Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:16 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,911,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg24 View Post
By the way, Does anyone know if I'm obligated to answer any questions about my gun if a cop pulls me over?
Laws vary by state, not sure about your state, just don't suddenly blurt out "I have a gun". Do NOT do that.

The best thing to do is just give him your carry permit along with your drivers license and let him tell you how to proceed. Most of the time it's cool, they likely will not even care. Sometimes they already know as the information might be tied to your license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 04:24 AM

405 posts, read 676,713 times
Open carry mostly refers to handguns.
You can publish your notification in the The Guide. It need not be a " large paper".
When you file your application with the prothonotary it goes to the state DOJ who has investigators who do a thorough criminal background check and verify your 5 references. It then goes to the Superior Court judge in your county with a recommendation from the investigators to issue or not issue a concealed carry deadly weapon permit. If approved by the investigators the judge almost always approves the application. No begging in front of the judge required.
If you can legally open carry then you can have a handgun in your vehicle as long as it is in plain sight. CCDW holders can conceal their weapon in their vehicle. Long gun must be unloaded but I have not seen where they must be locked up:

Quote:
TITLE 7Conservation Game, Wildlife and Dogs
Chapter 7. Regulations and Prohibitions Concerning Game And Fish

Subchapter I. General Provisions

§ 708. Loaded Firearms Prohibited in or on Motor Vehicles, Motorboats or Farm Machinery.
No person shall have a loaded shotgun or rifle in that person's possession in, against or on any automobile, other vehicle, any piece of farm machinery, motorboat while under power, sailboat while under power, or have any ammunition in the magazine or chamber of such shotgun or rifle except when it is otherwise lawful to hunt crippled migratory birds from a motorboat as permitted by federal law.
If you transport a weapon through states like MD NJ or even DC you must lock up the gun and ammo seperately where you do not have ready access to it. You are allowed to stop for food, restroom visits and a few other exceptions . There are federal laws that cover this. If you are not just passing through the state(s) you must be going to one of the state-approved destinations, ie. target range, gunsmith or hunting area.
I do agree that it is good practice to inform the law enforcement officer that you are carrying a weapon. Its just common sense.
Now, I hope the laws are less cloudy.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 AM

789 posts, read 787,200 times
Ask an authority but remember The Police are not always the best place to go for advise as many times officers in the field may have issues with the laws that they don't under stand them self or the our person opinions and may even rather you not carry all . A quality concealed carry course will set you straight as to what the law reads as to what they teach and what your not sure of ASK !! The down side for open carry is getting some citified folks all a fluster over a Handgun !!! But remember winter times sets in and open carry is not a wise move so CCW .

Then read up other states laws as to who allows DE ccw license to be used in there states .
I have concealed carry for 32 years and never has a single issue with CC . You asked about carry in a car . When you find a good holster and the right handgun for YOU there's no reason to not carry on your body the same as when walking around or working . But you do want a high quality small safe in your vehicle for when you have to disarm like a Fort Knox single gun safe with a Simplex lock that can be secured in your vehicle . Picking the right handgun and holster for your need are just as important as being comfortable carrying AND knowing your deal with stressful moments very well .
If I can answer questions PM me . I can probably help you out . Carrying a handgun is NOT for every one .

Only time I open carry is when in the woods say scouts after or for hunting season and open carry is legal in NC but in my 22 years here I have never seen any one open carry .

Couple good site to visit are , and read , read , read but you can join and ask to -
https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/forum.php
Delaware Concealed Carry Forum - Index Ask about reviews on good CCW classes and if your budget allows take a defensive handgun class. mm
https://www.usacarry.com/forums/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: