Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,996 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I had posted under a different thread and got no responses and hence am starting a new thread. I am moving to wilmington, DE in a couple of months. I have been doing some online research, what do you guys think about village of fox point @ kynlyn drive, korman residential @ stratford apartments and how about apartments in trolley square such as park view, plaza apts and denbigh hall condominium? I am the kind who would prefer to be in a quiet, safe locality as my job involves commuting at odd hours. Also W/D in the unit would be a big plus. Please let me know if you have any idea about these places.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 AM

604 posts, read 2,012,481 times
Newtowilmington:

It is likely that nobody has any comments to offer .. may be because you are asking about specific City locations which the Forum visitors are not familiar with. And...

Do you need to live in the City .. if you are going to be commuting at odd hours you are probably not going to wok in the City...then why are you desirous of living in the City where you will have to pay wage tax .. So as you can see your query is sort of "nobody goes there" category and therefore, lack of response.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM

53 posts, read 322,199 times
Since no one is offering insightful information, here is what I know:

1. Village of Fox Point is not bad. Management has spent millions of dollars to turn it around. It appears ethnically diverse and no section 8 housing to my knowledge. It used to hold section 8 housing but I doubt it will go back to that because of the money invested.

2. Stratford apartments has a high Indian (Asian, not Native American) population, not that there is anything wrong with that. However, from personal experience and other corroborative statements, certain segments of the Indian population participate in native rituals that have shocked other residents. There is also a heavy odor of curry in some of the buildings. Please people, This is not a stereotype, this is personal experience.

3. The Plaza in Wilmington is full of professional 20 somethings. The Plaza is also within walking distance of Acme. The popular bars are also within walking distance if nightlife is important to you.

Any one of the locations you mentioned are relatively safe.

Good Luck

Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 PM

28 posts, read 118,140 times
Of the three options mentioned, only Trolley Square qualifies as a "neighborhood." If you just want a place to sleep, that's another matter. But if you want to walk to shopping, trails, restaurants and nightlife on sidewalks, day or night, I would recommend Trolley. Besides the major apt buildings you mentioned, there are usually units available in smaller buildings. Walk the area and you will see "for rent" signs; check News Journal and Craigslist listings.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,848 times
I live right up the street from Stratford Apts. Fine area...suburban N. Wilm..right around from mall, across from Target, movie theater...everything is within 5 mins. PA line (202)..15 mins away. Great local.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,751,320 times
I used to live right near the Plaza Apartments (may have looked at a place there, but can't remember for sure); it's a great neighborhood, and like Baconator said, walking distance to the Acme. (and restaurants and bars) There are other buildings in the neighborhood, many very nice, that might not be on your radar because they're not big buildings necessarily featured on some of those apartment search sites; our building was condo, and we found our unit through an ad in the News Journal. I think about half the people in our building worked for MBNA. Trolley Square is quiet and safe, yet still interesting enough that you can enjoy living there when you are home. It's very pretty, although there are some ugly places mixed in here and there. We went on strolls through the neighborhood every night, and you can also walk to places like the art museum, the zoo, and nightlife.

Parking can be a hassle in Trolley Square, though, and the city does (or they did, unless it's changed recently) street cleaning all the time (with the accompanying no parking regulations and violation tickets). If you're going to be coming and going at weird hours it might be worth it to find a place with parking so that you don't need to try to find it late at night or have to worry about always moving your car during the day.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 11,001 times
Hey NewtoWilminton and others:

I am new to this forum and in a similar situation as NewtoWilminton was. May be moving to Wilmington, DE but don't know much about the area. I have done some research but would appreciate feedback regarding apartments and optimal locations. Did you end up finding a place and are you happy with it?

Also, I don't know much about downtown Wilmington. Do many young people live there? Are there many opportunities to meet new people?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,576,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLee View Post
Hey NewtoWilminton and others:

I am new to this forum and in a similar situation as NewtoWilminton was. May be moving to Wilmington, DE but don't know much about the area. I have done some research but would appreciate feedback regarding apartments and optimal locations. Did you end up finding a place and are you happy with it?

Also, I don't know much about downtown Wilmington. Do many young people live there? Are there many opportunities to meet new people?

You might want to start your own thread, request a mod move it.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM

28 posts, read 118,140 times
Default Meeting young people in downtown Wilmington

Yes, there are places to mingle and meet new young people. There are "city block parties" outdoors with bands or DJs, restaurant/bars like the Exchange and the Rebel and special programs like Wilmington After Work on Wednesdays where multiple venues participate, and the Arts Loop on First Fridays. And themed several bars/one cover/free shuttle Loops (http://http://www.out-and-about.com/LoopSchedule - broken link) throughout the year.

Downtown also offers various charity events, an art film center, outdoor concerts/festivals (such as jazz, blues, and this year a new Fringe Festival for the arts like they have in Philly), farmer's markets, two YMCAs, etc. For a flavor, see the Wilmington Renaissance site. There are also several new apartment loft buildings opening/open. The Delaware College of Art & Design (DCAD) is in the middle of everything, along with some smaller satellite campuses. A number of students live in our building, and I'm sure some have even met in our Fitness Center.

If you live downtown and go outside your door, you will meet people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: