Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
We have state farm and our insurance dropped a couple hundred. I guess it depends what you are used to. coming from Philly, I find DE much cheaper except for groceries. Some say it is expensive but not from my perspective.
The grocery issue is an interesting one. We went to the Acme and saw beautiful pork chops for $2.99 a pound - a good price. In the same store, we saw boneless chicken breasts at $5.49 a pound which we thought was absolutely ridiculous. So we drove down to the Metro next to Happy Harry's on Route 13 and found boneless chicken breasts at $2.29 a pound - much more reasonable. Quite a difference within a few miles.

The prices for some items at Byler's was fabulous. Other items were "OK" and some were a bit expensive. (By the way, I loved Byler's)

I think if you shop more than one store, use your coupons, follow the sales, and stock up when the item is on sale, you should do very well. Our shopping, in New York (for two of us) runs about $330 a month and we do eat well, as those who have seen me can verify as true.

Charley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 AM

957 posts, read 3,701,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Sounds like you are very astute, regarding real estate. No doubt, you've seen the tax rolls for Sussex County, and the absence of property owned by Delawareans. Most I see, have owners' addresses in other states.
Absolutely, that is exactly why wages and real estate prices in this state are so out proportion. People who have to live and work here can barely afford to own a house. Some can't, which explains the 52% rise in Sussex Co foreclosures this year.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 AM

My insurance more than doubled when I moved here from NH. TN was cheaper than NH.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
The grocery issue is an interesting one.
The prices for some items at Byler's was fabulous. Other items were "OK" and some were a bit expensive. (By the way, I loved Byler's)

I think if you shop more than one store, use your coupons, follow the sales, and stock up when the item is on sale, you should do very well. Our shopping, in New York (for two of us) runs about $330 a month and we do eat well, as those who have seen me can verify as true.

Charley
That is exactly what I do Charley. Now Walmart is good for most except meats and produce. Meats, I check around for the best quality and price. Takes a while going from store to store but I'm retired and love shoppings so no problem for me.
I used to love the Pathmark back in Philly. We stopped in last Sat when visiting and got a whole pork loin for $1.49. The buys are super. Also, produce junction is amazing for produce.

it is interesting going around to the different markets. I check the ads on the computer and make my list then go store hopping.
BTW, I spend more than you when I go to the food store. About $120 or $150 weekly.
some are horrified at what I spend but that also includes my soaps and washes, cleaning and paper products, sodas and water.
And
You are not that Big charley. You look good. get over 50, not many have the hard bods that we had when we were 20.

We change with age. when people see my wedding picture, they say "you were so tiny".
Needless to say, I'm still small but not as tiny as I was.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Now Walmart is good for most except meats and produce ... BTW, I spend more than you when I go to the food store. About $120 or $150 weekly. some are horrified at what I spend but that also includes my soaps and washes, cleaning and paper products, sodas and water.
We do Walmarts also for the non-meat items, and yes our grocery bill includes all the items you included above ... and cat food and litter. We're really good at shopping ... lol.

Charley

Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
My insurance more than doubled when I moved here from NH. TN was cheaper than NH.
WOW! That's a significant increase.

I called GEICO this morning. I gave them an address at Nobles Pond and asked them for a quote based on my current auto coverage and usage.

My policy in New York is $499.50 for both cars for 6 months. The equivalent quote for the 19904 area code address I gave them would be $326 - approximately 35% lower than New York.

Charley

Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Insurance is so expensive here, I will probably register in another state soon. Probably TN.
From what I understand, TN is a reasonable state to live. Most states have had a huge jump in cost of living and foreclosure... not just DE.
This is happening all over the country.
This is why many are moving to DE because it is a tad better than where the come from.
If I thought another state was better than DE, I certainly move there.
Life is too short not to be where you want to be.
Being a retired person, I have that option to pick up and go. That is why we are here in DE. Had enough of the high taxes in PA, car insurance in Philly and paying a sales tax.
WHen we moved here, we saved $720 a year on Car insurance and car payments (no sales tax)
Plus, our taxes in Philly were $2300, now they are around $400 a year.
I thought I died and went to heaven.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
We do Walmarts also for the non-meat items, and yes our grocery bill includes all the items you included above ... and cat food and litter. We're really good at shopping ... lol.

Charley
I dont' know why I spend so much more than most people. We buy cat litter and cat food too.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I dont' know why I spend so much more than most people. We buy cat litter and cat food too.
I don't know. We're really good at sales, at stocking up when the price is good, at not buying brand names, etc. We also don't buy a lot of processed stuff. We don't buy alcohol or anything that's really fancy. I don't know if that helps at all.

Charley

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
This is why many are moving to DE because it is a tad better than where the come from.
If memory serves, you are retired and sold a property somewhere else. You probably cashed out and own your house in DE outright. If you had to make a living here to pay a mortgage, you would see it in a different light.

You're right, people come here to retire with a bunch of cash from the sale of a property they had owned for 30 years and think they hit the lottery. They look at our real estate values relative to their previous state, not relative to the average local wage. That mentality is pushing the local real estate market out of reach for locals who need to make a mortgage payment on an average wage.

Average wages and quality of living is actually a little higher in TN around the larger metro areas yet the sale property there would cost 1/3 what it does here. Wages, real estate and costs of living are very much in proportion there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware