Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 09:05 AM

9,730 posts, read 14,281,218 times

Advertisements

I just enjoyed a little bit of "normal". Fifer's Farm is a short bike ride for me, outside the Town of Wyoming. The place was a little busy but everyone I saw social distanced and wore masks. It was nice to get out a little bit in the farm air and meander outside through the aisles of crated fresh fruits/vegetables. Not too good paying $5.25 for 3 large tomatoes, but they are perfect and delicious! Some people even tailgated in the huge parking lot and were seen enjoying their fresh fruit and Amish baked items. It's a beautiful day to be on the farm and it's times like these that we appreciate the simple things in life. It was like not much changed. It's days like this that remind me how much I love Kent County, Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 09:21 AM

2,368 posts, read 4,876,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
My business travels took me past the Delaware State Fair today. They're setting up, and the big tractor trailers are rolling in. I read that when admission to the grounds are paid, you must have a mask in your possession. They are required if you go inside any of the livestock or exhibit buildings/area, but not mandatory when walking around or while you're on the rides. In my opinion, it looks like special exceptions have been made by the Governor for the Fair.
https://delawarestatefair.com/10-day...fair-calendar/

Our little Wyoming Peach Festival, which was not approved by the Governor, is a miniature event, in comparison.
IMHO, this is ridiculous to have the fair. Another spike in a month or less since we know that once people get in the masks will go off and it will be business as usual on the rides....screaming, yelling, and spitting everywhere. I'm with you, sounds as if there was some under the table deals.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I just enjoyed a little bit of "normal". Fifer's Farm is a short bike ride for me, outside the Town of Wyoming. The place was a little busy but everyone I saw social distanced and wore masks. It was nice to get out a little bit in the farm air and meander outside through the aisles of crated fresh fruits/vegetables. Not too good paying $5.25 for 3 large tomatoes, but they are perfect and delicious! Some people even tailgated in the huge parking lot and were seen enjoying their fresh fruit and Amish baked items. It's a beautiful day to be on the farm and it's times like these that we appreciate the simple things in life. It was like not much changed. It's days like this that remind me how much I love Kent County, Delaware.
I have been getting Fifer's CSA this summer and it has been great. Yes it is a bit more expensive but everything has been delicious and I know where it was grown. And I agree the tomatoes are so good. Looking forward to picking up this week's today. The corn has been so sweet and I do it on the grill by wrapping it in foil sprayed with butter Pam and sprinkling on various fresh herbs that I grow. The flavor cooks right into it. Now I just have to find some recipes for the summer squash! I think I'll try stuffing and grilling it.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:50 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Just back from Fifers Market here. Plums, Peaches, Spring mix, cole slaw and corn. Still have a few things from last trip. RDLR, I will say that one of the few things here that is more expensive than in NY, and I mean way more is produce of all kinds. It still kills me when I can get apples at home for 79¢ a pound at times and I am paying $2.49 here.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:03 AM

9,730 posts, read 14,281,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just back from Fifers Market here. Plums, Peaches, Spring mix, cole slaw and corn. Still have a few things from last trip. RDLR, I will say that one of the few things here that is more expensive than in NY, and I mean way more is produce of all kinds. It still kills me when I can get apples at home for 79¢ a pound at times and I am paying $2.49 here.
nuts....I wish you could visit Fifer's Farm outside of Wyoming. You would be dizzy with excitement!!!! LOL
As an old native of Delaware, there are 2 REAL Delawarean staples. 1) Fifers Farm and 2) Grotto Pizza. I have had some newcomers ask me where they can get some good NY pizza. My answer: New York.
Now, If I was from NY.....I'd probably disagree regarding some of our Delaware favorites.
Note to Rothbear: Fifer's Farm outside Wyoming is building on to their CSA building....bigger and better.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
nuts....I wish you could visit Fifer's Farm outside of Wyoming. You would be dizzy with excitement!!!! LOL
As an old native of Delaware, there are 2 REAL Delawarean staples. 1) Fifers Farm and 2) Grotto Pizza. I have had some newcomers ask me where they can get some good NY pizza. My answer: New York.
Now, If I was from NY.....I'd probably disagree regarding some of our Delaware favorites.
I would be out of my mind, I am certain. As for Pizza, sorry to say your answer is the right one. I am not a fan of Grotto pizza, or any pizza here, but, that is ok, I am a huge fan of almost everything else DE. I recently discovered that I am lactose intolerant so pizza is now on my "off" list and I keep telling myself that it is ok, I can get along without it. My bigger problem is Hopkins Dairy ice cream. Now that kills me.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:06 PM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 5935 + 31
KENT 1887 + 11
SUSSEX 5171 +18

Hospitalizations 50 - 1

Critical 8 down 3

Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 AM

NCC 5981+ 46
KENT 1978 + 91
SUSSEX 5244 +73

Hospitalizations 55 +5

Critical 7 down 1

Numbers and hospitalizations increased.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Note to Rothbear: Fifer's Farm outside Wyoming is building on to their CSA building....bigger and better.

Yeah!!! Love hearing bigger and better!! I checked out next week's CSA and it's going to be great! I have started picking up at Smyrna. Less hassle than going down to Dover Pools south of Dover. Traffic on 13 is getting worse and worse. The only thing good about the pandemic was that you could travel on 13 easily most any time of the day. I should probably just hop on 1 and go up the 2 exits, but had a couple other stops yesterday on the way. I seem to be located about the same distance from all 3 locations, although I seem to keep getting lost going to the farm for some reason. But nice scenic drive! I have only gone there a few times.

Nuts.....I understand what you say about the pricing. Overall I found grocery prices here to be higher in all areas compared to where we lived in PA and SC.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

NCC 5981+ 46
KENT 1978 + 91
SUSSEX 5244 +73

Hospitalizations 55 +5

Critical 7 down 1

Numbers and hospitalizations increased.
Oooh......91 in Kent. That's not good. We are usually the lowest. Maybe because Walgreen's on State St has started testing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware