Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 AM

39 posts, read 92,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I think I know what you're saying about not looking at a house as a financial investment, just doesn't sound very homish. I plan on living in my home until they drag me out kicking and screaming to the old folks home. BUT, it really, really, REALLY IS and investment. The biggest investment that most people will ever make in their lives. The problem with many of these homes way out in the far-flung suburbs is that they are not appreciating, and many are actually losing value. They are not built to last, but rather to just look pretty until they sell. Paper mache', as someone put it, describes many of them very well.
I'm also a glass half full person, but I try to use my brain. Since you are not local, you haven't been able to watch these brand new suburbs being thrown up the way the people who live here (some of us born and raised in the Dallas area) have. Really, people are just trying to help.

I totally agree, and appreciate the help. I love all the good points that everyone have presented and it is helping me with my decisions. The only thing I don't appreciate is when people start passing judgments as in "Thou shall regret this" or "You will be a bad parent" etc. etc. BTW, I have been in Dallas for almost 9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
Galileo - what's y'alls commute like now? Where do you live now?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Galileo - what's y'alls commute like now? Where do you live now?
It's not that bad. We live (lease) in south Richardson. 10 minutes to 635/75 (inside streets) and 30-35 minutes to Irving (635).

Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
Yeah, I was thinking Richardson would be a more central location, but, hey, that's where you already are!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Yeah, I was thinking Richardson would be a more central location, but, hey, that's where you already are!
Yep, would love to be in Richardson but we can't find what we are looking for in Richardson. Either the houses are a lot older or they are out of our budget!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
It's not that bad. We live (lease) in south Richardson. 10 minutes to 635/75 (inside streets) and 30-35 minutes to Irving (635).
I would hate to trade that commute for the potential one from Allen. Since you are in Dallas you did hear the traffic reports this morning? There was a dsabled car on SB 75 at Renner. They were reporting a 30 minute slowdown from Allen.

Didn't mean to sound bad to you at all . Just didn't realize you were actually HERE. When people come on here and try to think that some of these commutes are "normal" or whatever they just don't seem to understand and it does get to be frustrating. I don't personally get "frustrated" or irritated. I just laugh and hope they actually like and enjoy it. I'm the glass is half full type of person anyway and always like to see the bright side in everything and laugh most things off.

Quote:
Yep, would love to be in Richardson but we can't find what we are looking for in Richardson. Either the houses are a lot older or they are out of our budget!
Keep looking. Have you looked in the Lake Highlands area? What about getting the older home that needs some updating for now. Or the older home that is low on the budget, live there for a few years and then tear it down and rebuild? I know some areas are not big on the teardowns but some friends hated to leave Lake Highlands as they LOOOOOOVE the area, schools, close proximity to work, etc. They did a teardown and rebuilt. If your not into the teardown you can always just do the interior gut job and update everything. Your electrical, plubming and all would be of a MUCH BETTER quality than most homes you can find in the suburbs on new builds. It would be an "older" house technically but better built than a new one and better updates and resale. Just think of all of the money you would save in gas and car maintanance, wear and tear with those longer commutes.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
I totally agree, and appreciate the help. I love all the good points that everyone have presented and it is helping me with my decisions. The only thing I don't appreciate is when people start passing judgments as in "Thou shall regret this" or "You will be a bad parent" etc. etc. BTW, I have been in Dallas for almost 9 years.
OK. Can't comment on the bad parent deal since my husband was commuting south of LBJ to Denton when my child was a baby!
Commute-wise it was very unpleasant, and I hated for him to be so far away.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Keep looking. Have you looked in the Lake Highlands area? What about getting the older home that needs some updating for now. Or the older home that is low on the budget, live there for a few years and then tear it down and rebuild? I know some areas are not big on the teardowns but some friends hated to leave Lake Highlands as they LOOOOOOVE the area, schools, close proximity to work, etc. They did a teardown and rebuilt. If your not into the teardown you can always just do the interior gut job and update everything. Your electrical, plubming and all would be of a MUCH BETTER quality than most homes you can find in the suburbs on new builds. It would be an "older" house technically but better built than a new one and better updates and resale. Just think of all of the money you would save in gas and car maintanance, wear and tear with those longer commutes.
I would like to stay away from teardown or major remodeling for the first home. It may be a good project down the line though. We will keep looking. Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,434,622 times
Quote:
I appreciate your opinion to re-evaluate, and we are still in the evaluation mode. We haven't made a decision to go either way. I did not say anywhere that I wanted anyone to tell me that I should or should not buy a new house or one out there. That decision will be based on many other factors besides our commute. What I don't appreciate is the ridiculing attitude that you are putting up on here. Like I said before, provide an objective opinion but keep the judgment to yourself. For all I know, we may end up buying an older house that is closer in; we just don't know yet.
I feel sorry for you and all the others that have mentioned moving to the northern suburbs because it seems like the Dallas posters will jump all over you for even considering Allen, Frisco, or McKinney. All I can say is that you have to do what you have to do. If you are wanting a reasonably priced newer house, then I think Allen would be a good fit for you and your family. I am not saying that the commute will be easy, but it is doable. Otherwise, all of those people who live up in that area would not be there because a lot of them work in Dallas. I live in Frisco, which is just as far north as you would be in Allen, and work in Downtown Dallas, which is even farther south than the High Five (635/75).The commute is not fun, but I don't really mind it. I just do what I have to do.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
I appreciate your opinion to re-evaluate, and we are still in the evaluation mode. We haven't made a decision to go either way. I did not say anywhere that I wanted anyone to tell me that I should or should not buy a new house or one out there. That decision will be based on many other factors besides our commute. What I don't appreciate is the ridiculing attitude that you are putting up on here. Like I said before, provide an objective opinion but keep the judgment to yourself. For all I know, we may end up buying an older house that is closer in; we just don't know yet.
You posted on a very lively public forum populated by some very opinionated individuals. Some of us are not going to say what you want to hear. If you feel that I am "ridiculing" you, it is because I think what you are proposing is asinine. Sure, other people do it; but that does not make them right for doing it. Also, your reasons (and other peoples' reasons) for not wanting an older house are, to me, baseless and ignorant. Any home of any age will have maintenance issues and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas