Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 10:13 PM

311 posts, read 299,263 times

Advertisements

Essential things like auto repair, grocery, food manufacture, and pharmacies are to remain open. What does Feifer Orchards produce? I didnt see anything about cigarette stores, so I guess people will have to deal with that influx into the grocery or pharmacy. Don't want a bunch of spazzed out smokers running around I guess. It seems to defeat the purpose if trying to compartmentalize interactions. Liquor stores are still open, so hopefully they'll limit it to at least to state residents but its going to almost be in a medicinal capacity for serious alcoholics. I just dont see any partying happening with everything else shuttered. The bottle shop near me didnt appear to have any traffic, though it was open. I think the point of closing clothing stores is because of high touch and fomite possibilities. I would think that pet and pet food stores are going to be essential as well, or at least employees allowed to take care of the pets though not conduct business. I believe the veterinarians are open, but mine requires a call ahead.

I would imagine home repair and related are going to be available for necessity, but I couldnt see anyone starting any new projects without scrutiny. Would you consider a contractor "essential"?

Do you really want to ride in an Uber or taxi right now? I woudln't.

Our park was clear today, but its cold. Time will tell. At least this is a real move this time. We are NOT going to power through this without patience and being extra careful with one another. Once the hospitals are overrun, its going to get next-level serious. That can happen by the second week of April unless they build capacity.

This sucks, but its the bare minimum necessary and it will take at least a month. There is no bargaining here. Nature is not forgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,808 times
For anyone wondering why liquor stores and breweries are considered "essential," one big reason is because neighboring states have already deemed these businesses essential. And the states are all coordinating their bans at this point. Nobody wants a bunch of thirsty people from one state driving into other states for liquor. And let's face it: Delawareans, for better or worse, like their beer. We are a beer state.

Another reason is what happened during Prohibition, when a robust black market for alcohol developed. Police don't have the numbers right now to deal with cracking down on illegal liquor sales, in addition to everything they have to deal with pertaining to the virus. Banning liquor sales just comes with a whole host of problems no one is prepared to deal with. Whereas if you let people bring home a case of beer every few days, they just might stay put at home for a bit.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:35 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
We had hoped people would have enough sense to position themselves at a distance on the beach - it's a big beach, people - but they did not.
There are people who aren't taking it seriously yet, but I've also noticed there's a fair amount of bravado out there. We've run into a couple of acquaintances in recent days while going to the grocery store, and each time, you could paraphrase the other person's conversation as "You aren't SKEERED, are ya?" There does seem to be some kind of macho need to show that you think nothing of it all.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 AM

311 posts, read 299,263 times
I would refrain from drinking or excessive sugar consumption until we find a real treatment for the disease based on my research of the RAAS, ACE2, and other factors that seem to exacerbate the infection. I'm not a doctor, so dont take my word for it. Research it and try to sift the bad information. And I realize there are those who literally can't suddenly stop drinking and shouldn't but we need to come up with a strategy for them.

According to what is written here, consider this article is almost 20 years old.

https://www.nature.com/articles/424121a

Old 03-23-2020, 10:22 AM

13,058 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Just got a note from our lawn service, and they are operating as usual but keeping social distancing as best practice. They re asking that all communications be directed through their office and they will contact the technicians.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:49 AM

319 posts, read 505,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
Essential things like auto repair, grocery, food manufacture, and pharmacies are to remain open. What does Feifer Orchards produce? I didnt see anything about cigarette stores, so I guess people will have to deal with that influx into the grocery or pharmacy. Don't want a bunch of spazzed out smokers running around I guess. It seems to defeat the purpose if trying to compartmentalize interactions. Liquor stores are still open, so hopefully they'll limit it to at least to state residents but its going to almost be in a medicinal capacity for serious alcoholics. I just dont see any partying happening with everything else shuttered. The bottle shop near me didnt appear to have any traffic, though it was open. I think the point of closing clothing stores is because of high touch and fomite possibilities. I would think that pet and pet food stores are going to be essential as well, or at least employees allowed to take care of the pets though not conduct business. I believe the veterinarians are open, but mine requires a call ahead.

I would imagine home repair and related are going to be available for necessity, but I couldnt see anyone starting any new projects without scrutiny. Would you consider a contractor "essential"?

Do you really want to ride in an Uber or taxi right now? I woudln't.

Our park was clear today, but its cold. Time will tell. At least this is a real move this time. We are NOT going to power through this without patience and being extra careful with one another. Once the hospitals are overrun, its going to get next-level serious. That can happen by the second week of April unless they build capacity.

This sucks, but its the bare minimum necessary and it will take at least a month. There is no bargaining here. Nature is not forgiving.
For some a taxi/uber is how they get to and from the grocery store and pharmacy.

Pfeifer Orchards is literally and orchard. They have several fields and grow peaches, apples, pumpkins, etc. and are a food producer. They also operate a farm store.

I was using the term "Contractor" as a general term. Given that it is spring, suppose a waterlogged tree falls on someone's house and it sustains damage. Wouldn't you need a contractor to get the repairs done? Or, since it is wet and raining, what if someone's deck rotted out and they wanted to get it repaired?

In my example I wasn't thinking someone wanted to renovate or make an addition, I mean the urgent fix the home (inside or outside) people sometimes find themselves needed.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:46 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,268,899 times
Governor Carney has imposed a stay-at-home order starting tomorrow: https://news.delaware.gov/2020/03/22...r-delawareans/

I truthfully wonder what difference it makes. It seems people were already isolating at home and most businesses are already closed. Perhaps it might shut down any remaining open business that truly weren’t essential (e.g., ice cream vendors) and chase people who should know better off the boardwalk and beach. I can’t discern whether church services are closed down for now. If not, it’s a weak link in our containment efforts.

I can’t discern whether church services are closed down for now. It allows “religious organizations” to remain open. If that means public assistance efforts such as food banks, then I understand. But if it allows churches to allow members to congregate for services, then that’s a weak link in containment efforts.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-26-2020 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-23-2020, 01:05 PM

829 posts, read 630,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
Governor Carney today announced a stay-at-home order and businesses to close except for certain exemptions.

I noticed the article mentioned grocery stores. I would assume that pharmacies are to remain open?

- food production staying open, does that include Feifer Orchards?
Since Feifer Orchards sells food, I would think that they could remain open - if they wish to - but they are currently still closed for the season. I checked their web site: https://www.fiferorchards.com/ and it shows the Dewey location opening 4/10 and the Farm, CSA and country store opening on 4/3 in Camden - but we don't know if their site reflects the latest mandates.

I will probably call a business before venturing there unless I just want a "Sunday drive" on any day of the week to get out. As far as I know, we're still allowed to do that.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:00 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,561,581 times
About 5 days ago Giant Foods in Delaware started offering a "seniors only hour" grocery shopping from 6am - 7am - before the store opens to the general public at 7am (and after it had restocked the shelves the night before).

Yesterday (Tuesday morning) I planned to be there at 6am to shop. Realized it was still dark out and due to poor night vision I was going to have to wait until there was at least a small amount of light before I could risk driving 3 miles to the store. Biggest issue would be the on coming headlights of other cars, but, fortunately there would be limited traffic on back roads. I waited til 6:20am and made it safely to the store by 6:30am.

There were no crowds, about 60 customers in the entire store at any one time and everything was going very smoothly. I was able to get everything on my shopping list except hamburger. Meats were in limited supply. I had to substitute some of the usual brands for a different brand - but. found most every thing I needed. No line at the checkout. The customer ahead of me was just checking out as I was unloading things onto the belt. In and out in 20 minutes and daylight to drive home. I was back home by 7am. Should not need to go shopping again for 3+ weeks. ( I wore some disposable gloves to minimize my contact with anything in the store.)

I estimate that Giant probably served at least 300 people during that hour and the people coming and going was nicely spaced out to be able to keep your distance from other shoppers and allow for a quick checkout.

If there was a line at 6am, I probably missed it by not arriving until 6:30am. It helps that I shop here on a regular basis, because, I know where everything is located and did not waste time hunting for items. I also had a shopping list and knew what I needed.

I was surprised how smoothly everything worked out. If seniors buy enough for 2 or 3 weeks that should spread out the demand to shop even further.

The Rehoboth Giant was the only grocery store in my area that I know of that has a senior only shopping hour early in the morning before the store opens and after the shelves had been stocked the night before. Other grocery stores might have something similar - but, there was no information posted on their web sites indicating special shopping hours for seniors.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:09 PM

9,729 posts, read 14,275,085 times
In the Camden, Wyoming, and Dover areas (Kent County) all of the grocery stores here have early times for 60 and over customers. We have a bunch of those stores and the list was published in the Delaware State News today. Here's that list:
https://delawarestatenews.net/corona...hopping-hours/

Oh, some grocery shoppers bring their own canvas tote bags for their groceries (I never did that). The rule is, don't take them into the store because they may carry the virus. Stores provide plastic bags, which are much safer. That's in the above article, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware