Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 19,865 times

Advertisements

Hey peeps,
I just purchased a gun and just wanted to know what the rules are for carrying it on me and in my car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 06:34 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,022 times
Hi! Gun owner here, have been for most of my life. Delaware is pretty gun friendly. Open carry is permitted for those who can legally own a gun except in courts, govt. buildings, schools, and other prohibited places. Open carry means it must be visible at all times--such as in a holster on your hip.

Concealed carry requires a permit and approved course. I will attach some more info. Kinda lengthy--but accurate.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/delaware.pdf

Old 03-12-2019, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 19,865 times
Thank you sir!
How about in car? Is it ok to carry it in my car?

Edit: if a cop pulls over, am i obligated to give him info about my gun?

Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 AM

405 posts, read 676,325 times
Like Liz said, if you can legally own a gun you can open carry and that includes in a car if it is in plain view and not concealed. Like on the dash.

Follow the link above and look at the " RV/Car carry without a permit" section.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:13 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Hmmm, you bought a gun, yet don't know the rules.....
why not just contact the police? They certainly know better than us city data lawyers.
Why on earth do you need to carry it on you in the car?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 PM

319 posts, read 504,784 times
A Bit of related, yet important history...

Apparently until recently when Dover Ordinance 2015-15 was put in place, one needed
a concealed carry permit in the city of Dover even to open carry. This was because
Dover's restriction was grandfathered in when Delaware's open carry law was created.

In 2015, the Dover Ordinance removed the Dover restriction.

A link to Dover Ordinance 2015-15 is below. It is important to educate
yourself on firearms restrictions generally. I remember a story about 5 years ago
about a gentleman, nuclear engineer, who almost lost his livelihood due to misunderstanding.

Dover Ordinance 2015-15:
https://evogov.s3.amazonaws.com/medi...edia/12656.pdf

The story of the nuclear engineer:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tates/2498369/

Old 03-20-2019, 03:02 AM

Some of us City Data lawyers are lawyers, police officers, and just well-informed gun owners. Ask away.

Before the ordinance the Dover open carry restriction could be taken care of with a written letter from the Dover chief of police.

You carry a gun in your car for the personal protection.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
Some of us City Data lawyers are lawyers, police officers, and just well-informed gun owners. Ask away.

Before the ordinance the Dover open carry restriction could be taken care of with a written letter from the Dover chief of police.

You carry a gun in your car for the personal protection.
Pete, you offer a very plausible answer and one that rings 100% true. I would trust some of the people I have met here with my life and I have never actually met them. But that is all because I have built a relationship with them over time. That said, and ONLY speaking for myself, if it came to a matter that I might have a problem with the law on, I would want to verify my question with the police or DMV and not someone I don't know from Adam. I will add that I tend to over investigate everything so maybe it is just me.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 AM

9,726 posts, read 14,269,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Pete, you offer a very plausible answer and one that rings 100% true. I would trust some of the people I have met here with my life and I have never actually met them. But that is all because I have built a relationship with them over time.
Me, too, Nuts! And then, there's one, possibly two, who's posts make my eyes glaze over.
Pete always nails it, and is a valuable contributor.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:02 AM

I agree you should ask an authority.
But it don't hurt to ask here. You never know when you'll get a good answer.
And thanks for your kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: