Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdatwmu View Post
Last time I did the math, taxes on our house have increased about 42% in under 6 years.
That's cause for revolt. How is that even possible? I'd be making some politicians look as bad as possible as quickly as possible if I were you....

Because an increase like that is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,448,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stdatwmu View Post
Last time I did the math, taxes on our house have increased about 42% in under 6 years.
What was the amount you were paying before and the amount you are paying now if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:11 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
That's cause for revolt. How is that even possible? I'd be making some politicians look as bad as possible as quickly as possible if I were you....

Such is the cost of voting "yes" on levies.

Despite what people may think, I don't sit athwart history yelling "Stop" for nothing. I'm telling people to vote no on taxes because they're already too high. Yes, government services can be a good thing, but not when they cause property taxes to go up by 5-6% annually, without any end in sight, and the paychecks haven't kept up.

I can only surmise that many people's position on tax levies would change the minute they become property owners.

Remember that almost every school district comes back to the voters at least once a year, asking for more money. It's never a renewal anymore - it's always a "renewal and increase" or "additional" money. In many areas you can now expect to pay 3% of the value of your house on property tax... annually. It's why the state started creating homestead exemptions for seniors on limited income, because it's a crime for someone to be taxed out of their own home... that they likely own and have the title to, free and clear.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:40 PM

No message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Such is the cost of voting "yes" on levies.

Despite what people may think, I don't sit athwart history yelling "Stop" for nothing. I'm telling people to vote no on taxes because they're already too high. Yes, government services can be a good thing, but not when they cause property taxes to go up by 5-6% annually, without any end in sight, and the paychecks haven't kept up.

I can only surmise that many people's position on tax levies would change the minute they become property owners.

Remember that almost every school district comes back to the voters at least once a year, asking for more money. It's never a renewal anymore - it's always a "renewal and increase" or "additional" money. In many areas you can now expect to pay 3% of the value of your house on property tax... annually. It's why the state started creating homestead exemptions for seniors on limited income, because it's a crime for someone to be taxed out of their own home... that they likely own and have the title to, free and clear.
Agreed it is important to watch what the levies really pay for. And also why income tax is superior to property tax, but I digress.

That being said, how can your taxes increase 42% over a decade with virtually no inflation? How many levies is that?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Agreed it is important to watch what the levies really pay for. And also why income tax is superior to property tax, but I digress.

That being said, how can your taxes increase 42% over a decade with virtually no inflation? How many levies is that?
Easy-- a quick scan of the county auditor's website would show you the millage rates on property by school district and city. The typical effective residential millage rate varies widely - sometimes in the 50's, sometimes over 120 (in Oakwood). Ohio's property taxes are deliberately confusing.

Mills are thousands of a percent of the property's value.

But "taxable value" is only 35% of the assessed value of the house. Meaning, of a $100,000 house only $35,000 of it is taxable.

So 100 mills of $35,000 taxable value is $3,500 a year, or 100 thousandth's of the property's taxable value.

But then you have to factor in various rollbacks (the State would kick in 12.5% of a property tax levy for the longest time), tax breaks, exemptions, etc, which vary immensely by district.

100 raw mills might only be 70 effective mills on residential property. And there's a different rate on commercial and industrial properties.

And that doesn't include the homestead exemption, which IIRC for seniors on limited income exempts the first $25,000 of a property's taxable value.

Anyhoo, if the property is taxed at 80 mills, and Issue 11 passes, an 8.21 mill hike, then the new tax rate is 88.21 mills - or an 10.2% increase in one year.

It doesn't take much for the school district to come back and ask for another 5-8 mills the following May. Since "it's for the children" and "vital services will be gutted if it doesn't pass", it has a decent chance of passing. Guess what, the tax rate just went up another 6-10% the next year too. So in a six month period, property taxed at 80 mills is now property taxed at 95 mills. Which means, on a $100,000 house, your tax is now close to $3,000 a year (compared to ~$2,300 the year prior). Just for owning the property.

And that, folks, is why I can't afford to own property in Montgomery County.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Anyhoo, if the property is taxed at 80 mills, and Issue 11 passes, an 8.21 mill hike, then the new tax rate is 88.21 mills - or an 10.2% increase in one year.
You might want to really check out the information about Issue 11. Using your own statement with the correct information inserted:

"Anyhoo, if the property is taxed at 80 mills, and Issue 11 passes, a 1 mill hike, then the new tax rate is 81 mills - or a 1.0125% increase in one year."

True, Issue 11 is an 8.21 mill levy. However, 7.21 mills of it have been collected since at least 2007.

http://www.mcohio.org/government/tre...able_2014_.pdf

FAQS | Human Services Levy Campaign

Old 10-14-2014, 10:01 PM

164 posts, read 381,961 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
What was the amount you were paying before and the amount you are paying now if you don't mind me asking?
Quote:

This doesn't factor in the 10% reduction or anything, but here you go...

2007 - $2,875
2008 - $3,410
2009 - $3,480
2010 - $3,880
2011 - $4,230
2012 - $4,100
2013 - $4,300

The numbers we saw when we bought the house would've been the 2007 data (since those are paid in 2008) so that was my basis for the 42% increase between then and 2012 (paid last year, when I made that calculation). If you compare to the 2013 taxes, it's actually a 50% increase! To be fair, with this year's (lower) reappraisal, I expect our taxes to drop a bit going forward.

Seriously, everyone should see the breakdown before any election available at the county auditor's website. It's a great resource - they have a specific New Levies page that breaks down the cost of everything on the ballot.

Montgomery County Auditor | Property Search

Old 10-15-2014, 05:50 AM

$600/yr increase in 2007, $400/yr increase in 2010, and another $400/yr increase in 2011..... wow. That's ridiculous.

But thanks for posting the link! I'll definitely be checking that out when moving back to the area haha.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Thank you for post that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton