Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:44 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lash5107 View Post
Charley- I thought I was being clever, but you win!!!! -LA
You WERE being clever and original. All I did was borrow the priceless idea.

Charley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM

43 posts, read 53,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
You WERE being clever and original. All I did was borrow the priceless idea.

Charley
Aw, shucks!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lash5107 View Post
Aw, shucks!
Blushing lash

Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 PM

199 posts, read 938,768 times
I've been away for a few days. I was, and still am on a quest (don't ask).
But I thought I would chime in with my two cents about the possibility of a Barnes and Noble coming soon to your area.

Most retail businesses who have been around awhile, i.e. Barnes and Noble, have statistical models that tell them where they can make a profit. To put it simply, they'll put a compass point on the map (Camden), draw a circle and determine if the population within the circle, allowing for tourists during the summer season, will be sufficient for them to make a buck. Let's face it, a business as large as Barnes and Noble will have to make a major investment to establish one of their book stores. They're not going to do that unless they feel they can achieve their profit margin. So, send all the emails and letters you like, but if the folks ain't there, they ain't a-comin'. Now, that's not to say they haven't looked at the area, but you should be able to tell from the answers you get. When all the retirees in Florida move to Delaware, I guarantee they'll be there. My two cents.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
We actually have TWO Barnes and Nobles in Rockland County a few miles apart from each other. With Rockland and Kent having similar populations, maybe there is hope.

If not, maybe I could bring one with me

Welcome back Peewee.

Charley

Old 10-12-2007, 05:27 PM

113 posts, read 482,707 times
LASH and Charley, you both made me laugh. I call it a tie.

Barnes and Noble would be good, and how about Ikea, Crate and Barrel, Outback and Carrabba's? I don't eat beef, well--guilty look--not often, but Carrabba's are sometimes located with Outback, and yum! I think Julie told me, when she was visiting and using MY computer, that you'd already been through the no Whole Foods, far away Trader Joe's thing, but what I'd like is an Eddie Bauer store. We're always ordering from their catalog for my very tall, large husband. In said catalog, I see that no store is listed in Delaware, yet all but one or two other states, including Alaska, have them.

Lori

Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post
LASH and Charley, you both made me laugh. I call it a tie.

Barnes and Noble would be good, and how about Ikea, Crate and Barrel, Outback and Carrabba's? I don't eat beef, well--guilty look--not often, but Carrabba's are sometimes located with Outback, and yum! I think Julie told me, when she was visiting and using MY computer, that you'd already been through the no Whole Foods, far away Trader Joe's thing, but what I'd like is an Eddie Bauer store. We're always ordering from their catalog for my very tall, large husband. In said catalog, I see that no store is listed in Delaware, yet all but one or two other states, including Alaska, have them.

Lori
Hi Lori...........When we first moved down here, I was a tad disappointed there was no Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

Carrabba's is really good. We had one in Philly. I think Macoroni grill is sort of like a Carabba's.

Crate and Barrel is my daughters favorite store but a tad too expensive for me.

Peeweez.....welcome back!! Hope it was a good hiatis
You are correct.......If they find there is not enough customers for them to make a profit, then they won't build
But
If they build it, we will come

Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 AM

Peeweeaz,

Meant to say that, yes, of course, you're right about not enough population in this area to encourage a lot of the stores we'd like to see here appear. It took a long time to get a Home Depot, but I think they finally took note of the construction going on.

Lori

Last edited by christina0001; 01-04-2008 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: widowed/referenced post deleted

Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 AM

Elizamary,

You and I can write to Carrabba's.

I agree that Crate and Barrel can be expensive. We've been fortunate to find some good buys on kitchen things, mostly, over the past several years.

Lori

Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 AM

43 posts, read 53,685 times
Default wish list

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Most retail businesses who have been around awhile, i.e. Barnes and Noble, have statistical models that tell them where they can make a profit. To put it simply, they'll put a compass point on the map (Camden), draw a circle and determine if the population within the circle, allowing for tourists during the summer season, will be sufficient for them to make a buck. Let's face it, a business as large as Barnes and Noble will have to make a major investment to establish one of their book stores. They're not going to do that unless they feel they can achieve their profit margin. So, send all the emails and letters you like, but if the folks ain't there, they ain't a-comin'. Now, that's not to say they haven't looked at the area, but you should be able to tell from the answers you get. When all the retirees in Florida move to Delaware, I guarantee they'll be there. My two cents.
I agree, Peeweeaz. Hopefully at least they will take a look in our area and see the growth and potential. A girl can dream, can't she?!?!

And while we're making a wish-list...how about a sporting goods store? Now for those of you who have met me, you know I'm not exactly athletic, but it would be nice to have a Dick's, Sports Authority, or something.

LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware