Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times

Advertisements

Well, Wilmington is definitely sports bar country. I would suggest looking at the website of Kid Shelleen's in Wilmington (Trolley Square area). I am not sure when they originally opened, though they've been in business for a long time. I am unsure whether or not Kelly's Logan House has tv sets continually tuned to sports, but they may. I am not sure who would have had a projection style tv, if anyone. Where is the protagonist going to university? If UD, someone else here will be able to say whether or not the old Stone Balloon (Newark's version of the Fillmore or Armadillo World Headquarters) would have had any tv in the place). Although Stone Balloon closed several years ago, there are a couple of taverns around UD that go way back. I never can recall the names of them, although I think Deer Park Tavern is one. Might check that out for a website, and again I'm sure someone else can comment. Back in Wilmington, there are some other pubs and sports bars in Trolley Square, Catherine Rooney's being one. Again, not sure how far back they go. There's a sports bar next door to Catherine Rooney's as well. Googling sports bars in Trolley Square would provide info; or someone else on the forum might do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM

26 posts, read 58,805 times
Thanks!!!!! I went into Google Earth and got a good look at the Westover Hills neighborhood; perfect place for her to be from and grow up! The Tower School is great location as well. I will be mailing the school to see if I can get a circa 80’s campus map.

I did look at one of the clubs mentioned there was a Youtube vid great setting looked like a place she might hang out in but no TV’s. I will look into the web sites you mentioned.

Her college is something I haven’t thought too much about. I was initially thinking George Town but DU might be more interesting. I had decided against her going to law school since that would send her to law school about the time of Iran Contra. So I’m thinking she would major in international studies or some other related political science.

Let me look up both schools (as well as Trolly Square) and I will post something on Saturday.

Doctorjef you have been so helpful thank you!!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:10 PM

46 posts, read 154,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
The Charcoal Pit on Rt. 202 was a big hangout.
During my high school days my friends and I were there nearly every weekend and more often in the summer. There'd actually be lines out the door on a Friday or Saturday night. Before cell phones, internet, 300 cable channels and advanced video game systems we had to entertain ourselves the old fashioned way by literally going out and interacting with others. I remember lots of us would sort of hang out in the parking lot behind Dunkin Donuts drinking booze laced sodas we got from Wawa and then we kids would just walk up and down the pike meeting up with others. Good times!!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 PM

46 posts, read 154,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Well, Wilmington is definitely sports bar country.
Maybe today, but maybe not so much back in 1980, especially considering there were no cable or satellite packages offering 50 channels of various sports. I'm not even sure we had ESPN on cable back then, as we only had about 25 or 30 channels including HBO back in 1980. Wilmington didn't get Pay Per View until maybe around 1989 at the earliest.

This story supposedly takes place 30+ years ago. Much has changed in Wilmington and Newark since then.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
This story supposedly takes place 30+ years ago. Much has changed in Wilmington and Newark since then.
The 30 years is why I am reaching out. While I can get current information not living there and not knowing the history first hand I want to get it right. While the sotry is first to entertain I want to make sure the people who read it get the right feel of the locations.

It would be cool if people in addition to saying this was a fun sotry to read can nod their heads and say "I remember that it is so cool to see it in a book."

For Doctorjef: From our comments yesterday I looked up colleges in the area and for this character I think I will have her going to Georgetown. Her father would definitely have the means and this character is politically ambitious. I will be emailing Georgetown for a 80 era campus map so I get it right.

Again to all thanks for the help.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,496 times
You do understand Wilmington didn't become a bank town until the mid 80s, right? We weren't a financial capital when your book is supposed to take place. A different industry was king back then so if you want to keep things "authentic" then the main character's daddy should be a bigwig in a different business. Also (based on experience), many senior level execs based in Wilmington didn't live in Delaware

Good luck with your story, you'll need it if you are going to rely on the information provided by somebody who's only recently lived in DE and resorts to Google searches to help with your queries.

Like they say, write what YOU know.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM

At the same time, there have always been banks and bankers here, even if the banking industry wasn't the same national industry that it later became. I'm sure there were wealthy and upper middle class bankers in Wilmington prior to the 1980s! One should also note that Delaware became an international centre of incorporation and corporate law around the turn of the 20th Century (before which it had very archaic incorporation laws). That might be more germane to the legal system than to banking, but would still have likely had some impact on banking in the State.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin 42165 View Post
You do understand Wilmington didn't become a bank town until the mid 80s, right? We weren't a financial capital when your book is supposed to take place. A different industry was king back then so if you want to keep things "authentic" then the main character's daddy should be a bigwig in a different business. Also (based on experience), many senior level execs based in Wilmington didn't live in Delaware

Good luck with your story, you'll need it if you are going to rely on the information provided by somebody who's only recently lived in DE and resorts to Google searches to help with your queries.

Like they say, write what YOU know.
The information I'm looking for are just setting and back story, the stror is not about Wilmington. I have only shared the information on this character. The story is about the Cold War and takes place all over the world. I am writing about what I know about. This is a small detail and appreciate the help of anyone that can lead me to good cultural information. I will be researchign and validating anything I get here.

Not sure why this is getting hostilities. I am only using comments as starting points.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:39 AM

What was perhaps being implied is that it could arguably be more appropriate to the time and setting for the father to be an upper level DuPont Co. executive, rather than a bank exec. Nonetheless, as I pointed out, you surely would have had affluent bankers at almost any time in Wilmington's history, not just since banking became a major industry here.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 AM

Yeah I try to be careful of how I read things because so many times I’m reading between job interviews and working a part time job. I was tweaked by the “write what you know” comment.

I choose to make her father a banker because it is easier to give him reach across the state borders into Maryland, Virginia and lobbyist in DC. He is not a major character other than just someone in background that will advise his daughter or help pull strings. I did toy with the idea that in 1980 he knows the banking boom is coming since the laws that created it had been passed in the 70’s.

The novel is about the end of cold war. My historical research is why this character has to come from Wilmington. Due to Iran Contra I need her connected not only to the white house but to Senator Roth. After reading the Senate Intelligence reports from that time Senator Roth was one of the reasons Iran Contra became news.

What I’m looking for here are bonus points. I can do a generic bar but I want the extra bonus where someone can read the story and say “I remember that place” and know I have it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware