Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 AM

190 posts, read 867,104 times

Advertisements

Thanks all.

Armk, you bring up and interesting point. We in NE are not used to having so much land in between towns! We first experienced this when we visited Easton, MD. Here in NE, the towns are right next to each other, and yes, each is different.

Alot of people have told us that we will not find what we are looking for outside of NE, but I don't agree. My husband and I started to think of all the places we have been and love (and can't afford to live except for Madison and the issue there is feeling isolated) - Carmel,CA, Sonoma, CA, Madison, IN, Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, St. Helena, CA, Calistoga, CA - all of which are very different.

Then someone told me about "Walk Score" and we checked all these places, and they all have a high "Walk Score". It's not the only criteria. It's just one thing that now makes sense as to why we like a place - walkability is very important to us, along with the other criteria we list.

So the hunt continues. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've got some exploring to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 AM

604 posts, read 2,012,299 times
Macdebbie:

Isn't life lived well full of choices we make? Wherever - each place - you have lived had everything but ......... fill in the gap depending on what place or what age (therefore, different needs you had) you were.

You may want to prioratize your requirements and assign weight to them and put every place you explore through the matrix to arrive at a total weighted value then you may come up with "the place" that comes close to your ideal place ..... just a suggestion!

OTOH, you may enjoy the process of exploration itself and then you are on your way!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,417,658 times
I would also look at New Castle, West Chester, and Media.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 PM

190 posts, read 867,104 times
Good idea (the matrix). And yes, exploring is half the fun. We're seeing parts of this country we might never have otherwise.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM

324 posts, read 1,221,165 times
I think Newark fits the bill.
Too many people say that the University controls the town but that isn't a bad thing...it keeps things busy, keeps businesses in business and brings a vibrant scene to the town that other areas don't have.
I see just as many families as I do groups of students and I have never found the students to be out of control or too unruly to make it uncomfortable.

What is nice about the college town aspect of Newark is that you can get up and out early in the day and all the students are still sleeping! Hit Main St. and do your errands and what-not with it being pretty quiet, unless it is homecoming weekend of course!

On top of that, all the conveniences you are looking for are in your distance range. PHL International is about 35 miles or so from Newark and central Philadelphia (Center City) is about 45. BWI is fairly close too if you don't mind a little longer of a drive.

The beaches, both Jersey (blasphemy on a DE board) and Delaware are 1.5-2 hours away at a normal pace with Jersey being more of a Philly destination with larger towns and Delaware beaches being a Del/Baltimore/Wash DC destination.

Philly is a hour away, NYC about 2 hours, Baltimore about 1.25 hours and DC 1.75-2 hours. Really central

Water activities can be had on the Chesapeake or Delaware Bays along with various streams and ponds in the area for fishing and nature exploring.

Our seasons are more 4 season like with one caveat...last winter we had nearly the amount of snow you are used to in 3 major storms. That is very unusual...we might get one of those storms on a good year. We generally get a little more ice/freezing rain that melts off quickly (but you can find that from the Gulf through New England in any given winter).
Also, our summertime is a bit more hot and humid than you may be used to...my mother-in-law lives on the south shore as well (Weymouth) and it does get hot there, but not as bad as we get it here. In the worst of it, we will be Florida hot and humid (90°s with high humidity). Spring and Fall happen - they may not last as long as we would all like but they are seasons that we do experience.

Sure, there are strip malls and chain stores, but where can you find that that isn't land scarce and established anymore?

For weather data, I like Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground (Weather Underground) - it does give a lot of detailed information on weather trends.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 AM

Plenty of metro Wilmington people go to the Jersey shore. Why would that be blasphemy? All my neighbors went to Wildwood, which is closer to Wilm. than any Delaware beach is.

Also, on the flip side, about half the plates going down route 1 on a given Summer day are PA plates. You will also see (why, I don't know) plenty of New Jersey plates at the Delaware Beaches. I guess even they get sick of their own beaches.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM

324 posts, read 1,221,165 times
Since I have moved to the state, I have heard nothing about Jersey shore points from locals and only hear of the beaches in Delaware. Being from Philly myself, I prefer Jersey shore to DE beaches merely because there seems to be much more to do.
I have only driven through O.C. MD so I don't know how it compares...

This is what I base my "blasphemy" comment on (jokingly) - why would you associate with the shore points in Jersey when you have a perfectly good beach area downstate?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Ocean City Maryland is huge. Go to Seacrets, and you'll never look back. It's quasi-Delaware as it literally borders the state line.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM

53 posts, read 140,728 times
The debate between the Delaware beaches and Jersey shore is good natured & fun. I've lived in Delaware all my life and have enjoyed both. I love the history & architecture of Cape May, the nautical quaintness of Long Beach Island, the eclectic style of Rehobeth, and the hub-bub of Ocean City, MD. And of course there is Atlantic City, Chincoteague Island, VA.... I could go on...

The proximity to all of these cool places another reason I enjoy living in Newark, Delaware. Variety!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,985,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Ocean City Maryland is huge. Go to Seacrets, and you'll never look back. It's quasi-Delaware as it literally borders the state line.
I find Ocean City, MD to be quite charmless when compared to Lewes, Rehoboth or Bethany. Of the DE beach towns, Dewey is pretty charmless but at least it isn't choked with high rise condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware