Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 16,141 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to DE in Jan to work for AIG(one Aig ctr).I am single,27 and would like to stay in DE not more than 10 miles from work.I am looking at some rental postings and I am finding a lot of apartments in Newark and came across one in N Monroe st and 10th street...how good is this place.

I am travelling up to DE in the second week of DEC hoping to look at a few places and finalize on something for my move in JAN.Where would it be good to start.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM

50 posts, read 239,102 times
Wink Contact a local REALTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmover View Post
I will be moving to DE in Jan to work for AIG(one Aig ctr).I am single,27 and would like to stay in DE not more than 10 miles from work.I am looking at some rental postings and I am finding a lot of apartments in Newark and came across one in N Monroe st and 10th street...how good is this place.

I am traveling up to DE in the second week of DEC hoping to look at a few places and finalize on something for my move in JAN.Where would it be good to start.

Thanks for all your help.
Hi and welcome to the Delaware forum. I graduated from the U of D, and because there is such a huge student population, you should have no problem locating an apt. or TH. I would recommend doing your research through a local Realtor, many people on this forum tend to disregard REALTORS services, but that's where I would start. You may also want to contact the U of D directly, they may have housing suggestions as well. Since you are so new to the area, it really wouldn't do any good to research the papers because you are unfamiliar with the area. You might also request some relo. assistance from your employer. While I was a student there, I rented some awesome apartments, but just can't remember the names, it's been so long, and they may not even be in eixtence now. Good luck, have fun, and enjoy. Don't miss visiting the "Deer Park", I thinks it's still there, and a local hangout.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 PM

thanks a lot for responding to my ad.I have been looking at the Trolley square area and the apartments kind of look good.Also, its not too far from my work place.Would you recommend this.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 PM

11 posts, read 53,173 times
Wilmington is nice in some areas but tends to be dead after 5. Better if you're not looking to party. If you are looking for a party type area stick with Newark. Although, either one you choose you won't be far from the other.

Henry

Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 AM

I am not much of a party person during the week,although I would like to have shops and gym opened atleast after 5.oopm.Weekends,I would all the more drive around and have some fun if I need to.Would it still be better to opt for Newark to Trolley square.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:48 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Just some advice on Realtors........

Realtors are hurting at the present time due to the housing recession. Some are desparate and will do anything for a bite into your investment.
When we sold our home, we needed a realtor and we had an excellent one who sold our home a year ago in 2 months.
We were looking into 55+ communities and wanted a brand new home. A realtor I spoke with from De wanted to come with us when we were ready to purchase our new home.
As the story goes, we left without her and told her when we go back that we purchased a home.
She was so disappointed. You know why.........her percentage of the sale. Now why should to pay a realtor for doing nothing. That is all it would have been.
so be wary of realtors. They have one thing in mind and one thing only $$$$$.
Of course if they are giving free advice fine but when it comes to biting into your money. Hold on to it if you can.
If you are selling a home, different scenario.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM

113 posts, read 482,475 times
Hi Charley,

I'm just back from the far West!

Looks like the joint is jumpin' here. Interesting, in any case.

I've lived in the Dover area for 15 years, and my husband and I are moving soon, but we will miss some things about this area, and about the state in general. Some things, we'll not miss at all, and we're looking forward to a major change, but many people find this state a good fit for them and their needs. Surely, you only need to state the facts.

Lori

Last edited by christina0001; 12-01-2007 at 04:24 PM..

Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Welcome back, Lori. I hope your trip was pleasant and productive.

Charley

Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Here's a good site listing some rentals, Delmover.

http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Searchresults.aspx (broken link)

Elizamary.....about Realtors......
If you are selling a home, yes, You, The Seller, will pay the Realtor a commission. If you are buying a home, and use a Realtor's services/help, you don't pay the Realtor a commission, the Seller pays the Realtor that commission. Now, there is an arrangement/contact you can sign with a Realtor which says the Realtor is the buyer's agent, and a fee is payable to the Realtor for finding them a property. Some Realtors specialize in that field. But mostly, many buyers use Realtors to help them find a home and it doesn't cost the buyer anything.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Here's a good site listing some rentals, Delmover.

http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Searchresults.aspx (broken link)

Elizamary.....about Realtors......
If you are selling a home, yes, You, The Seller, will pay the Realtor a commission. If you are buying a home, and use a Realtor's services/help, you don't pay the Realtor a commission, the Seller pays the Realtor that commission. Now, there is an arrangement/contact you can sign with a Realtor which says the Realtor is the buyer's agent, and a fee is payable to the Realtor for finding them a property. Some Realtors specialize in that field. But mostly, many buyers use Realtors to help them find a home and it doesn't cost the buyer anything.
Thanks delly..........I didn't know that. Since we Came to SM and purchased our home direct from the community, I didnt' see the need for a realtor. Except for commission.
I see now I was wrong.
Well for all those seeking to buy.........good advice from Delly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware