Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,518 times

Advertisements

my family is now here in ri for almost a year because of job and we came from nc where we stayed for 3 years.we are actually looking for a place to stay permanently.our choices are indiana,ohio and delaware.anybody who can give me feedback about christiana hosp in newark,de and grandview hosp in dayton,ohio?we like a suburban setting rather than a city because we were already able to compare by living in nc and ri.we also need to consider the crime rate,school system(we got an 8 yr old and a 4 yr old),cost of living(price of houses for sale and rent,price of commodities),job opportunities(both of us are on health-related fields) and of course,the people.what can you say about newark,de or any recommendations re nearby cities.pls advise.thanks!

Last edited by am17sg05; 08-21-2006 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: will add more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,616 times
hi, I'm in (North) Wilmington, 20 mins from Philadelphia (no traffic), 20 mins from Newark (even less traffic).

public schools are ok but not Great -- they're better in PA

people generally okay but MOST not native delawareans (i'm not)

www.delawareonline.com is link for The News-Journal ,and has good housing & job resources

christiana is a real mix; some parts expanding, some shrinking (outsourcing)

newark is very much a college town, w/ all the good&bad that connotes

hth, good luck in your decision

rick

Last edited by rick10254; 08-27-2006 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: a littLe more infp

Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,520 times
Default Smyna resident

I'm a recent resident of Smyrna, about a 30 minute drive to the hospital(without traffic). I have been a resident of Newark, DE my whole life, growing up not too far from the hospital you speak of, which is one of the best in the state, but most of the hospitals reside in New Castle County.

Smyrna has been rated one of the best public school district in the state. We moved to Smyrna because the cost of living is slightly higher in New Castle County, so by working in New Castle County and living in Kent County you take advantage.

Just to give you an idea housing we could have purchased a townhome for $200,000 in Newark and surrounding area. We paid that much for a new counstrution home in Smyrna.

In regards to the people. My father has lived here all his life, and he has always said that the people get more friendly the lower you get into the state.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 44,211 times
Smile NewCatle

I recomend New Castle or Middletown or Townsend.
These two places are both suburban.
They also have a safe and recongnized school system.
In New Castle there is Colonial School District with high academic skills.
In Middletown and Townsend there is the best school district in Delaware know as Appoquinmuik. they have the highest DSTP (Delware, State, Testing, Program.) The DSTP is the most important test of the year. Somewhat like the SAT.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,256 times
Most of New Castle county is risky because of the rising drug problems. From Clamont to Dover, DE is actually not that great and is getting worse as the days go by. I've lived in DE all my life and have lived in all 3 counties. The best county to live in with a family would be sussex county as long as you have a car. The crime rate is very low. But i guess it all depends on what you do for a living and what your plans are. If you want a safe family like place to live, i would say Lewes, DE- Georgetown, DE- Rehoboth, DE- really any parts of sussex county on the east side of DE. Stay away from Seaford and surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware