Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Salem Avenue is a very high crime area

(awaits the rose colored glasses poster to say it isn't.....)
Salem has issues, but the Phoenix project officers and the Peace Corridor people are working on that. The Main Street corridor is the main issue in that area. Don't believe me? Check in at the 5th Precinct on Salem.

Or check out this map: http://www.daytonohiopolice.com/crimemap/

Last edited by Amandarthegreat; 10-24-2014 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,519 times
This is typical of Dayton

Two Teens Arrested After Attempted Carjacking - WKEF-TV ABC 22 News :: News - Top Stories

Old 10-26-2014, 08:31 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
That is typical of a world with cars; Dayton didn't invent carjacking, nor is Dayton the only place it happens.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:

MY DEAR FRIEND WHAT makes so sad with Dayton, is because we ownd 2 homes on
Salem Ave. they are in excellent condition, but Salem Ave. ISN'T.
In the best of circumstances Salem Avenue would be a hard sell; a high-traffic noisy highway into the city. Who would want to live on it? In fact I'm surprised there still are people living on it and the whole street isn't boarded-up yet.

I think you can see that once upon a time the trend was conversions away from houses. Those (now vacant and overgrown) doctors offices and the nursing home in the midsection, near the Dayton View library, and the commercial and office conversions south between, say, North Avenue and the river...where they were tearing down houses and converting the land to things like the United Way, the welfare office, the car dealer, and so forth...

But that pretty much has stopped and the retail/commercial/office aspect of Salem is mostly going vacant... and what IS torn down (both houses, apartments and other stuff) stays that way...as in vacant lots.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
I could probably write a small essay on the evolution/devolution of Salem Avenue (the southern part) since I did some looking-in to the history of that area, but will spare y'all the pain. There is probably an interesting social history to be written of the Salem corridor, too, from what I've heard of the area.

But that is for another board, not this one.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:02 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
In the best of circumstances Salem Avenue would be a hard sell; a high-traffic noisy highway into the city. Who would want to live on it? In fact I'm surprised there still are people living on it and the whole street isn't boarded-up yet.
Great point. Salem's the busiest street in the western corridor. I wouldn't want to live on it directly.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Great point. Salem's the busiest street in the western corridor. I wouldn't want to live on it directly.
Amanda swears by it! Beautiful street with boarded up homes, hookers walking the "track" and shooting a plenty. How could you NOT love that?

Old 10-29-2014, 04:38 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,848 times
Your constant personal attacks are really getting old. It's happening in thread after thread and post after post. Perhaps some fiber in your diet would help.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:01 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
^Yeah, it doesn't even fall within TOS for this site. It's a blatant personal attack.

As I'm sure you know, weatherphotographer, I reported it. And yes, I'm sorry I did, but I don't understand why you have to do personal attacks. If you were just going to say "I think Salem Ave. is a cesspool filled with heroin addicts" or something to that effect, than sure, you're not doing a personal attack and we could pull up some facts and have a good debate. But your last post is just a personal attack...

Old 10-29-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^Yeah, it doesn't even fall within TOS for this site. It's a blatant personal attack.

As I'm sure you know, weatherphotographer, I reported it. And yes, I'm sorry I did, but I don't understand why you have to do personal attacks. If you were just going to say "I think Salem Ave. is a cesspool filled with heroin addicts" or something to that effect, than sure, you're not doing a personal attack and we could pull up some facts and have a good debate. But your last post is just a personal attack...
But, conveniently, you missed this personal attack from her

Here it is for you to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
You live in Huber; no one takes your opinion seriously since you don't even know the area to which you're referring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton