Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:29 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. PRICE View Post
Dayton has never been a wonderful place for people of COLOR, even in the HEYDAY, believe me I lived there from 1945 until 1957
This is a fair point to bring up, that race relations in Dayton (and many other cities) just simply aren't that good. But various government attempts to rectify that only served to make them worse (something that continues to this day).

Busing, above all else, when ordered by a federal judge, did more damage to Dayton's neighborhoods than any other single act by causing thousands of whites to simply pack their bags and move to Kettering - eroding the tax base, among other things.

Rather than the city having its hand out looking for more tax dollars, or watching MVRPC try to promote "regionalism", which is merely subsidizing a failing city with suburban tax money, the city should look to reinvent itself and position it as an alternative to largely racially homogenous suburbs... a diverse one with opportunity for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:47 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
\the city should look to reinvent itself and position it as an alternative to largely racially homogenous suburbs... a diverse one with opportunity for anyone.
Sorry I cut most of your quote, but I think you hit home with this part.

Welcome Dayton (thanks Mr. Leitzell, who I'm still hoping will show up on here again sometime) has done wonders for promoting this type of movement in city limits. Because you are right, where else are you going to find a diverse community around here that's NOT in Dayton city limits? Kettering? Huber Heights? Trotwood? Even all of those are a stretch, and a big one at that.

If the city can successfully position itself as a welcoming community, just as Welcome Dayton promotes, then that would resonate well with a lot of people.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Rather than the city having its hand out looking for more tax dollars, or ....
... the city should be figuring out how to do away with the destructive income tax. It may be getting more and more common in Ohio, but it's not the norm and without its removal, the title of this thread is possible correct.

The income tax is just a subsidy for underfunded public employee plans. It's a huge barrier to Dayton for anyone considering moving within Montgomery County or into it. Kettering is going down the same path.

The only place that can keep it is "The Dome" of Oakwood where it lends something to the air of exclusivity and helps pay for the obsessive upkeep of stuff in the city.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 PM

You know Oakwood gets a bad rap for having the highest income tax in the area.... but truth is, Oakwood, except for that strip along Far Hills, doesn't have many businesses. Almost everyone who lives in Oakwood works elsewhere... primarily UD or Miami Valley Hospital... in both cases Dayton gets its' cut of the income tax first, and Oakwood doesn't actually get that much.

All that said, the answer is easy - you should pay city tax where you live, not where you work. It's ridiculous, and is subsidizing the city at the cost of suburban taxpayers. Of course, a guy named Randy Gunlock realized that suburban taxpayers aren't too stoked about the idea, either, and decided to build a new office park about a mile south of the LexisNexis campus. And ever since then, they've been eating downtown's lunch while Randy Gunlock is laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:31 PM

41 posts, read 62,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
The OP is an older individual who reminisces about the west side of the 1970s and earlier. He lives in California.

He is the OP of many other threads and does one hit wonders like this on his large thread. I'm not sure what his purpose is, because Dayton of 1970 is never coming back. The question is, would we want it baick? I know I don't.
I AM very concerned because we have two houses on Salem Ave. near the hosiptal and the entire street has decayed.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Quote:
I AM very concerned because we have two houses on Salem Ave. near the hosiptal and the entire street has decayed.
Oh, goody. Another out-of-state landlord lecturing those of us who actually live in the city.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
This explains a lot. A whole lot.

Sir, you need to sell. And don't expect any more than $40k out of each house, even if they are in pristine condition. Zillow around here gives decently accurate values (Zillow probably predicts about 25% over or under what a house could sell for), so take those and run with them. You probably will be losing money, but for everyone involved it sounds like you'd be doing the right thing to cut your losses now. Best of luck.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Another reason the city is a lost cause - low voter education.

I see the "vote for issue 11" signs everywhere but nobody can tell me what it's about. I had to look it up - it's another 8.2 mill tax hike countywide. I'll have to crunch the numbers but I'm pretty sure that will make Montgomery County have the highest property tax rate in the entire state.

At this point I no longer care what the levy does - property taxes are too damn high. Owning anything in Montgomery County in hopes of the appreciation outweighing the property taxes is a losing proposition.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
I paid over $20 in taxes for a $179 weekly hotel room near Dayton Mall, where I'm staying right now (no longer in Englewood). If I lived here for a year, I'd pay ~$1100 in taxes without even owning any property.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I paid over $20 in taxes for a $179 weekly hotel room near Dayton Mall, where I'm staying right now (no longer in Englewood). If I lived here for a year, I'd pay ~$1100 in taxes without even owning any property.
I thought after a month's stay, you were considered "a resident" and tax exempt? I'd check that one out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton