Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times

Advertisements

While it is crowded as heck and the traffic at rush hour is horrendous compared to some other suburbs, Plano would be my top pick. Why?? Well we bought a house in carrollton for the school district. BUT
The best stores and restaurants are usually found easily in Plano. E.G Whole Foods.
The homes are, on the whole, much nicer to look at and better maintained.
The park system has an aquatics program. Not all of them do. Carrollton only has outdoor aquatics in the summer.
While the homes are more expensive I think they will hold their value a bit better than Carrollton.
On the negative side Plano is packed to the hilt. However, it seems to be well planned aesthetically. The schools have a decent reputation and it is a straight shot to downtown dallas on the tollway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
I have lived in Plano (near Preston/Parker) and in Allen (near Greenville/Exchange Parkway). When I lived there, my trips to Dallas proper were VERY limited - usually the once a month trip to the office in downtown and once or twice a year to go to the Meyerson. Most of the restaurants in these areas are new, but are in strip malls or pad sites. From an ambiance perspective, it's rather bland. There are some locally owned establishments, but they don't have the character that I personally really enjoy. Due to that, I could simple not see myself ever living back in the northern burbs again.

Now, we live in Lake Highlands in the NE quadrant of Dallas. We now frequent Knox/Hendersen (imo, probably the best area of DFW for quality restaurants and shops), Highland Park Village (more high quality shops and restaurants) and several other neighborhoods. I could simply not imagine living any further from the places we love. I believe in 2011, we are getting a DART station within a 10 minute walk to my front door - which I expect will only further increase the amount of time we spend in the areas of Dallas we love and enjoy.

Brian

Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
When I went to SMU many moons ago I had a friend from Richardson (went to Pearce) who went with us (the Wildcat contingent) to a game at the Cotton Bowl. He grew up in Richardson and had never been to the Cotton Bowl nor Fair Park.

He was crazy afraid and we were laughing at him. Of course most of us grew up just a mile or two the north (however one lived about six blocks away) so we were also a little insulted!

Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 PM

77 posts, read 341,642 times
I've lived in Plano, Mckinney and Allen. I have no desire to live in Mckinney again and zero desire to live in Frisco. I don't even like to drive/visit there. West Plano would be ideal because it's a nice place to live and closest to work. You really don't realize what you gain by living close to work (5-10 minutes).

While not as culturally established as Dallas, there are plenty of things to do in the burbs and places to see art, listen to music and dine somewhere that isn't a chain. Lots of stereotyping going on from residents of both sides here, I presume because they aren't familiar with the hidden treasures that each has to offer.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 PM

63 posts, read 185,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureDFWnewbie View Post
We are going to be moving to the North Dallas area in a few months and I was wondering what area(s) is/are the most desirable? My hubbie will primarily be working in West Plano, we will have 2 kids soon (I'm due at the end of the year) so good schools are a plus, parks, etc. I guess I'm addressing those who currently live in those areas--if you had to choose again, would you make the same decision--or would you move elsewhere? Be as specific as you like. For example, currently live in Waterford Parks in Allen but would love to live in Twin Creeks b/c...
Thank you so much for your responses! I look forward to reading them!
Allen (either West or East Allen) is my top choice. To me, it is promising land to live in.
Allen is a young and growing city with many shopping malls have been built in recently years. Entertainment and tourist centers will be built soon. Allen is safe place to live with well-known national top-ten high school. I read an article talking about national best schools in Forbe megazine website last year and Allen was deserved in the list of top ten.

Richardson is my 2nd choice.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:26 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
I've lived in Allen for 9 years, and it's a great fit for my family of four (with a 4yo and 6yo). We are in PISD though which definitely is a factor in why we live exactly where we do. My wife and I love living in Allen - so much in fact that 3 months ago after we sold our house we bought another one about 2 miles away (with the exact same schools all the way through 12). My wife works in Plano and I work in Richardson so I have the longest commute at 15-20 minutes depending on time of day.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,710 times
I lived in Plano, hubby works in Plano...currently live in Allen for 10 years... if I could do it again - West Plano... almost anything West of Custer.... better schools, parks.. sure good shops in Allen but driving to the shops is half the fun :-)

Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 AM

25 posts, read 60,539 times
Okay if husband takes a job in Plano (75024) we will be looking for a nice kid friendly middle class neighborhood to raise our 3 and 5 year old. Starting Kindergarten.....good schools a priority, community pool/clubhouse as a stay at home mom looking for kid friendly social atmosphere. Preschool for our 3 year old....etc....how does one choose an area in or around Plano. Overwhelmed and would rather take advice from people that know and live in the area. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 AM

871 posts, read 2,688,928 times
I had to do it again, I'd still choose Wylie because of the combination of cheap huge new/newer house + FIOS, but after all the construction related to US 75 construction in/near Allen (incl. Sam Rayburn Tollway interchange) is completed, Allen would be very nice. You can still get FIOS, still get large new/newer homes, with the added benefit of being closer to just about everything I would want: movie theaters incl. Gold Class Cinemas, rest of The Village at Fairview, outlet mall, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 AM

25 posts, read 60,539 times
P.S. I really like what Stonebridge has to offer....very social!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas