Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 PM

26 posts, read 58,784 times

Advertisements

I am working on a historical novel about the end of the cold war circa 1980's. The character is the daughter of a prominent banker who connects her to Senator Roth.

I'm looking for information on neighborhoods where a upper level bank executive would buy a house and raise his daughter. What High School would she attend and bars that she would likely hang out in. Of special interest I'm looking for the name of a dance club in 1980. The scene in for this location is where the character watches the Miracle on Ice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
If she were attending high school she would not legally be hanging out in bars.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I wasn't in Wilmington in the 1980s, but assuming that the upper middle class residential patterns were basically the same as today in the old, genteel pre-war neighborhoods, an upper level bank executive might well have lived in Westover Hills, which is actually immediately north of - and contiguous with - the City of Wilmington (most locals even aren't aware of whether Westover Hills is inside or outside the city limits). When the earliest homes were built in Westover Hills on the eve of the Great Depression, the neighborhood soon came to be called by some "Unpaid Bills".

The Highlands, which is within the City of Wilmington proper, is another possibility. There are some quite big, posh homes there, again pre-dating WWII.

Wawaset Park, more or less opposite The Highlands, would be yet another area where an upper level bank exec might live and have lived in the 1980s. Wawaset Park was originally built for DuPont Co. executives and has houses ranging all the way from attached "triplex" townhouses of a very fine old sort, all the way up to some mansions. All levels of executives and their families originally lived there. I'm sure, however, that even by the 1980s many of these homes were no longer occupied by DuPont execs, but rather by other economically advantaged families.

Wawaset Park is, to my mind, sort of the most romantic of these neighborhoods, while Westover Hills is most Gatsby-esque (though the housing stock is nonetheless diverse, including some very modest 1950s ranch houses - or "ranchers", as they are usually termed here locally). The Highlands is a bit difficult to describe as succinctly, and again is quite diverse -- everything from attached rowhouses, to nice and homey old duplexes or "twins", to great big family homes and mansions. It is probably the most classic old American neighborhood in its way. Suggest you google images of these neighborhoods, using Wilmington DE and the neighborhood names as search terms. Possibly one or more of these neighborhoods might also have a Wikipedia entry or other info of interest available on the internet.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM

Oh, as to high school, I would suggest the nearby, private Tower Hill School, with its gracious and spacious buildings and campus, located immediately north of The Highlands and Wawaset Park, and just south of Westover Hills.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:08 AM

What, pray tell, is "the Miracle on Ice"? As to bars, a friend told me yesterday that the Jackson Inn was where he had his first illegal public drink (using a fake i.d.)many years ago, so maybe that would be a possibility. It's just an old tavern, though -- not a dance club (was established in 1929 and continues in business today). It's located nigh unto Westover Hills, just outside the city limits.

I hate it when someone asks a question and then never engages further or acknowledges responses made to their OP.

Last edited by doctorjef; 08-24-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM

387 posts, read 916,204 times
Westover Hills and Tower Hill School are good suggestions. Tatnall School would also work.

For the bar, you want Kelly's Logan House in Trolley Square. Delaware isn't big on dance clubs, but everyone used to go to the Stone Balloon in Newark, DE, for live shows. If you look on Youtube, you should be able to find actual Stone Balloon footage from 1980. Basically, Kelly's Logan House = local bar, local bands; Stone Balloon = big acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If she were attending high school she would not legally be hanging out in bars.
Legally, no, but any old fake ID would do pre-1990s. My sister used my aunt's ID, and they don't look a thing alike (even aside from the 15-year age difference).

Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 AM

347 posts, read 863,442 times
Wasn't the drinking age 18 back in the 1980's? If it was, then a high school senior would have been of age to drink legally.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthemove View Post
Wasn't the drinking age 18 back in the 1980's? If it was, then a high school senior would have been of age to drink legally.
No. Our kids graduated high school in Delaware 1979, 1981. My memory is very, very, very good.
Delaware:
Now 21, Lowered to 20 in 1972, Raised to 21 in 1984

Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM

347 posts, read 863,442 times
Too funny rdlr! I remember when NJ raised the drinking age from 18 to 21 - effective January 1, 1982. I turned 18 in May of 1982. Part of our high school class could legally drink.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,491 times
Some prestigious girls schools around Wilmington back then were DAPI Academy and Wood Haven Kruse School for Girls. As for bars, George's Next Door, The Buggy Tavern, Merry House, Talley-Ho and Wing Wah were the popular watering holes for Benetton/Esprit/Merry Go Round/Guess clad underaged kids. Brookmont Farms, Winterset Farms, Dunleith and Knollwood are a few of the posher neighborhood in northern DE. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware