

If you would recommend public transportation, also elaborate.

THANKS!!! in advance.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 AM

604 posts, read 2,013,431 times
Most Philly restaurants I know are expensive .. having said that here are some: Recommend reservations, a must for Friday evening

seafood - Bookbinders
Italian - Vetri
Good drinks - Southwark
italian less pricey, minimal decor - Dantes and Luigi's, Modo Mio
American - Gayle's, Latest Dish

Delaware (Naamans Rd) has Harry's Savoy grill for consistently good food and atmosphere - pricey but not like Philly

May be Elizamary has some recommendations?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,682,358 times
Hiya..............it's been a while. When Dh and I would go in we'd visit china town.
There is a french restaurant on Walnut along with several others.
Most of the time we would eat in the Irish pub. Good food at a reasonable price.
Gallos in norhteast philly was rated #2 for seafood.
Very good too.
May want to try downys.

Last time I was there a few months back.......we ate in the reading terminal. OMG......great food.
Not sure if it is still there but Pearls Oysters are the best a a very reasonable price.

sorry.......thats all I know right now.
If I think of anything later..........I'll post.

Happy Thursday everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: