Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:33 PM

30 posts, read 120,555 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to the North Dallas area in a few months and I was wondering what area(s) is/are the most desirable? My hubbie will primarily be working in West Plano, we will have 2 kids soon (I'm due at the end of the year) so good schools are a plus, parks, etc. I guess I'm addressing those who currently live in those areas--if you had to choose again, would you make the same decision--or would you move elsewhere? Be as specific as you like. For example, currently live in Waterford Parks in Allen but would love to live in Twin Creeks b/c...
Thank you so much for your responses! I look forward to reading them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:57 PM

583 posts, read 2,634,976 times
I am a Mckinney resident of 2 years and I would choose Mckinney again but Allen still is a strong second. We are in Allen 4+ times a week for gymnastics so that would save us our 20 minute commute to the gym. I also like the shopping Allen has put in during the past 18 months. Homes in Allen vs. Mckinney is a wash.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,584,906 times
If your hubby is working in West Plano, I'd put Plano as my number one contender. Less commute = more family time, less money spent on fuel and vehicle maintenance, less stress on him meaning happier overall...just a better way to live. Plus, you'll be closer to Dallas in case you want to go and do 'city' stuff.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM

212 posts, read 477,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureDFWnewbie View Post
We are going to be moving to the North Dallas area in a few months and I was wondering what area(s) is/are the most desirable? My hubbie will primarily be working in West Plano, we will have 2 kids soon (I'm due at the end of the year) so good schools are a plus, parks, etc. I guess I'm addressing those who currently live in those areas--if you had to choose again, would you make the same decision--or would you move elsewhere? Be as specific as you like. For example, currently live in Waterford Parks in Allen but would love to live in Twin Creeks b/c...
Thank you so much for your responses! I look forward to reading them!
OMG! Those are your choices? On the other hand, Wendy's for every meal!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,009,063 times
Plano

The rest are too far away from everything.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,263,780 times
If you can afford the perfect home in West Plano, I'd stick with it. Over the last 15 years, I have very very rarely had clients move from one of those cities to another one of those cities. I have had plenty that were renting on of those and ended up purchasing in another one too.

Naima

Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
I personally would not choose any of those areas but if your husband is going to be working in west Plano, I would cross Allen and McKinney off the list and consider Plano, Frisco, Richardson, and possibly even far North Dallas. Remember, J.J. Pearce High School in Richardson is exemplary and I think all of its feeder schools are too. I believe all of the elementary schools in the Reservation and Canyon Creek areas are rated exemplary.

In terms of a commute, when you are north of the Trinity it seems much easier to live south of where you work than to live north of it. Traffic coming south on 75 and the tollroad in the mornings is brutal, but traffic going north on those same roads is much lighter.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM

436 posts, read 1,614,677 times
we lived in w. plano for years. I would move back in a heartbeat. we loved it.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,897,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I personally would not choose any of those areas but if your husband is going to be working in west Plano, I would cross Allen and McKinney off the list and consider Plano, Frisco, Richardson, and possibly even far North Dallas. Remember, J.J. Pearce High School in Richardson is exemplary and I think all of its feeder schools are too. I believe all of the elementary schools in the Reservation and Canyon Creek areas are rated exemplary.

In terms of a commute, when you are north of the Trinity it seems much easier to live south of where you work than to live north of it. Traffic coming south on 75 and the tollroad in the mornings is brutal, but traffic going north on those same roads is much lighter.

Good luck.

AGREE 100%

I'd cross off McKinney and Allen super fast. NO WAY!!! That commute would be pusing the 30 minute limit easy and even worse on some days depending on traffic, road construction, accidents, etc.

The far north area of Richardson ISD is GREAT! Great schools, great neighborhoods, close to everything but w/ larger lots w/ mature trees, parks, etc. My daughter has friends that live in the Pearce zone up off of Campbell and Coit, GREAT AREA!!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:35 PM

22 posts, read 100,654 times
Allen is a wonderful family oriented community. We live in Fairview which is just east of Allen. Very nice area, good schools, large lots, etc... Commute would be 30 mins or so. My husband already does it and says
its a breeze.

We personally never go into Dallas (city) we have no need to. Too much
crime and traffic down that ways. The few times I have gone there its always dirty and seems like quite a bit of crime going on.

We love living in the suburbs and couldn't be happier!

Last edited by suns34; 09-16-2009 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something in order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas