Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada49 View Post
I am coming down to Delaware in April, 2008, to look at retirement communities. I lean toward buying a lot, but would buy in a land-lease community if everything was good (good location, nice houses, good neighbors, etc.). I find Elizamary's posts very informative and helpful. She sounds as if she would be a great neighbor, positive, intelligent, enjoys a good time. I would love to have her for a neighbor. Who knows? Anyway I find these questions and answers useful, especially since I have not been to Delaware in 25+ years, will come down for about a week, and will probably make up my mind shortly after visiting there. My other state of interest is Nevada, pretty opposite Delaware in most ways.

Eileen in CT
PS: We were also looking to Arizona but figured it was too far and too hot.
They say DE is the new Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
We thought about Arizona briefly, but since most of our family is in the northeast, we thought we'd like to stay on this side of the country.

Charley

Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM

199 posts, read 938,768 times
Eliza,

You comments about AZ are right on target. This summer we set a record with 33 plus days of 110 or higher. My wife and I fried bacon and eggs on our driveway last week (lol).

Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Eliza,

You comments about AZ are right on target. This summer we set a record with 33 plus days of 110 or higher. My wife and I fried bacon and eggs on our driveway last week (lol).
And how were they? (bacon and eggs) Yummy!

Guess your air conditioner doesn't get a rest.
I had a nightmare that I got my electric bill and it was $14,000.
Now that is a true nightmare. I feeling relieved it was just a nightmare. Whew

Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Eliza,

Last month our bill was 150.00 (house is all electric). Of course, we sleep in a tub of clold water.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Eliza,

Last month our bill was 150.00 (house is all electric). Of course, we sleep in a tub of clold water.

Together? Opps TMI. (to much info) LOL

Seriously, Not bad at all. I have gas and electric and my bill was a tad more that yours.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Eliza,

I sent you an email to your personal inbox, but you haven't yet responded. I'm wondering if you didn't recognize the little guy peewee as the sender. The subject was "Medicare vs. Blue Cross/Blue Shield."

Bob

Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Eliza,

I sent you an email to your personal inbox, but you haven't yet responded. I'm wondering if you didn't recognize the little guy peewee as the sender. The subject was "Medicare vs. Blue Cross/Blue Shield."

Bob
Hi Peeweeza...........No, didn't get it I will check again.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 PM

55 posts, read 182,272 times
Elizamary and all others who post here: Thanks for all the useful information. As most of us already know, it is hard to plan a move locally but much harder to do so from a distance. That is why I am doing as much research as I can before I come down to Delaware next Spring. I will only have a week there and will probably make a decision that week, or more likely think it over after I return to Conn. I am deciding between Nevada and Delaware and leaning strongly towards Delaware as houses much cheaper, taxes lower and I think it is a much more scenic state. I only want to move once when I retire so have to choose the correct place for me. I am in a small condo now, in a fairly nice complex, but it is 30+ years old with 2 stories. I want one-level living and other features that will make it easier as I age. I am single, so 1 or 2 bedrooms are fine, but I want a place with a pool, and a clubhouse, guard-gated, and definitely 55+ residents. Had enough of the screaming kids to do me; ditto with the loud motorcycles, cars with blaring sound systems and all that. So keep up with the useful posts. You help more than you can ever know and I will do the same for people after I find my place.

Thanks to all!

Eileen in Conn.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada49 View Post
for me. I am in a small condo now, in a fairly nice complex, but it is 30+ years old with 2 stories. I want one-level living and other features that will make it easier as I age. I am single, so 1 or 2 bedrooms are fine, but I want a place with a pool, and a clubhouse, guard-gated, and definitely 55+ residents. Had enough of the screaming kids to do me; ditto with the loud motorcycles, cars with blaring sound systems and all that. So keep up with the useful posts. You help more than you can ever know and I will do the same for people after I find my place.
My husband was just saying the other night.....How nice it is that we dont' hear the fire engines anymore.
Used to hear them ALL day long.

Our reasons for wanting a 55+ are the same as yours.

Our community has a pool and a clubhouse but is not gated as of yet.

And you are quite welome I was so grateful that everything worked out for us that this is my way of doing my part.
You have no idea what we went through and how this has worked out so perfectly for us. If I can help someone going through the same thing, then it is my pleasure.
Believe me, I was nuts trying to find out all this stuff ...........what was right for our happiness and finances.
2 years ago, I really didn't think it possible to have a brand new pretty home.
As the prices went up, I thought I woud need to settle for a re sale which really would not have been bad at all. But then we found SM and our dreams came true.
When good comes to you then you should in turn give to someone else and they do the same.
And if I can help one person with information, then I'm ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware