Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 11:33 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,197,042 times

Advertisements

Today's numbers over/under Up/down again

NCC 71,594+ 142
KENT 21,504+ 111
SUSSEX 29,969+99

HOSPITIALIZED 251 +21
CRITICAL 42 -1

We lost 6 more family members yesterday.

The first week of reporting breakthrough cases was 4 weeks ago and we were at 904, in 4 weeks we have better than doubled that number.

BREAKTHROUGH LAST WEEK 1544
THIS WEEK 1843

According to DPH this is 4/10th of 1%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 71,938+ 344
KENT 21,652+ 148
SUSSEX 30,125+156

HOSPITIALIZED 252+1
CRITICAL 38 -4

AGAIN, THE BREAKTHROUGH IS VS THE TOTAL NUMBER OF VACCINATED. IT DOES NOT INDICATE HOW MANY OF THE HOSPITIALIZED ARE BREAKTHROUGH CASES.

BREAKTHROUGH LAST WEEK 1843
THIS WEEK 2307

According to DPH this is 5/10th of 1%

Old 09-11-2021, 01:17 PM

NCC 72,267+ 329
KENT 21,786+ 134
SUSSEX 30,280+125

HOSPITIALIZED 251 -1
CRITICAL 38 n/c

AGAIN, THE BREAKTHROUGH IS VS THE TOTAL NUMBER OF VACCINATED. IT DOES NOT INDICATE HOW MANY OF THE HOSPITIALIZED ARE BREAKTHROUGH CASES.

THIS WEEK 2307

Old 09-12-2021, 08:23 AM

829 posts, read 633,151 times
Some of us have been wondering what percentage of the hospitalized or deaths from Covid represent vaccinated vs. unvaccinated, so I thought I'd copy a recent article in the Cape Gazette that addressed it. It also indicates you can access your vaccine record online:

Melissa Steele
September 9, 2021

As the number of Delaware’s positive COVID-19 cases continues to tick up, the Division of Public Health says unvaccinated or partially vaccinated people account for 85 percent of hospitalizations and 89 percent of deaths, according to an Aug. 23-29 report of statistics.

“The report highlights the significant percentage of cases and hospitalized individuals in Delaware who are unvaccinated, or only partially vaccinated,” read DPH’s Sept. 3 vaccination status report.

Of the total number of COVID-19 cases for Aug. 23-29, the report states 2,023 of the 2,582, or 78 percent, were unvaccinated or partially vaccinated individuals.

The percentages increase for hospitalizations with 85 percent – 100 out of 117 – and deaths, 89 percent – 8 of 9.

“Vaccination continues to be the most important factor in reducing deaths and hospitalizations from COVID-19,” DPH states.

DelVAX public access portal

Delawareans can now access their immunization record through the DelVAX Public Access Portal. Parents and legal guardians can print official immunization records for their child/children (ages 0 through 17 years), and adults ages 18 years and over can print an official immunization record for themselves. For details and a link to the DelVAX Public Access Portal, go to dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/ipp/portalflyer.pdf.

The portal will assist those who need to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination but may have lost their vaccination card. While DPH does not replace the card, Delawareans now have an easier way to access their vaccination record. DelVAX is the official record of a person’s vaccination data. Individuals who need assistance can call 1-800-282-8672 or email DelVAX@delaware.gov. Responses to emails and calls received after regular business hours or on weekends may take up to 48 hours.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-deaths/226451

Old 09-12-2021, 12:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnkJ8_BmSI

NCC 72,576+ 309
KENT 21,882+ 96
SUSSEX 30,406+126

HOSPITIALIZED 271 + 20
CRITICAL 40 + 2

THIS WEEK 2307

Old 09-13-2021, 01:53 PM

NCC 72,781+ 205
KENT 21,965+ 83
SUSSEX 30,560+154

HOSPITIALIZED 266 -5
CRITICAL 40 N/C

THIS WEEK 2307

Old 09-13-2021, 07:52 PM

NEWS TONIGHT. Beebe pausing elective surgery

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...cedures/226762

Old 09-14-2021, 06:50 AM

34 posts, read 74,237 times
Let’s hear all possibilities before fear controls everything.

FromThe Atlantic:

If you want to make sense of the number of COVID hospitalizations at any given time, you need to know how sick each patient actually is. Until now, that’s been almost impossible to suss out. The federal government requires hospitals to report every patient who tests positive for COVID, yet the overall tallies of COVID hospitalizations, made available on various state and federal dashboards and widely reported on by the media, do not differentiate based on severity of illness. Some patients need extensive medical intervention, such as getting intubated. Others require supplemental oxygen or administration of the steroid dexamethasone. But there are many COVID patients in the hospital with fairly mild symptoms, too, who have been admitted for further observation on account of their comorbidities, or because they reported feeling short of breath. Another portion of the patients in this tally are in the hospital for something unrelated to COVID, and discovered that they were infected only because they were tested upon admission. How many patients fall into each category has been a topic of much speculation.

VA Boston Healthcare looked into this and found once patients had to be placed on supplemental oxygen to survive, they could be considered a moderate-to-severe case. Hospitalized patients, who required supplemental oxygen fell from 64% to 52%. That means that either alternative treatments were more effective, or (and as I have been saying for months) hospitals began admitting patients with less severe symptoms. To further confirm the point, the study found that up until January 2021, 36% of patients who were admitted to the hospital had mild or asymptomatic cases. That number rose to 48% by the end of June 2021. Presumably, and very likely, this has to do with the fact that COVID hospitalizations are reimbursed at a higher rate than would say, your typical health insurance plan. Congress set aside 100 billion dollars for hospitals from the CARES Act to help with this issue. Should hospitals be left with a choice as to whether they leave beds empty or place a COVID patient, it boils down to a simple business decision: Patient in bed: Paid. No Patient in Bed: Not Paid.

Last edited by pdpfa3; 09-14-2021 at 07:05 AM..

Old 09-14-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfa3 View Post
Let’s hear all possibilities before fear controls everything.

FromThe Atlantic:

If you want to make sense of the number of COVID hospitalizations at any given time, you need to know how sick each patient actually is. Until now, that’s been almost impossible to suss out. The federal government requires hospitals to report every patient who tests positive for COVID, yet the overall tallies of COVID hospitalizations, made available on various state and federal dashboards and widely reported on by the media, do not differentiate based on severity of illness. Some patients need extensive medical intervention, such as getting intubated. Others require supplemental oxygen or administration of the steroid dexamethasone. But there are many COVID patients in the hospital with fairly mild symptoms, too, who have been admitted for further observation on account of their comorbidities, or because they reported feeling short of breath. Another portion of the patients in this tally are in the hospital for something unrelated to COVID, and discovered that they were infected only because they were tested upon admission. How many patients fall into each category has been a topic of much speculation.

VA Boston Healthcare looked into this and found once patients had to be placed on supplemental oxygen to survive, they could be considered a moderate-to-severe case. Hospitalized patients, who required supplemental oxygen fell from 64% to 52%. That means that either alternative treatments were more effective, or (and as I have been saying for months) hospitals began admitting patients with less severe symptoms. To further confirm the point, the study found that up until January 2021, 36% of patients who were admitted to the hospital had mild or asymptomatic cases. That number rose to 48% by the end of June 2021. Presumably, and very likely, this has to do with the fact that COVID hospitalizations are reimbursed at a higher rate than would say, your typical health insurance plan. Congress set aside 100 billion dollars for hospitals from the CARES Act to help with this issue. Should hospitals be left with a choice as to whether they leave beds empty or place a COVID patient, it boils down to a simple business decision: Patient in bed: Paid. No Patient in Bed: Not Paid.
I am not certain that your post adds much to helping us understand the numbers either though. Essentially and simply put, "We don't know, what we don't know." There is a lot that we don't know, and still don't and that is the problem. That fact, coupled with mistrust of just about everyone and agency creates fear. Knowledge is power and it has never been more evident than with this virus.

I have been posting the numbers for well over a year now and on occasion, will add my own commentary and generally speaking, it points to the fact that I am not sure what the mean and how they are calculated. If you have been reading along, you will see that while the numbers are being posted daily, I have recently added the breakthrough numbers and point out that while the numbers state the number of cases, it does not state the number of hospitalized breakthrough cases - a number that would be helpful in understanding the relative importance of the numbers. I have been told the that protocol for admissions to Beebe has been modified to take Covid into consideration. I am certain this is true as the hospital recently tightened up visiting and now the latest news item that I posted above.

Lastly, and this is JMO, I don't think that we here in De. can be compared to and area like Boston. I am a native LI'er and I don't compare De. hospitals to LI hospitals. Totally different animals.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM

34 posts, read 74,237 times
I’m not giving my opinion on the matter, I’ll keep that to my self, knowing what opinions can be compared to. I’m just giving a perspective that i read that others might not have seen. What people feel about it is their right to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware