Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:39 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Thanks delly..........I didn't know that. Since we Came to SM and purchased our home direct from the community, I didnt' see the need for a realtor. Except for commission.
I see now I was wrong.
Well for all those seeking to buy.........good advice from Delly
Yep, Elizamary......It's different when you buy directly, new, from the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM

35 posts, read 135,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmover View Post
I will be moving to DE in Jan to work for AIG(one Aig ctr).I am single,27 and would like to stay in DE not more than 10 miles from work.I am looking at some rental postings and I am finding a lot of apartments in Newark and came across one in N Monroe st and 10th street...how good is this place.

I am travelling up to DE in the second week of DEC hoping to look at a few places and finalize on something for my move in JAN.Where would it be good to start.

Thanks for all your help.
Trolley Square/Delaware Avenue is a very nice place to live and much closer to AIG. Try some of the older row homes on the strip. They have beautiful apartments, most with hardwood and washer and dryers. A little pricey, though. If you are cost concerned, then try suburbs of Wilmington. I think Newark would be a hike in the morning traffic.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 19,283 times
Newark would probably seem childish to a 27 year old.

I'd opt for Trolly Square if I were you.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 AM

15 posts, read 69,093 times
Realtors are hurting because of the recession. Newark is a nicer area if your looking for safer living. Wilmington is a little bit crazy at times. I'd pick Newark if I was going to live in a town near work unless I lived near one of the parochial schools in the city of Wilmington. Wilmington has a Little Italy, a Little Poland(Browntown),A Little Spain,and Catholic neighborhoods. The high end areas tend to be really kept up nice. Little Italy is beautiful,and so is Little Poland(aka Browntown). However, whatever you do is up to you.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy2299 View Post
Realtors are hurting because of the recession. Newark is a nicer area if your looking for safer living. Wilmington is a little bit crazy at times. I'd pick Newark if I was going to live in a town near work unless I lived near one of the parochial schools in the city of Wilmington. Wilmington has a Little Italy, a Little Poland(Browntown),A Little Spain,and Catholic neighborhoods. The high end areas tend to be really kept up nice. Little Italy is beautiful,and so is Little Poland(aka Browntown). However, whatever you do is up to you.

How interesting carguy.........I didnt' realize Wilmington had a little Italy. I just thought of wilmington as a run down city where you would be afraid to loose your life if you walk alone.
Boston has a really nice little Italy. Very authentic. Well Philly does too but I have not visited there. Funny since I lived in Philly?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 AM

Wilmington, afraid to lose your life if you walk alone????, lol . Wilmington is bad , but only in certain areas. If your where the people are then your fine. I don't know what your imagining. Little Italy is beautiful . They take care of there neighborhood, seriously. They really do. Little Italy is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. You are safer if you just mind your own business, watch your back,and don't go into bad neighborhoods if you r in the city. There are certain blocks in the city though that are real bad . The main problem is extremely racist black folk. I'm talking , extremely racist. I went down on one street one day. I was just walking,and I was asked what day it was by a black man. He was cocky,and snide about it too. I also was copied when I went down to another street by accident, when i was just walking, minding my own business. I was being mirrored by someone in a gang. I was near the American express building,and they didn't dare cross the street. I hangout in Wilmington all the time though. I know which streets are bad,and which are good. I could care less what gangs operate there. Thanks to good citizens,and Police, Wilmington is slowly changing for the better. An regardless of the crime in distinct areas, people still want to live there.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
Quote:
Thanks to good citizens,and Police, Wilmington is slowly changing for the better. An regardless of the crime in distinct areas, people still want to live there.
Carguy - what do you think about the area by the Wilmington Riverwalk and the Blue Rocks baseball stadium? It looks fine during the day. Is it still OK at night? I've left the stadiuim a few times now at night (while visiting Delaware) and the streets between the stadium and Route 95 looked a little questionable. What can you tell us?

Thanks.

Charley

Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Wilmington, afraid to lose your life if you walk alone????, lol . Wilmington is bad , but only in certain areas. If your where the people are then your fine. I don't know what your imagining. Little Italy is beautiful . They take care of there neighborhood, seriously. They really do. Little Italy is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. You are safer if you just mind your own business, watch your back,and don't go into bad neighborhoods if you r in the city. There are certain blocks in the city though that are real bad . The main problem is extremely racist black folk. I'm talking , extremely racist. I went down on one street one day. I was just walking,and I was asked what day it was by a black man. He was cocky,and snide about it too. I also was copied when I went down to another street by accident, when i was just walking, minding my own business. I was being Wilmington is slowly changing for the better. An regardless of the crime in distinct areas, people still want to live there.
Hi Carguy........
Glad to hear Wilmington is cleaning up its act. I do think I heard this before though.
We are new to DE and the part I'm referring to is around the train station.
I suppose it is like Philly. I new what area's were okay to roam without a gun. LOL

Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 AM

35 posts, read 135,696 times
Quote:
Browntown is NOT a good area. It is really run down now, unfortunately. Little Italy is much better than Browntown, but not as good as Trolley square. There are racial tensions in the area of Little Italy that really deem this area to be unsafe (just in the last couple of years). I agree Newark is safer, but so far from AIG, it may not be economical.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:18 PM

I've noticed the Wilmington area changing a lot. There is mass quantities of people over by Trolley Square. Where the people work for a living for a legitimate company there is less crime, plain an simple. Browntown is a mix of Retired people,and Black People. Browntown was primarily Polish immigrants in its infancy. They call it Browntown ,because a lot of Leather tanners used to live in the area(hence Browntown,aka Brown leather) . There is racial tension in some areas of Browntown, but its safe in comparison to Riverside an Franklin St areas. In comparison to Little Italy its not as safe, but its a very popular neighborhood that people move to . Little Italy is very safe. I have friends who live in Little Italy. My Uncle grew up in Browntown. He lived in the city until he was in his mid 20s . So, he knows some stuff,and he told me a lot about the City of Wilmington. Lets put it this way, its not like Philadelphia in Wilmington unless your near Franklin St., or 4th St. . The Franklin St. area is real bad. If your planning on walking around anywhere near 4th St. , or Franklin St. then I advise having a gun, a conceal carry permit, your permit to be able to show it,and the gun concealed or on your side where its viewable. Its bad over there, but if you don't travel over around that area then you probably won't really know they are there. Also, the Riverside area is real bad as well. The area around the Stadium is one of the safest areas during the day, and at night during the Baseball season its very very safe. You also have a lot of banks nearby which means a lot of people who work for a living. I'm not so sure how safe it is at night in the offseason, but I used to go to Kahunaville before it closed an I never had a problem.

3 incidents I have had in the city.

1. someone followed me on foot,and I took off running an they didn't bother to chase me. Its definitely not like NY,or LA.

2. Someone threatened me,I put him in his place,and he had nothing to say back to me. He was racist. He was like, what day is it?.

3. Some other dummy wanted to pick a fight while sitting in his car at a stop light when my friends an I were walking on the street back towards one of my friends apartments who lives in Trolley. Needless to say, a couple of us had to hold 2 of my friends back from running up to the side of this guys car. I have 2 friends that are loose cannons. They work in construction, so go figure, lol .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware